Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Several years ago I gave my eldest son a LNIB 7mm Savage. For various reasons he hasn't fired more than a few rounds thru it, and those were to accurize the scope on the rifle. His job has changed to where he is in need of a pistol. I trading him one of two semi-auto pistols I never shoot. One is a S&W .40 and the other is a 9mm Firestar.
I haven't seen the Savage in so long I've forgotten what it looks like.

Question:
What is the difference between a 7 mm and a 7 mm.08 as far as ammo goes. Please forgive this stupid question, but I don't know.

Thanks

Doc

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I take it your caliber is a 7mm Remington Mag. They both shoot a 7mm (.284) bulet, the Remington Mag just shoots the same bullet a few hundred fps faster. The 7mm-08 is a short action cartridge, where the 7mm Rem is a standard length cartridge.

The 7mm Rem ammo will probably cost a bit more.

·
Banned
1,236 Posts
Is your Savage rifle chambered in 7MM Remington Magnum?If it is,the difference between 7MM-08,and 7MM Remington Magnum is power and range.With the 7MM Remington Magnum being the big Dog on the porch.

·
Registered
740 Posts
I take it your caliber is a 7mm Remington Mag. They both shoot a 7mm (.284) bulet, the Remington Mag just shoots the same bullet a few hundred fps faster. The 7mm-08 is a short action cartridge, where the 7mm Rem is a standard length cartridge.
The 7mm Rem ammo will probably cost a bit more.
Thanks for the info.I had wondered myself what the difference was twixt 7mm mm Mag and 7mm.08 myself. I have Savage short and long action rifles but not in .284. For instance my Savage .30-06 is long action and the .223 is short action.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts