Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was given a mauser by a family member recently...I was just needing to check a few things on it before I put money into it. (1) the rear of the receiver has been filed down to accept a turn down bolt which has been welded on...is this safe or should i treat the metal? (2)Its a spanish Armas 95, stamped 99 on the receiver and then restamped 99 in slightly larger numbers over the old stamp...this means? (3) the barrel is relatively short, I think around 17 1/4" long and it only steps down once...is this a carbine or a hack job on the barrel? (4) It shoots really really well, from prone with the existing barrel i get consistent 1" groups at 100yds, the barrel is in really good shape. Anyway thanks for the time and hope you gents can help me a little.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Please post a picture if you can.

The Spanish Model 95 carbine originally had a turned-down bolt. If the receiver has actually been "filed down," that's scary. You should have a gunsmith examine the rifle before you fire it.

No idea about the "99."

Original barrel length was 17.56 inches. Original caliber was 7X57. They were made by Mauser, Ludwig Loewe (which became DWM), and Fabrica de Armas Oviedo. There should be a marking on the receiver telling you who made it. If you don't see the Mauser banner, the DWM banner, or the name "Loewe," it's probably an Oviedo. Mauser, Loewe, and DWM guns are highest quality. Oviedo guns are spotty. Some are good, some are really soft and won't hold headspace. Your gunsmith can help with this.

These are basically Model 93 Mausers. Not a bad design, but not as strong as a 98. Some were converted to 8X57. I would not shoot hot European ammunition in one, but some have done so and lived to tell the tale.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts