Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased this lightly used Remington 783 in .223. Seems like a really nice rifle for the money for use at the range for leisurely shooting. My other .223's both have heavy barrels and are tiring to shoot except when using a rest or bipod under the fore-end so this should be easy to hand hold and really shoot. Looks real nice in the pics. I've read they are good rifles but the synthetic stocks most models wore were pretty flimsy feeling though they didn't affect the rifle's accuracy which was right there with the 700. This should be a gem.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Stock sure is an improvement over the synthetic ones I have seen on the 783. Like how the forend of stock has some flaring to it. Similar to my 700 ADL from 1984. Hope it meets your accuracy expectations. Pretty sure Remington will be making this model along with the 700 according to the CEO. Sure hope they do well with sales.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
I really like my 783 .308, my handloads can put 3 inside a 1" square at 100 yards and the Nosler 168gr ballistic tip ones will literally explode a big can of refried beans at the same distance lol. All I've done is thread the barrel for a brake and install a cover on the flat bolt handle that just never felt right to me.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Stock sure is an improvement over the synthetic ones I have seen on the 783. Like how the forend of stock has some flaring to it. Similar to my 700 ADL from 1984. Hope it meets your accuracy expectations. Pretty sure Remington will be making this model along with the 700 according to the CEO. Sure hope they do well with sales.
I was looking at ADL's and BDL's and the prices are out of sight. I saw this used 223 Varmint at Cabelas ..
"Only" $1899!!! WTH!
View attachment 174692
I looked around online and all the wood stocks on the 783's for sale were uncheckered and nothing like this one. It's not a 700 but still should be a great shooter for my use.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Thanks for reply. Yeah I caught the price of incoming 1100s from either Kittery Trading Post in Maine or a Cabelas. Around $1250 when they come in! Holy Sh**. The new 870 Fieldmaster not bad. Saw a couple for $519. Check out that new 783 I saw online. Short barrel rifle with synthetic stock. Glad I bought my 700 back in 84.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for reply. Yeah I caught the price of incoming 1100s from either Kittery Trading Post in Maine or a Cabelas. Around $1250 when they come in! Holy Sh**. The new 870 Fieldmaster not bad. Saw a couple for $519. Check out that new 783 I saw online. Short barrel rifle with synthetic stock. Glad I bought my 700 back in 84.
Yeah the new ones aren't cheap for sure, though I think we all got conditioned to seeing the close-out black rifles that everyone was liquidating at give-away pricing.

·
Wonderment :)
36,174 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Thanks for the link Craig. Am warming up to the improved version over the Express. Matte finish but at least it is walnut and the blackening finish is suppose to be superior to the former. Wonder if it is a Black Oxide like Ruger makes on their guns? Looking for a gun that can double for field and trap range to give my 1100 a break. At least it would be good for steel shot if I ever got forced into using it for Upland. Heard on S&W Forum New York may require it next year

·
Registered
I love any and all firearms, also love archery hunting.
350 Posts
Several years ago I was looking for a 300 Win Mag, always wanted one. Ft Lewis, Washington PX had a Remington 783 300 Win Mag on sale for $230 out the door. I figured for that price I could spend some extra money on it and make a really good rifle, maybe a new trigger and stock. I put a Vortex 3x12 BDC scope on it and took it to the range and with a couple of different kinds of ammo I was getting under one inch groups and 100 yards. I haven't changed a thing on it and it shoots like a $1000+ gun. My elk hunting takes me into the Olympic and Cascade Mountains here in Washington state. I'm not worried about carrying it through the thick brush and rocky slopes because the stock it just a cheap synthetic stock. I love my 783.

My son bought one in .308, at the same sale, and put a new Boyds stock and trigger on it and it's a really good shooting rifle as well.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Accuracy does not seem to suffer despite the addition of synthetic replacing walnut. The barrels on these guns don't seem to have lost accuracy. Great news as shortcuts had to be taken to keep costs down. Friend had a Ruger American which is ugly as sin but shot like a house a fire.

·
Registered
I love any and all firearms, also love archery hunting.
350 Posts
Accuracy does not seem to suffer despite the addition of synthetic replacing walnut. The barrels on these guns don't seem to have lost accuracy. Great news as shortcuts had to be taken to keep costs down. Friend had a Ruger American which is ugly as sin but shot like a house a fire.
I have a Ruger American in .270 and it will group under an inch with the right ammo. Very nice trigger.

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
I just purchased this lightly used Remington 783 in .223. Seems like a really nice rifle for the money for use at the range for leisurely shooting. My other .223's both have heavy barrels and are tiring to shoot except when using a rest or bipod under the fore-end so this should be easy to hand hold and really shoot. Looks real nice in the pics. I've read they are good rifles but the synthetic stocks most models wore were pretty flimsy feeling though they didn't affect the rifle's accuracy which was right there with the 700. This should be a gem.

I had a Brand new 783 in 270. ok. Sighting in at the range , out of 15 shots the Rifle failed to pick 3 rounds. Now I I,ve been in guns long enough to know I was working the bolt correctly for each extraction and each new round picked up from the clip.Sent the Gun back to Remington to check it.Took a good 8 to 9 weeks to get the 283 back. Remington said they fired (4) rounds and found no problem. Next day I traded the Gun for a Savage. Just a story thats all. Your 283 looks beautiful.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I had a Brand new 783 in 270. ok. Sighting in at the range , out of 15 shots the Rifle failed to pick 3 rounds. Now I I,ve been in guns long enough to know I was working the bolt correctly for each extraction and each new round picked up from the clip.Sent the Gun back to Remington to check it.Took a good 8 to 9 weeks to get the 283 back. Remington said they fired (4) rounds and found no problem. Next day I traded the Gun for a Savage. Just a story thats all. Your 283 looks beautiful.
Yeah that's pretty bad when a bolt action can't feed reliably. Hoping mine has no issues. Still haven't spotted another online anywhere with the same stock as mine. It just arrived at the FFL. Will pickup this weekend. Hoping all my recent purchases arrive so I can make one trip.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Yeah that's pretty bad when a bolt action can't feed reliably. Hoping mine has no issues. Still haven't spotted another online anywhere with the same stock as mine. It just arrived at the FFL. Will pickup this weekend. Hoping all my recent purchases arrive so I can make one trip.
Sounds like your doin OK on scoffing up nice vintage stuff despite the rip-off gas, food, and oil prices. Hope you like that Rem Model Four. Super shiny and glossy stock the way I like em. As far as I'm concerned that newer Remington Fieldmaster 870 will make a decent field and Trap gun to supplement my 1100. Might make some trades comin up. My interests have changed a bit as far as shootin.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks. I just bought another unfired Winchester 100, but in .243 which is what I had actually wanted when the .308 came along first. Price was really good but the stock has a couple small safe dings and the wood is not as spectacular. I may swap stocks with the .308 I just bought, which is nicer wood and keep the .243 instead. The 30-06 Remington has a cool factor so it stays. I am in the process of shuffling my gun priorities too ad contemplating selling off my other 30.06's and .270's and stick with my .243's and .223's that I'm more comfortable with.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts