Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would it take to get a high-capacity semi-automatic rifle chambered for 8x57, 30-06 or the like? I don't want something huge like the M1 Garand, but something about the size and weight of an AK47 or AR15. I know the recoil would be obscene, but you're talking to a guy who thinks 3" Rifled slugs are fun because they bruise him.

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,021 Posts
Many .308 rifles might be a bit tight for the longer 8X57 cartridge. Once the Saiga .30-06 is availabe, that would be the one to use! A custom .323" barrel would be the greatest expense. :)
On the .308, higher capacity magazines are supposed to be available now.
With the demise of the hated AWB, am I right in believing we can cobble up our own high-caps now too? You could modify an FAL or HK mag to work, with a little effort.

·
Registered
226 Posts
If you like to be brused I have the perfact brese maker, usually large then spreads as the days go by. 1891 arg mauser,fitted with a browning 50 cal barrel useing a 460 Wby case necked up to 50,Savage 110 stock with a metal but plate. I use a 750 gr cast (.513) around 2200 FPS Its slow but so is the bruse that apears with in minutes. only a 22'' barrel but let you "dosch firer spiten loudern boomer" A friend said " how bad could it be" Made some rounds and went to the indoor pistol range where we set up 10 bowling pins at 33 ft and handed my domb friend the rifle. He launched most of the pins 75 ft and didn't fire another round for the rest of the night. He said on the way home this is the second time and I will never say "how bad could it be" first was when I told him that I grew the hotest peppers that I have ever had. I laughed as his bruse got bigger.

·
Registered
11,913 Posts
I'd like a milder 50 cal round that would have a relatively short case and use BMG bullets, but would fit in a Mauser or 1917 action. Or at most a Ruger #1 where length wouldn't be an issue.

·
Registered
11,913 Posts
Oh, and I too have a hankering for long action semi-autos, but I expect them to be large rifles. I don't consider the M1 Garand too big at all. You might consider a paratrooper Romak 3/SSG/PSL, it's basically a beeked up AK (RPK) with an 18" barrel, firing the 7.62x54R, which is about the same as a 30-06.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
BattleRifleG3 said:
Oh, and I too have a hankering for long action semi-autos, but I expect them to be large rifles. I don't consider the M1 Garand too big at all. You might consider a paratrooper Romak 3/SSG/PSL, it's basically a beeked up AK (RPK) with an 18" barrel, firing the 7.62x54R, which is about the same as a 30-06.
That is exaclty what I'm looking for.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts