Taurus 856

Discussion in 'Taurus' started by john_r, May 17, 2018.

1. john_r

john_r G&G Evangelist

Jax, Fla
    This is the new 6-round revolver they just came out with, selling in the low $300s. Since it's J-frame size and holds 6 shots, I was intrigued. Being a Taurus, it gave me a queasy feeling but this thing locks up tighter than any other revolver I've had and seems ok. I haven't shot it yet. The grips feel very good, and look well designed. I don't even mind the stylized bull logo on the side plate.

Here it is next to my favorite carry piece, a S&W 640. Note the size difference, or lack thereof.

[​IMG]

With Ruger stuffing extra rounds into their revolvers, I think it's time S&W found a way to get 6 rounds into a J-frame size package.

2. Kmcdowell

Kmcdowell G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Omaha NE
    From the opinions of those I know who own Taurus revolvers, I've not heard a complaint. Is that 6 round J frame a 38 special or a .357 Magnum?

3. john_r

john_r G&G Evangelist

Jax, Fla
    The S&W 640 is .357. I've never shot .357 through it and don't plan to. .38+P is fine.

Near as I can tell, the Taurus is .38 SP ONLY, no +P.

4. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Evangelist

The main problem I found with the Taurus small 38 revolvers was the soft metal they used for the star wheel on the back of the cylinder would start to wear from the pawl engagement. After a couple hundred rounds, there was noticeable wear. This was back in the early part of the new century (2002-2004), and may have been fixed by now. Just keep track of your round count, and watch for wear on that part. If it shoots good, and doesn't wear excessively, you will have a keeper.

5. john_r

john_r G&G Evangelist

Jax, Fla
    I shot 100 rounds of WWB through it today and it's a keeper. I suspect the black finish will wear off at the high points but that doesn't bother me. The black finish will show pawl wear if it happens.

When your first rounds come out like this without really trying, you know it's a good omen. It's only 7 yards, but I just wanted to get a feel for it. It's very comfortable to shoot, but the soft Kahr-like nubs on the backstrap do tend to grate after about 75 rounds. Not much, but it's noticeable.

[​IMG]

10 yard target on the left, 7 on the right. Most of the other holes in the cardboard were from a previous shooter.

[​IMG]

MoDoc and Ten Man like this.
  6. jerry

jerry Since 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    Looks pretty nice. I would be hard pressed to give up on my LCR in .357. If I felt like I needed 6 holes, I could deal with a LCR in .327 mag and be okay.

7. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Evangelist

I have had a S&W 640 since 1999. It is an awesome carry gun. I'll take 5 rounds of .357 Magnum over 6 rounds of .38 Special, ANY day.