Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone! I got a m48 yugo and have been looking into some surplus ammo for it. Seems as though there is a lot of good and bad across various forums.
Do you guys have any suggestions of stuff to look for, or stay away from?

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Stay away from ammo labeled with Cyrillic script. It's most likely Bulgarian and you can expect about a 1/4 of the box functions properly. This is also a 15 count box if it's the original package.

·
Registered
21,475 Posts
To amend what Shane said, if it is in Cyrillic, maybe do a quick search on it before buying. I've never personally had a problem with Bulgarian ammo, but I've never had Bulgarian 8x57 - just 7.62x54r. Yugoslavian ammo is pretty good, Romanian 8x57 actually comes in two types and one type is weirdly oversized and will not chamber in most Mausers. That seems to be the majority of what has been popping up lately.

Avoid most ammo with Arabic writing on it, too. Most Egyptian ammo is fine if it is later production, but the older stuff has gotten hotter with age. The Iranian ammo is generally pretty good. Most other Arab ammo should be avoided.

Turkish ammo is pretty good if you find it.

Czech and Yugo surplus are both good bets, and the Austrian ammo has dried up, but it is good.

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
Forgot the maker of the last crap I bought to shoot out of that BYF mixer I had years back but were a couple of hang fires. Enough for me. Probably junk from the 50s. Only kept around some PPU and Federal stuff right now.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Forgot the maker of the last crap I bought to shoot out of that BYF mixer I had years back but were a couple of hang fires. Enough for me. Probably junk from the 50s. Only kept around some PPU and Federal stuff right now.
Yeah Iv read that the older stuff seems to be more problematic. The few options Iv been looking at closely are 70s-80s production yugo stuff primarily. I wish I could find some PPU or Federal. All I can get locally, and online seems to be 196gr S&B (which is fine) but I’d like try a couple options.

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
Yeah Iv read that the older stuff seems to be more problematic. The few options Iv been looking at closely are 70s-80s production yugo stuff primarily. I wish I could find some PPU or Federal. All I can get locally, and online seems to be 196gr S&B (which is fine) but I’d like try a couple options.
I hear ya. Good to stay away from. Scared the hell out of me. Often the Gun Shows have the PPU 185 grain stuff. Probably not as cheap as the $15 per 20 I paid but that was 7 years back. Almost fainted when I priced commercial 8MM from Remington or Federal last year. Was $45 per 20 rounds! Keep it

·
Registered
21,475 Posts
The Yugo ammo, in general IS PPU, you'll just see that reflected with the old cyrillic ППУ or ПП. There was more than one Czech factory, but most Czech ammo is S&B.

I forgot about Polish ammo, btw. It is usually really good, but like the Austrian ammo, it has mostly dried up. In a pinch Nicaraguan and Ecuadorian ammo are OK if they do not show signs of poor storage, these often pop up with nickle-coated bullets, and sometimes they have steel cores.

I found a guide to headstamps that might be of help, maybe 1/2 of the list applies to 8mm Mauser thanks to the Wehrmacht.

·
Premium Member
5,360 Posts
I have a tin of Romanian 7.9x57 that shoots very well, corrosive primers but they clean up with H20. I have a couple of boxes of FN 7.92X57 that is very clean and great shooting. The PPU stuff imho is excellent but if you want to reload it it need the necks to be annealed if you want the brass to last.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I bought some Turkish 8mm cheap. Went to the range fired 2 rounds and convinced why Germany lost the war. It kicked hard enough to kick the starch out f a bisquit. Load my own 8mm after that.
That’s what I thought with my new S&B 196gr! A box of 20 had me sore for almost a week. All Iv ever heard about Mausers are how great of shooters they are. Somehow they managed to dodge the “kicks like a mule” reputation the Mosin carbines have. What I got was a great shooter that feels just like an M44 Mosin in recoil.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Some of that Yugoslav stuff can be really potent. Conversely the newer spam cans, 340 rounds I think, are rather tame. They were loaded to a lower power level, so akin to 30-30 power levels. Not sure who made those spam cans, country, whatever, and not digging one out to check.
They were advertising that hot Yugo stuff as “sniper” ammo, it is hot. Put 50 rounds through a Turk Mauser one day, my shoulder was purple afterwards.
i am pretty sure those lower powered rounds in spam cans of 340 rounds were Romanian.

·
Registered
21,475 Posts
Some of that Yugoslav stuff can be really potent. Conversely the newer spam cans, 340 rounds I think, are rather tame. They were loaded to a lower power level, so akin to 30-30 power levels. Not sure who made those spam cans, country, whatever, and not digging one out to check.
They were advertising that hot Yugo stuff as “sniper” ammo, it is hot. Put 50 rounds through a Turk Mauser one day, my shoulder was purple afterwards.
Sometimes they used to advertise the hot Yugo stuff as being for Machine guns, too. I highly recommend the Yugo 7.62x25 labeled for the SMG if you have a CZ52.

*typo edited

·
Registered
21,475 Posts
Not to change the post. Long time ago I bought some Columbian 30/06. Fired 2 rounds in my Garand and receiver all but came out of the stock. Ended up taking them apart and threw them away.

But Colombian 30-06 is basically M1 ball. Garands should only ever use M2 Ball. When Colombia finally got the Garand they got it in 7.62 NATO - not 30-06.

·
Premium Member
10,156 Posts
I prefer to shoot the Yugo stuff and also I have plenty of PPU blue box stuff. I have been seeing the PPU Commercial stuff lately pop up from suppliers. I have so many cans of mixed military stuff I have accumulated through the years. I also have quite a bit turkish bandoliers I paid like $20 a bandolier for it back years ago. You hear so much gossip from guys saying how hot it is. It is fine in any 98 in good condition. Its was designed for the Turk Large Ring with Small ring threaded barrels. I never had an issue shooting the stuff before.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
I prefer to shoot the Yugo stuff and also I have plenty of PPU blue box stuff. I have been seeing the PPU Commercial stuff lately pop up from suppliers. I have so many cans of mixed military stuff I have accumulated through the years. I also have quite a bit turkish bandoliers I paid like $20 a bandolier for it back years ago. You hear so much gossip from guys saying how hot it is. It is fine in any 98 in good condition. Its was designed for the Turk Large Ring with Small ring threaded barrels. I never had an issue shooting the stuff before.
I am not worried for the guns health, it is mine that suffers after too much of that hot ammo.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts