870 express trouble

Discussion in 'Remington' started by pollett43, Sep 26, 2010.

1. Alright, so here's the deal, i bought an 870 express pump 12 ga. (3 1/2'' chamber) when it shoots lighter rounds like 2 3/4'' target rounds it's fine, but i use it quite a bit for waterfoul. When i use more powerful rounds for hunting, the gun will fire the first shot perfectly, but, when the round is fired it seems to lock the shell into the chamber and it takes an incredible ammount of force to pump the bolt back and eject the shell, it's like trying to pump a cocked gun, without pressing the release button, it doesn't happen all the time, only one every 10 or 15 shots. I'm not sure if anyone else has experienced this, but i'm wondering if i should just get a new gun, like a benelli supernova. Either way, i hear many people like the 870 models, but i would also like to know if this is a common problem. (and yes...the last time it jammed i had just disassembled the gun, cleaned and oiled it because i was on my way goose hunting. Of course, the geese flew in, and the first shot winged one, and the shell wouldn't pump from the chamber)

2. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

Are you shooting 3 inch or 3-1/2 inch shells ?

3. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

Unless you Have the SUPER Express magnum,(Marked for 3.5 inch shells on the barrel) you are limited to 3 inch shells , the chamber is 3-1/2 inches to allow for the shell to open when fired.
    The open end of the shell is going into the barrel section jamming it !

4. no, i do have a super magnum reciever, and thats not how it's jamming, the shell will stay in the chamber it'self. like i said earlier, it's like tying to pump a gun thats still cocked, thanks though, and i know what your saying is correct, because a buddy of mine has the same 870 as me, only i have the super mag. reciever, and he doesn't so he can only shoot 3 inch shells,

5. youtube link that shows the problem

recently found a video on youtube that shows my problem EXACTLY, watch it, and the jam happens at 1:15, or so. if you are reading this, click on the link and give me a response if you know ANYTHING about pump shotguns, or even this one specifically, or at least let me know what you think, all comments are welcome. Here's the link, do it up... [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNJerWZL24g]YouTube - Remington 870 Express trap shooting (jam at 1:15)[/ame]

6. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

Is YOUR BARREL Marked for 3-1/2 inch shells ?
    IF so, you may have to find a different Brand of shell to use...
    If after firing the bolt is locked , will it eject the spent shell OK if you manually work the Bolt lock release ?

7. Kaybe

Kaybe G&G Evangelist

Ohio
    Mooseman is right. Be sure the barrel is marked 3 1/2 inch, not just the receiver. Sounds like an ammo problem.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2010
  8. the gun is has both a 3 and a half reciever and barrel

Nope, it's all good, i know both the barrel and reciever are marked 3 and a half, and this happens with all types of ammo, from black cloud to hevi shot, all high powered hunting load. Like i said, the lighter loads though, like target loads, fire perfectly. Then, like you asked, i tried to push the bolt release button, and that didn't work either, because it feels like it's already been pushed, so i don't know whats going on. Actually, in the comments in this video on youtube, there's another user that has the same problem as me, so maybe it's a problem with some of the guns? even though i agree, all signs seem to point to an ammo problem. But all the same, i've tried lots of different types of ammo, and all good guality hunting loads will jam. Could it be my gun can't handle heavier loads? because the more powerful the shell, the more frequent the jamming happens.

9. and, the only way to eject the spent shell is to try and pump it a few times to work the bolt free, as in the video

10. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

Ok so we have now narrowed it down...It Has to be a chamber/ Headspace issue, as the spent shells are "Binding" into the chamber of the Barrel...
    I would either Have a Qualified Remington Gunsmith Look at it , Or return it To Remington for Exam/repair...

11. ok, sounds like a good idea, thanks for all the imput man, now i know where to come if i need something else ahah

12. franchi

franchi Guest

I have had this problem with reloads in my 870. What i found out was that the head was expanding and not contracting with some of the hotter loads i was using. try using different shells

13. But wouldn't all high powered Hunting loads fire hot? I mean it only makes sense that a the bigger the bang the hotter the shell, and when you're hunting big birds like geese you really want lots of power to get under the feathers effectively. So if my alternative is to use weaker shells then it's worth it to go and buy another gun that can handle the big shells which results in more dead birds, does that make any sense? I'm not sure how if that's how it works, but I seems logical to me

14. Kaybe

Kaybe G&G Evangelist

Ohio
    another "slight" possibility, the action bar release button may have a weak spring. The arm that sticks up to lock the action bars may be bent. Clean it good, look for burrs. I hope you find the problem, the 870 is a good gun.

15. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

Make sure you are forcing the action forward with some authority to ensure the extractor gets over the brass. If you are, or it doesn't help, can you swap barrels out with someone to test it ? If not, I would contact Remington for a new barrel.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2010
  16. I'm with Kaybe on this one. Check the end of the LH action bar for burrs and also the action bar release on the trigger group. Give them a very light stoning and put the slickest gun grease you have on them.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2010
  17. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

Please, Just take it to a Gunsmith !

18. He knows what he is talking about