$9.95

Discussion in 'Mosin Nagant' started by Felix's Tattoo, May 20, 2020 at 10:51 AM.

1. Felix's Tattoo

Felix's Tattoo G&G Evangelist

$9 .95, the price for the first Mosins that I can remember seeing for sale in the gun magazines in the early 50’s.

goat roper, jwrauch, Jaison and 7 others like this.
  2. rando

rando G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Maryland
    I remember buying two 91/30's at a gun show long ago. They had a table of them for $45 each. Cheapest I recall. I actually didnt know what they were at the time and new to me. I even collected Military surplus rifles at the time. I remember telling my son at the time how ugly they were. Well they had ammo for them so must of convinced me to buy two of them. I recall shooting them the first time. I actually reached around a tree and shot them using the tree for protection in case they blew apart. Like I say , I and others didnt know anything about them. I have bought many more since then and have a full crate of 91/30's in the basement. I use the crate of them for a table and has a table cloth over them. Most people would not recognize what it is. I have also bought quite a few of the M44 & type53 Carbines . I stopped buying once they hit over $100 a rifle.

goat roper, BigEd63, jwrauch and 6 others like this.

3. ChaZam

ChaZam G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Many years ago my dad ordered one out of the Sears & Roebuck catalog for just a few bucks. Strangely at that time none of us could find a source for any ammo for them. That would have been before GCA 68 went into effect...

goat roper, Jaison, blaster and 3 others like this.
  4. PaleHawkDown

PaleHawkDown G&G Evangelist

The lowest price I ever saw Mosins was $59.95. By the time I got interested in them, maybe a decade or more later, they had jumped all the way to $85.95 (or $89.95 for hand-picked).

goat roper, blaster, neophyte and 2 others like this.
  5. Baconbits

Baconbits G&G Enthusiast

My first Mosin from IO,Inc was $64.95. Told my brother to go half with me on a crate. He didn't listen and regrets it still. Haha

6. PaleHawkDown

PaleHawkDown G&G Evangelist

I'm sure I've mentioned this before, but I used to know some guys who don't even care about guns (considering they are a gay couple, and voted for Hillary, I would assume they hate guns), but he bought a whole crate of Mosins when they were cheap, installed lights in the crate and a permanently-affixed heavy glass top, and made a coffee table.

They collect exotic taxidermy and have this ultra-masculine basement that looked like a cross between a 19th Century African safari club, Apocalypse Now bunker, and cigar lounge.

They were part of the new Chamber of Commerce in a city where I worked, and they had a big party at their house to celebrate.

One of them had bought that entire crate for $249 decades ago and didn't care that the contents were worth several times that. The early crates came with Finns, dragoons and all sorts of other treasures from before people made distinction between one Mosin and another, and I couldn't even talk them into trading out some of mine for some of those, throwing in some money to boot, and putting their table back essentially the same way it was.

7. chesterwin

chesterwin G&G Evangelist

If I knew then what I know now... Several crates would have been a lot less expensive than the 1895 Winchester that was part of the Russian contract in 7.62x54R.

goat roper, ChaZam and BigEd63 like this.
  8. Felix's Tattoo

Felix's Tattoo G&G Evangelist

I just remembered something. The 9.95 Mosins I referenced were the early very long models, m.91? They had been in storage since the Spanish Civil War, were part of the aid from the USSR to the communist side in that struggle, and had been captured. There was quite a story I read somewhere about Interarmco and it’s founder, whose name I naturally cannot recall. Anyway, these Mosins were the very first surplus weapons deal that he brokered (from Franco.)

goat roper, ChaZam, BigEd63 and 2 others like this.
  9. SaigaAK74

SaigaAK74 G&G Evangelist

My first one was $40 bucks at the local gun show. I remember seeing tables upon tables of these Russian beauties, in all kinds of flavors. Good times....

goat roper, ChaZam and rando like this.
  10. AK Hunter

AK Hunter G&G Evangelist

My first Mosin was from a gun show. The guy had a bunch of them on the table for $50 but if you wanted to pick through the cases had behind the tables they Were $69. So my first Mosin cost me $69, it is a Polish circle 11 in a Hungarian stock. It was my best shooter until I bought the PU Sniper 91/30

goat roper, ChaZam, BigEd63 and 2 others like this.
  11. mdj696

mdj696 G&G Evangelist

I remember well they cost $10.00 around 1965. I bought one.

Baconbits, goat roper, ChaZam and 2 others like this.
  12. I bought a Westinghouse M91 for $27.00 and a Chicom T-53 for $23.00; those days are long gone. There are still some decent deals but you have to look, most surplus stuff is through the roof. It is good for the guys that bought when they were affordable...today the C&R is best on firearms that are over 50 years old...some deals can still be made.

Baconbits, goat roper, ChaZam and 3 others like this.
  13. goat roper

goat roper G&G Evangelist

I bought my first just because the guy who did transfers for me would do up to 3 guns for $20. I thought that I should take advantage of that, and get at least 2 at a time. I was going to order an AK from Buds Guns, so I looked through their catalog for something else. They had Mosins for $93 including shipping. I had no idea what it was, but it looked interesting. After I got it and shot it, I wanted more. My safe has a little over a dozen now.

K75RT and rando like this.
  14. I bought a Colombian Mauser, slightly sportserized ( Not Bubberized, it looked nice ) with a sling, a quantity of ammo and a Lee impact driver style reloader for $60 in 1981...

I really really wish I still had it.

goat roper and K75RT like this.