Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone here know where I can find some 8x57JR rounds for my old rifle? I have tried several different places on line including, "Rifle Doctor; Orvis; and Old Western Scrounger." Still no luck....

·
Premium Member
9,653 Posts
PPU Makes it and also Sellier & Bellot US. If you go onto Sellier and Bellot website and then in the right upper corner you click on sales I think. Then it has a place to click onto online distributors that carry their ammo. Its quite a few common places you can order it from. I am not sure all who carry PPU but I am sure like Sportsmans Guide does. They both make it and distribute it.

·
Registered
5,293 Posts
Bought a box of the PPU ammo a while back. Loaded any hotter than the Remington or Federal stuff? Only paid $15 per box. Lot cheaper than the Remington ammo at BassPro for $35.

·
Premium Member
9,653 Posts
Does anyone here know where I can find some 8x57JR rounds for my old rifle? I have tried several different places on line including, "Rifle Doctor; Orvis; and Old Western Scrounger." Still no luck....
Ernest I found Palmetto State Armory has it in stock online for $12.97 box. Its Sellier&Bellot brand 196 grain SP. Also found Selway Armory has 37 boxes in stock at $13.35 a box. That is PPU Prvi Partisan and also 196 grain SP.

·
Premium Member
6,598 Posts
Ernest I found Palmetto State Armory has it in stock online for $12.97 box. Its Sellier&Bellot brand 196 grain SP. Also found Selway Armory has 37 boxes in stock at $13.35 a box. That is PPU Prvi Partisan and also 196 grain SP.
Those are for the 8x57JRS, not the 8x57JR. The difference being the JRS uses a 323" bullet, whereas the JR uses a .318" bullet.

I would check the bore diameter. Many of the old JR barreled guns were rebarreled to the later JRS dimension. If it truly a 8x57JR, ammunition will be harder to find.

·
Premium Member
9,653 Posts
Those are for the 8x57JRS, not the 8x57JR. The difference being the JRS uses a 323" bullet, whereas the JR uses a .318" bullet.

I would check the bore diameter. Many of the old JR barreled guns were rebarreled to the later JRS dimension. If it truly a 8x57JR, ammunition will be harder to find.
Tom he will have to figure out if he has the JR or JRS. Only Ernest would know that if he replies back. Not sure what model or year Mauser rifle he has,

·
Premium Member
6,598 Posts
Tom he will have to figure out if he has the JR or JRS. Only Ernest would know that if he replies back. Not sure what model or year Mauser rifle he has,
Yep. It may not even be a Mauser.

Reactions: rando

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,359 Posts
Properly "I" instead of "J". For "Infanterie". Somehow it gets barstageized into a "J".

Reactions: shop tom

·
Premium Member
24,593 Posts
@Jay, can you move this Mauser ammo related thread from the "shotgun" forum to a appropriate forum perhaps? And thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
4,556 Posts
@Jay, can you move this Mauser ammo related thread from the "shotgun" forum to a appropriate forum perhaps? And thanks in advance.
Jay's too slow so I got it guess the old age thing comes to mind. Anyways on the 8x57JR. First off the "J" is Jäger where this shows itself mainly is in the bullet diameter. Your run of the mill 8mm Mauser ammo has a diameter around .318 where as the Jäger cartridge has a diameter closer to .323. The "R" is obviously a stamping for rimmed. Because of the size difference and rimmed vs unrimmed regular 8mm Mauser would be a very bad idea to shoot in a JR caliber rifle.

·
Old man, No tact...
12,367 Posts
How about here in the Mauser forum?

Reactions: ChaZam

·
Registered
6,900 Posts
Jay's too slow so I got it guess the old age thing comes to mind. Anyways on the 8x57JR. First off the "J" is Jäger where this shows itself mainly is in the bullet diameter. Your run of the mill 8mm Mauser ammo has a diameter around .318 where as the Jäger cartridge has a diameter closer to .323. The "R" is obviously a stamping for rimmed. Because of the size difference and rimmed vs unrimmed regular 8mm Mauser would be a very bad idea to shoot in a JR caliber rifle.
Agreed, especially since standard 8mm headspaces off the shoulder of the cartridge and Jager headspaces off the rim of the shell

Reactions: jwrauch

·
Premium Member
4,556 Posts
Agreed, especially since standard 8mm headspaces off the shoulder of the cartridge and Jager headspaces off the rim of the shell
Of course I forgot to post the obvious one. Kind of forgot rimmed rounds headspace off the rim.

Reactions: gsbuickman

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,359 Posts
For clarity, wiki says of the cartridge designation.....
"The widespread use in German military Gewehr 98 and Karabiner 98k service rifles designed and manufactured by Mausercaused the "Mauser" tag, though the Mauser company had nothing to do with the development of this cartridge.[7]

The letter "J" often mentioned by English speaking sources is actually an "I" for Infanterie (German for "infantry"). A stamped "I" at the cartridge bottom in writing styles used in the past in Germany could be easily mistaken for a "J". Even in the 21st century the "I" is often substituted by a "J" in English speaking communities and German ammunition manufacturers often write "JS" instead of "IS" to avoid confusing customers. The letter "S" stands for Spitzgeschoß("pointed bullet"), and the English designation "spitzer" for that style of bullet is derived from this German term."

8x57mm_IS_RWS_cartridge_cases.jpg

·
Registered
6,900 Posts
Of course I forgot to post the obvious one. Kind of forgot rimmed rounds headspace off the rim.
Most of the time I actually prefer rimmed cartridges like the 30-30, 54R & the 8mm x56R because the headspace is off the rim, it's consistent and technically it can't change, but shoulders on shells can, which is why I have about 250 rounds of 6.5 Grendel that I have to pull apart. Idk how or why but they won't chamber because the shoulders are off, so I have to pull them all apart and run them thru my special order RCBS dies & resize the cases so I can put them back together again :mad: ...

1 - 20 of 34 Posts