close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

8 x 57

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Michael M, Jul 4, 2002.

1. Michael M

Michael M G&G Newbie

I recently tried a light load for targets in 8x57 Mauser. Got out the Lyman manual, picked up some 150 gr bullets, and since I had IMR 4831 & 3031, tried a starting load of each as listed in the manual. Both worked fine, in fact I'm delighted with the Turk 38. No signs of excessive pressures in either load. Later, I noticed that the load listed in the Lyman manual as starting load for IMR3031 is WAY above the maximum load as listed by IMR or in the Lee book. I've looked in three other manuals since, and I see both load ranges listed! IMR says 31 up to max 34.5 grs of 3031, Lyman says 44 up to 49 grs. I will be staying with the IMR4831. I was wondering if the discrepancy could be because of the .318/.323 bore size variations? The people at IMR couldn't say anything except that this was their recommendations, naturally. But why not the same discrepancy with the other powder? Very curious. I will be double checking all suggested data from now on, even from recognized sources like these.

2. jarcp

jarcp G&G Newbie

Michael, That is precisely why it is always a good idea to have more than one reference for load data.

3. Shaun

Shaun G&G Evangelist

I use a 180gr cast bullet with 28 grains of 4895 IMR and its a nice hunting load with almost no recoil

4. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

Michael, Lee has always stayed on the conservative side on their loading data. Their a good starting point for those new to reloading, less chance of gun damage. Once your comfortable, then go with the other company's hotter loads, working up carefully of course.