9/24 Did You Know?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Huey Rider, Sep 24, 2020.

1. Huey Rider

Huey Rider G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

In order for decaffeinated coffee to be so labeled, under American federal regulations, it must have 97% of it’s caffeine removed.

neophyte, PAPA G and Jaison like this.
  2. neophyte

neophyte Wonderment :) Forum Contributor

Huey Rider: Sir; read on

https://www.homegrounds.co/how-is-coffee-decaffeinated/

Once upon a time (in 1905), a man named Ludwig Roselius decided that he wanted to decaffeinate some coffee. He theorised that if he moistened the beans to make the caffeine accessible, and then soaked them in benzene to draw the caffeine out, he’d have his wish. Those were the first decaffeinated beans. You can only imagine how they tasted. Benzene is a chemical that the National Cancer Institute today deems as carcinogenic (1).

Until recently, chemical extraction was the main method used. The chemicals inevitably left an aftertaste that affected the coffee’s flavour, giving decaffeinated its bad rep. Coffee manufacturers no longer use benzene to remove the caffeine and have turned to less harmful methods. However, in some cases, chemicals are still part of the process.

There are some major points that all decaffeination methods have in common:

Huey Rider likes this.

3. mitchr

mitchr G&G Evangelist

We found some decaf coffee that actually tasted pretty good. It was a dark roast & I think Folgers, but can't be sure. This was years ago, before my wife & I had computers, so couldn't go on the 'net. The store we were shopping in, quit handling it.

Huey Rider and neophyte like this.