Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to get into handloading and i have a question. How fast would you be able to push a 180 grain ballistic tip bullet from an yugo M-48 mauser. What would be the hottest load that is safe for a old rifle like this. what kind of energy and pressure would that have. thanks in advance for the help.

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
i recommend that you pick up a few loading manuals. they will give all the basics of how to reload, what to look for, how to do it. they will also list minimum and maximum safe loads in just about any cartridge you'd care to load. max safe loads for what you are looking for will be in the neighborhood of 2600fps.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Have a gunsmith check your rifle before you shoot any handloads. Yugos are good rifles, but there is always the potential for a problem.

US commercial 8mm ammo is intentionally loaded light because of all the ancient, questionable, and modified rifles out there. Also because of the J-bore (.318) barrels on the older rifles. Your Yugo will have the .323 bore, so no prob there.

Assuming your Yugo checks out, it **should** be safe with any load in current loading books. Work up from the bottom slowly and carefully. I use 4064 with the 150 gr bullets, 4350 with the heavier bullets.

The 8mm Mauser round is a terrific cartridge, fully as good as the .30-06 aside from bullet selection. Makes a good elk round with the heavier bullets, at reasonable ranges. I hunt with a WWII Steyr that still has the military barrel in a sporter stock. Shoots an inch at 100. Plenty of punch.

European 8mm ammo is plenty hot, probably hotter than handloads from the manuals. I shot RWS ammo in Germany, and it belted me good! Of course the skinny stock on the M-S I borrowed didn't help.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Start at the starting load and work up 1/2 a grain at a time. Check fr signs of pressure as you increase the load. As soon as you get an indication of pressure, back off the load a bit.

Nick

·
Resident Sasquatch
9,496 Posts
Hodgdon and Accurate have some of the hotter loads available for the 8x57 but, as stated earlier, make sure the gun is safe before you go building max loads for it. The Hodgdon Manual comes in magazine form and can sometimes be found at Wal-Mart or your local book store. H4895 is the powder recommended by Hodgdon for almost all 8x57 loads (I called them) and as such, here is what's in the manual for THIS POWDER ONLY using the Nosler 180 B.T. First is the start load and next is the MAX load:
Start: H4895 41.0 gr 2387 fps 36,300 CUP
MAX: H4895 47.7 gr. 2691 fps 49,300 CUP
BLC-2 is another good option as well as Varget. Here is the link for Accurates load pages: http://www.accuratepowder.com/loaddata_caliber.htm

1 - 5 of 5 Posts