7X57 Another Good Read

Discussion in 'General Rifle' started by mouser868, Aug 3, 2020.

1. rando

rando G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Maryland
    Nice link on the 7x57 as a hunting cartridge. That was one long article with a lot of info. I buy PPU ammo for mine but I have a few cans of Military surplus ammo that I am saving.

jwrauch likes this.

2. Stickman

Stickman Less well known member Forum Contributor

Thanks for the article. I love my 7mm Mauser.

FortyXDM, jwrauch and ChaZam like this.
  3. Jim Bridger

Jim Bridger G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

I have a Mauser full stocked 7X57. It has been with me for over 40 years. It has seen the wicked Winters in the Rocky Mtns from a saddle scabbard.
    That said, I have seen far more .30-06 rifles over the years.:)

jwrauch, rando and ChaZam like this.
  4. ChaZam

ChaZam G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

I would spend a few bucks on a 98 Mauser in 7x57 if I could find a good one. Seems I've stumbled onto lots of them over the years only to find out they were deeply pitted on the underside of the barrel and/or receiver.

rando likes this.
  5. rando

Maryland
    I have found that most of the ones used in South America have the rust and pitting issues. I have three Spanish M1916 Small ring rifles with no rust or pitting. Its harder to find a Large Ring 98 Action rifle these days chambered in 7x57. Prices are ridiculous these days on these old Mauser rifles.

jwrauch and ChaZam like this.
  6. rando

Maryland
    Jim is yours customized or a sporter or is it original Military. I used to see Winchester M70 in 7x57 .

ChaZam likes this.
  7. PaleHawkDown

PaleHawkDown G&G Evangelist

7X57 is my second favorite cartridge, my first being .303 Brit. It is nice to have something that puts all the punishment on the target rather than the shooter.

The older I get the more of a wuss I become. I don't need to show off my shoulder bruise to my friends or have a crippled wrist for a couple of days from some magnum revolver load.

FortyXDM, mdj696, shanebrews and 2 others like this.
  8. Huey Rider

Huey Rider G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

upload_2020-8-4_19-50-41.jpeg

Argentine Mauser my dad had sporterized back in the early ‘60’s. bagged deer and moose with it. I inherited it and haven’t had it to the range since then even though I shot it and hunted with it before he passed. Has a Williams peep sight; accurate shooter.

Palladin8, ChaZam and rando like this.
  9. rando

Maryland
    Very nice! Nice iron sights on it too. I like the Argentines but dont see them much at all anymore. I liked the carbines they made called an Engineers Carbine.

Huey Rider and ChaZam like this.
  10. rando

Maryland
    Here is a pic of the Engineers carbine I would like to have.

[​IMG]

Palladin8, Huey Rider and ChaZam like this.