close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

95/34 @ J&G Sales

Discussion in 'Steyr' started by ChaZam, Nov 21, 2012.

1. ChaZam

ChaZam G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

2. Tha Dave

Tha Dave G&G Evangelist

Last edited: Nov 21, 2012

3. Brandhard

Brandhard G&G Evangelist

Or for those of us who weren't looking for an affordable Steyr before, now we are...

4. bobvonb

bobvonb G&G Evangelist

I had 4 of these a few months ago, traded one for Mosin, having one converted to 7.62x54R and one converted to a sporter. I kept the best one, looks almost unissued. I'm considering trading or selling it. It cost me $135 because of the good condition.

I have the hots for a Tokarev and somethings gotta go.

5. Tha Dave

Tha Dave G&G Evangelist

I know I am going to be slammed for this but how hard are these to scope?

6. bobvonb

bobvonb G&G Evangelist

no, it's a very reasonable question. I did it. BUT....

in a word, yes it's difficult. M95s are en bloc clip loaded from the top and with a scope there it is a single shot. So, I had 2 converted to bottom load and drilled and tapped. It took some elbow grease to get bases to fit and the bottom load is not real practical.

For no good reason, I still dream of building a M95M (an M95 converted to 8mm Mauser by the Germans) in 6mm Rem and/or 7x57. The big problem there is the extractor, it's too brittle for the rimless cartridges and are made of unobtainium. I have in mind having a Sako extractor installed. The M95Ms are top loaded into a fixed magazine, in this case a regular M95 clip fixed in place. I think that could be replaced with a standard box magazine, but this is still just a dream of mine. For example, I look at the M700 BDL clip magazine conversions meant for ADLs and wonder if that might not work with a little stock work.

I shoot my sporter conversion, and it works OK, and is for fun shooting. The bottom load needs something to hold it better, it's a friction close now. The trigger is REAL spongy. I wonder if some other trigger could be adapted on a one or two off basis. I don't imaging Bold or Timney will offer one any time soon, though I wish they would.

I bought 1 box of ammo thru Cabelas but I also bought a bunch of brass and bullets from Grafs (or was it Buffalo Arms?) and loaded my own. Lee offers dies. As far as I know there is no surplus ammo available anymore.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 22, 2012
  7. Lightweight

Lightweight G&G Enthusiast

bob, you are an evil evil man... how can you do this to me when I have had my eyes on a Chinese 56?!

8. Lightweight

Lightweight G&G Enthusiast

Converting to 7.62x54r is possible?!? Who, how much?

9. bobvonb

bobvonb G&G Evangelist

yes, its possible, but again a bunch of work. It's in progress, the big issue is threading the barrel. The magazine and feed systems are fine as is. When done I'll reveal all but for now I'd rather not say more.

I discussed MANY different caliber possiblilities and I resisted the Russian round for a long time. But in the end it's the closest in size to the 8x56R re: magazine, feed ramp, rim thickness, and bolt face size.

Actually I guess the way it's usually done is with a Mosin take-off barrel but I'm having a 30 cal barrel put on. Lee dies size to 308 anyway so really it will be a 308x54R, but I know true 7.62x54R conversions have been done too. Word is they KICK. It's a lighter rifle than the Mosin. I'll probably want a muzzle brake.

Now, what did I do to you?

Last edited: Nov 22, 2012
  10. JUNKER

JUNKER G&G Enthusiast

11. ChaZam

ChaZam G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

I don't think I'm going to be getting one JUNKER. I got an email notification from J&G Sales and thought some of the other members here might be interested.

12. JUNKER

JUNKER G&G Enthusiast

lol ... For that price I'd buy several,,, the problem is the mail, it could ship as "trifle", instead of "rifle" ... lol
    Good Luck

13. Tha Dave

Tha Dave G&G Evangelist

This sucks so much its not even funny I have been wanting one of these for a while now, but due to some recent events I am on a tighter budget than usual. Maybe these will go on sale again in a few months. I think a a scoped, closed box mag sporter in a either refinished or handbuilt stock would make one of these a sweet summer project.

14. TheJoker

TheJoker G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

I can't say enough good things about these little Stutzens.

I've had a Budapest made one for several years. I think I gave $115 for it.
    [​IMG]

They are tack drivers, shoulder thumpers and a whole lot of fun to shoot. I'm finding the surplus ammo reasonably priced and available.
    [​IMG]

15. 728shooter

728shooter G&G Addict

A few years back, the wholesalers couldn't give M95's away because the only ammo available for it was German mil-surp from the 1930's. And if you could find it, it wasn't cheap. Also, unless you had the charging clip, it was only a single-shot. I lucked out and found around 160 rounds of original ammo on clips still in boxes for $80 around that time.
    About 3-4 years ago, Century Arms ran a special on the M95's for around $50 each if you bought 3 or more. Don't want to make you guys sick but I bought 5 of them at that time and still have them. Haven't shot any of them recently but I recall they are surprisingly accurate even with open sights. And trust me, they kick like a mule! Shoulder was black & blue for a few days afterwards.

--728shooter

16. shop tom

shop tom G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Last edited: Nov 28, 2012
  17. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

About the only prewar rifle that compares with a Mosn Nagant in price. I have three.

An Austrian in 8X56R
    A Bulgarian contract one in 8X56R
    A Hungarian one in 8X56R

The cases are still available from Graf And Sons, they also have .330" 208 grain bullets. I think Prvi Partizan makes loaded ammo for them.

And they kick HARDER than a Mosin! But my Austrian is pretty darned accurate!

18. gandog56

I'm thinking my first one was like 79 bucks, my second one was a trade for a Mosin I bought for 89 bucks, and the third one cost me like 88 bucks.

Too bad the trade was for my only M38 Mosin. Had to go out and replace that for a LOT more since I bought it after you know who got elected and threw the prices of guns through the roof. But it's OK, the one I sold was non matching numbers, counterbored, and still did not shoot that good. New one is all matching counterbored, but shoots GREAT!

19. gandog56

I never shot a single round of surplus through any of mine. I had all the components ready to reload for them before I even got the first one.

Every once in a while I plan ahead.

20. gandog56

Numrich has them also, $6 something apiece, with a discount if you get more than 6. Looks like the old Western Scrounger, who used to sell them for like $2.25 each is out, too bad, half of them had Nazi markings on the clips, the rest mostly Hungarian.