close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

96/11 purchased

Discussion in 'Swiss Rifles' started by dogzebra, Nov 7, 2013.

1. dogzebra

dogzebra G&G Evangelist

I went to the Aledo gunshow looking for a Garand or M1A last Saturday, but walked away empty handed. Not to be disheartened in my quest for a new to me firearm, I traveled over to Simpson's. I ended up in their backroom dusting off their racks of 96/11's, made purchase, and walked out with a nicer one last Tuesday. Then, as an afterthought, I screwed up and went over to Tractor Supply. I ended up buying another gun safe... goodbye Garand bucks.

Today, both windy and cold, I took the new 113 year old Swiss rifle to the range to see how it'd do with some GP-11 and a couple of reloads I had on hand. It shot 12-14'' high at 200m and right on the nut at 300m. I stood up three bowling pins laying at the 300m target stands. It took me four rounds to knock them over. What a sweetheart.

dz

Attached Files:

• 011.JPG
      011.JPG
      File size:
      677.9 KB
      Views:
    • 015.JPG
      015.JPG
      File size:
      871.2 KB
      Views:
    • 004.JPG
      004.JPG
      File size:
      503.1 KB
      Views:
    • 018.JPG
      018.JPG
      File size:
      1.8 MB
      Views:
    • 019.JPG
      019.JPG
      File size:
      1.8 MB
      Views:
    • 021.JPG
      021.JPG
      File size:
      822 KB
      Views:
  2. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

I have one, but haven't shot it yet.

3. Guisan

Guisan G&G Regular

NL
    Because the rear sight setting of the 1911 rifles starts at 300 meters (328 yards) they all shoot high at closer distances. I'll have extra tall new made sight blades available in a few weeks from now.

4. ChaZam

ChaZam G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Nice looking rifle dogzebra.

5. dogzebra

dogzebra G&G Evangelist

Seems as though a majority of the older battle sights started with a 300 zero. I just drop my aiming point lower to compensate at shorter range. For this rifle, I'll leave the sights as they are. It's a sweet shooter. Of my four Swiss rifles, I was able to steer this 96/11 with greater ease.

Thank you much for the front sight offering.

dz

6. dogzebra

dogzebra G&G Evangelist

The condition of this piece is a reflection of Gerold Gruter(I'm guessing first name, last name.) This rifle has seen use, but never abuse. This soldier loved caring for his rifle. It was the only one I handled with a shine to the butt plate. After inspecting many in the racks, I got it down to two rifles. This one is a re-arsenal and the other wasn't. This one won the coin toss.

dz

7. Guisan

Guisan G&G Regular

NL
    The butt plate originally came in the blue (screws in the white), the polishing must have been done by a more recent owner.