Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Graf & Sons has some 8mm sniper ammo for $6.99 per 15 rounds. Anyone here tried any of it?

I ordered 30 rounds just to try it and compare it with my handloads.

Nick

·
Registered
186 Posts
Never tried it but you can't beat that price in my neighborhood(Massachusetts)! Even if it was standard ball it'd be a bargain.

·
Registered
186 Posts
"Sniper" ammo is either loaded to a higher pressure and/or held to a closer tolerance than the standard milspec. It's interchangeable with the standard-issue but some select-fire weapons may not cycle it properly. If you're offerred "sniper" (especially if the seller wants more $$ for it) ammo, make sure there really was such a thing produced by the country of origin. There's a lot of snake oil salesmen out there.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Sounds like a BS term used to sell ammo at a higher price. Why would a sniper need ammo loaded to higher pressure?

·
Registered
186 Posts
I don't know but it's not unheard of. The russians offered a high-pressure load for their bolt-action rifles. In a semiautoweapon it was known to cause hard extraction and pierced primers. It was deemed safe but not recommended because it added a lot of wear and tear to the action.
Another reason for "sniper" ammunition is to support military rifle teams in interservice competition.

·
Registered
8,754 Posts
I'm sure it will work fine. I just wish it wasn't so darned expensive. I really missed the boat on cheap 8MM surplus.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
"Sniper" ammo is either loaded to a higher pressure and/or held to a closer tolerance than the standard milspec. It's interchangeable with the standard-issue but some select-fire weapons may not cycle it properly. If you're offerred "sniper" (especially if the seller wants more $$ for it) ammo, make sure there really was such a thing produced by the country of origin. There's a lot of snake oil salesmen out there.
This is the .308 long range match ammo contracted for US Military snipers use. Whether other contries had designated "Sniper Ammo" or not, I really don't know.

I tried to go to the Lake City Arsenel site for their discription, but this thing shut down when I did. I tried a diferent approach abnd came up with this.

http://www.the-armory.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/M118_762X51_308mil.html

Nick

·
Registered
186 Posts
Thanks Nick. I was pretty sure Lake City turned out some kind of high-end ammunition. I think the Brits may have done the same thing for a while. Anyone looking for "sniper" ammo should learn a little about headstamps, lots and arsenal codes before paying for it.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
JSnover, the other day I was looking for a site I thought I had put into my favorites, it was a site dedicated to headstamp identification. Do you know of it?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I had the chance to go to the range today and try out the M75 8mm "Sniper" ammo. Here are my results. I put this page together pretty quick, so please disreguard the typos.

Some of my RIFLE RANGE STUFF

Nick

·
Registered
186 Posts
Curious, Nick; Which rifles did you use? I don't know how the Germans did it but in the US a rifle wouldn't be issued as a "sniper" weapon until it passed a handful of quality checks (air-gage the barrel, etc.). Even so, I'd eaxpect "sniper" ammo to do a little better.
Thanks for posting your range report.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
You're welcome. I just built the pafge in about 20 minutes to show the results. I hope it made sense.

I used an M98 Mauser I bought at Classic Arms. It was not sold as a sniper rifle, and I have no reason to think it was/is. It is a pretty fair shooter though.

I just figured the M75 ammo would do better than it did. A box of remington 8mm Mauser I bought and shot months ago, shot better than the M75 ammo.

Nick

·
Registered
186 Posts
Yeah, that's a little disappointing but it's still great rifle. I keep telling myself to buy one before the prices get ridiculous.
I wonder if anyone here knows the German specs for that rifle. I once read the US ordinance spec for the 1903 Springfield only required 3 MOA for acceptance. '98 Mausers and '03 Springfields are military icons now but back in the day they were designed and built as basic tools for infantrymen.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Glad I stocked up on 8mm when I had the chance. I cannot believe those prices... I am sure there is plenty of 8mm stocked away in warehouses somewhere, hopefully we can get more shipped into the states (and at reasonable prices...).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts