Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im buying a new HP Tactical but im wondering which caliber? i own a 40 but i don't want to loose any accuracy. Does anyone have any feedback on 9 vs 40 or 45?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Frankly, I like the 9mm.

The ammo is significantly cheaper and The carbine is designed as a longer range shooter out to 100 yards. The 9 has a maximum point blank range of about 100-111 yards. The .40 is 95 to 106 and the .45 is 86 to 95. That's a lot of drop to be compensating for.

To be honest, I love Hi Point Pistols but once I saw Saiga's 7.62x39 for about the same price range as the .45; I bought it and have really enjoyed it. I am still in the market for a 995 TS; but it would be as more of a range toy than anything I would use for defense.

·
Super Moderator
16,740 Posts
What caliber may depend on what you want to use the thing for?

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Depending on what you are in the market for I would go with 9mm or .45. I shoot a lot more .45 then I do 9mm, but both are adequate for most everything from paper to home intruder.

I do not know how either perform in that HP though.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Im buying a new HP Tactical but im wondering which caliber? i own a 40 but i don't want to loose any accuracy. Does anyone have any feedback on 9 vs 40 or 45?
If you reload, go with the same caliber handgun, that you reload for. Because I reload 9mm for a Taurus PT92AFS, and Bersa Thunder 9, it was easy for me to decide. All three calibers are accurate, out to about 100 yards or a little farther. Which one you choose is up to you, but keep in mind, the action is a straight "blow-back" so you can expect some "cheek slap" with the 40, in particular. I just received mine (9mm) today & won't be trying it until friday. btw: as of today, there are still 33 available, $220.99, at www.davidsons.com.

·
Registered
205 Posts
The 9mm is the most popular hi point pistol.

I own a .40 because I think the 9mil is a little weak.

.45 is proven, but the .40 has become proven.

Good new is that you can buy all three cheaper than one Kimber, etc.

·
Registered
627 Posts
If you reload, go with the same caliber handgun, that you reload for. Because I reload 9mm for a Taurus PT92AFS, and Bersa Thunder 9, it was easy for me to decide. All three calibers are accurate, out to about 100 yards or a little farther. Which one you choose is up to you, but keep in mind, the action is a straight "blow-back" so you can expect some "cheek slap" with the 40, in particular. I just received mine (9mm) today & won't be trying it until friday. btw: as of today, there are still 33 available, $220.99, at www.davidsons.com.
Why do you keep linking stuff to a plumbing and heating supply company?

·
Premium Member
24,835 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,835 Posts

If you are already shooting .40S&W then you should get the .40 HP.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
If you are already shooting .40S&W then you should get the .40 HP.
Yeah, just buy one big box of ammo, and the mags will interchange between the pistol and the carbine. So now you will have 2 mags for the pistol and 2 mags for the carbine.

·
Registered
209 Posts
If you are buying a Hi-Point, you are probably on a budget. You should go with the 9mm so that you can practice for $10 to $14 per box of ammo. If you weren't on a budget, you'd get an Auto-Ordnance Tommy Gun in .45 ACP. I know I would! But, in the real world, I'd recommend saving yourself some serious money by going for the 9mm.

If you think that you are really gonna have to shoot it out with the crips and the bloods, you probably need to get the .40 so that you can interchange ammo. And, you also need to get a realtor so you can move out of your current neighborhood!

·
Registered
16,485 Posts
What do you mean by lose any accuracy?

Do you mean if you go with anything other then the .40 cal you're use to or already have you'll lose or give up some accuracy?

Or did you or do you mean it regarding the .45acp only because of more recoil or something?

As to the question, in the end it comes down to personal preference. They're all viable calibers.

Personally, I would gladly ge, use or carry a .40S&W or a .45acp for personally protection. And if there were no other choice available, I'd even do the same with a 9mm. With the new designs they've come out with, even the .380 has become a more viable personal defense round. I'd add that doesn't mean I'd carry one myself. For back up, now that's a different story.

I mean, in watching the show Handguns, a repeat I might add, where the episode was on small guns and small calibers, .22lr, .25acp, .32acp, & .380, and like one of the hosts of the show said, of those, most would probably not carry a .22lr for personal protection and most wouldn't consider it as a personal protection round. But then most would also not want to get shot with a .22lr either.

If you want a recommendation, I recommend .45acp!

·
Since 03-15- 2002
27,285 Posts
If I'm intentionally going to a gun fight. I'd like a .45 (probably not going to happen soon unless all the SHTF stuff ever happens) Through the ages of great debate, as long as the platform is relaible and maintained, a specific use quality ammo is used, your not likely to be undergunned. I like some of the suggestions of ammo commonality. That's just plain common sense talking.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts