Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a rifle, supposedly a 98 Mauser, stamped R.FAMAGE 1952. I've sure the cal. is 30-06, the guy I bought it from has shot it. The rear sight is missing, and a scope has been mounted. Serial no. is F.23XXX. Does anybody know what this is worth. I paid a $100.00 for it.

·
Registered
17,237 Posts
Your rifle, which is quite common, is one which was modified by Columbia, in order to use US supplied ammunition.

The marking should be R.Famage. Stands for, in Spanish something like : Reformado Factory for weapons of war. The translation is not literal, but meaning is something like that.

There are several versions of these, some have crests, some have dates in the 50s. Yours should also have a small notch at the top of the receiver ring, to allow clip loading.

These can be converted from several different versions of earlier Mausers.
It Would be nice to see some Pictures.
Does the Magazine hang below the stock in front of the Trigger Guard Or is it flush with a floor plate ? Can you see any Crests or stamped emblems ?

AND. it may be 8mm or 30/06...It should be stamped 30 somewhere on the barrel if it is 30/06!

Value is hard to say ,it would be worth more if it were all original and not "sporterized" but at 100 bucks...You did OK ! For a shooter.
Rich

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
I'm looking at just such an animal myself. Question - is it based on a 98 or earlier Mauser?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mauser 98 ? R.famage 1952

I also purchased a "M 98 R.famage 1952" after looking on the net, I think I tossed a lot of money at a ??. serial # 030xxx. All markings on barrel have been ground off and filled with ? I was told at the gun show, where I purchased it, that it had been manufactured as a 30-06 and not remanufactured.Any additional info would be appreciated. The stock is after market,and a scope replaces rear sight. the bluing looks good , and rifling looks o.k. It has a flush floor plate,which reguires several well chosen tools to open an close. Is there after market parts for this rifle? Thanks in advance for any and all help.

·
Registered
17,237 Posts
I also purchased a "M 98 R.famage 1952" after looking on the net, I think I tossed a lot of money at a ??. serial # 030xxx. All markings on barrel have been ground off and filled with ? I was told at the gun show, where I purchased it, that it had been manufactured as a 30-06 and not remanufactured.Any additional info would be appreciated. The stock is after market,and a scope replaces rear sight. the bluing looks good , and rifling looks o.k. It has a flush floor plate,which reguires several well chosen tools to open an close. Is there after market parts for this rifle? Thanks in advance for any and all help.
A lot of these guns were brought into the U.S. and Sporterized as hunting rifles. They were originally German Manufactured Export (I Think 1891 Mausers,but could be 1898, need to see pictures of bolt and receiver) and were re worked in Columbian arsenals. Parts are basic Mauser and still available. The Crests were Ground off of the front of the receiver on Most that were Sent to the US, So finding one with the Crest is rare.As far as collector value, it has none, but they are a fine hunting rifle, and worth 100.00-200.00 . I would make sure it is 30/06 if the barrel is not stamped with a 30, check the bore size... if a .308 diameter bullet drops in, It may be 8mm/06 . Have a Gunsmith check it out, then Shoot it and enjoy it...
Rich

·
Registered
1 Posts
mauser 98

I have bought a gem 98 dated 1917. its a 30-06. i dont know alot about the mausers I do know i dont like the safety. You have to mount the scope high to operate the safety. Can I have a aftermarket safety put on here that sets lower? And it has a hunting stock on it that I dont like where can I find better quality ones. The gun shoots wonderful. I dont think its worth much but it well be a good hunting rifle for my boy. thanks shaw

It's gew 98. sorry

·
Master Gunsmith
2,119 Posts
Yes you can get a after market safety from brownells that will let you put lower scope mounts on the rifle, but you then have to either forge the bolt handel or have new one welded on so the bolt handel will clear the bottom of the scope, this is a common alteration done by gunsmiths, it improves the way the rifle looks and makes it much more comfortable to shoot. getter fixed and enjoy.
steve.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts