9mm Carbine

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by RockB, May 9, 2008.

1. RockB

RockB G&G Newbie

I think that I would like to have a 9mm carbine. Problem is I thank that all of the affordable ones are UGLY.

I saw the Rock River 9mm Pistol and was wondering if a normal buttstock could be installed on them?

[​IMG]

2. .22guy

.22guy G&G Enthusiast

I believe putting a stock on something classified as a pistol is a no-no.

3. Kind of fugly if you ask me. lol

4. mitch_mckee

mitch_mckee Guest

First off, we ought to discuss why you would want a 9mm SEMI-AUTO rifle.

5. For all those Zombies out there Mitch. lol

6. mitch_mckee

mitch_mckee Guest

If you are going to haul a rifle around, it ought to be a rifle caliber. A pistol caliber ought to be full auto to justify it's size.

7. turner

turner Guest

Pssssssssssssssssst..... There are now 17 ATF agents tracking your location....lol. Sorry, I couldn't resist!

8. sc928porsche

sc928porsche G&G Newbie

Hi mitch. There are a few pistol caliber rifles that seem to do well for close brush work. Examples: Lever Action Marlin in both 357 and 44mag. Semi Auto Ruger in 44 Mag. These rifles work very well for close range work (50 yds or so). The only complaint that I have ever heard was about the Ruger and that was related to its recoil. I found a great fix for that problem. They make a recoil pad for the mini-14/30 that fits right on the 44.

Granted, the rifle calibers have a bit more range to them, but because of the longer barrel, the speeds of the pistol bullet are higher and therefore carry a little more knockdown. As for the 9mm, I dont think much of that round. The old 38 special was far superior to it. Never understood why they didnt use that round in a semi auto pistol instead of the 9mm.

As an afterthought.......M1 carbine can take down deer effectivly up to 100 yds.

9. Slowly but surely armies and agencies are doing away with pistol caliber carbines and rifles. Assault type rifles are getting so light and handy why carry a big pistol when you can carry a light rifle?

10. squirrelblaster

squirrelblaster G&G Enthusiast Forum Contributor

^ i can think of one reason.... to avoid over penatration....

11. mitch_mckee

mitch_mckee Guest

It just seems that there are SO many better choices for a shoulder arm tha. using pistol rounds, the .44 Mag being a low end exception. Even the 30-30 has more power than a .44 Mag.

I think that the reason the .38 was not used is a semi auto is because it is too long and it is rimmed. Desert Eagle is an exception, using rimmed revolver ammo in a gas operated sidearm.

M1 carbine - Yup. My Dad shot a doe dead in it's tracks at 120 steps.

12. squirrelblaster
    If you're limited to one round that could be true.
    There are rounds loaded for any situation. Years ago I got some 45 gr 5.56 stuff, from Customs, made expressly for blowing up on the window glass of a car. I've also used to sell 5.56 AP (to Police only) when I had a gun business. In 7.62 I've used everything from AP to target ammo designed to shatter on impact. I can do more with a rifle round than I could ever do with a pistol round and at far greater range if need be.

13. RockB

RockB G&G Newbie

Kind of where I was going.
    What makes a rifle a rifle? Length, caliber, existence of a stock?
    If a put a stock on one of the ones listed above would it now become a rifle and therefore illegal because it has e barrel less than 16"

Last edited: May 15, 2008
  14. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

Pistol caliber carbines have a couple things going for them'
    1) Excellent accuracy at anything out to 100 yards.
    2) Little recoil - fast follow-up shots.
    3) Higher magazine capacity than many sporting rifles.
    4) Cheaper ammo cost - 50 rounds for $15.00 beats twenty rounds for $20.00.
    5) The "FUN" factor - they are a blast to shoot, and make graet plinkers.

Would I carry my High-Point M995 into a BO/Combat situation - NO. That's what my battle rifles are for.

It's just another 'club in the bag'. A golfer doesn't just limit himself to a putter and a driver.

15. mitch_mckee

mitch_mckee Guest

That's like figuring out when a hill becomes a mountain. :34:

16. I read once that the definition of a river versus a stream was that a stream could be jumped over by an average man, wider than that it's a river. Sounds about right. The benefits of 10 years of high school.

17. mitch_mckee

mitch_mckee Guest

What about a pond vs a lake?

18. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

You had to ask.....LOL
    From a regulatory viewpoint there is no distinction between a lake and a pond. Both are surface waters of the state and subject to the same water quality standards. From a naming convention there is no precise difference between a lake and pond, although waterbodies named "lakes" are generally larger and/or deeper than waterbodies named "ponds." From an ecological or limnological perspective, there is a difference between the two. The difference, however, is somewhat arbitrary and not consistent or precise.

Regulatory

The water quality of the surface waters of the state, including all lakes and ponds, is regulated through statutes (RSA 485-A) and rules (Env-Ws 1700). These laws and regulations make no distinction between lakes and ponds. Both have to meet all the same water quality standards.

Naming

The term "lake" or "pond" as part of a waterbody name is arbitrary and not based on any specific naming convention. In general, lakes tend to be larger and/or deeper than ponds, but numerous examples exist of "ponds" that are larger and deeper than "lakes." For example, Echo "Lake" in Conway is 14 acres in surface area with a maximum depth of 11 feet, while Island "Pond" in Derry is nearly 500 acres and 80 feet deep. Names for lakes and ponds generally originated from the early settlers living near them, and the use of the terms "lake" and "pond" was completely arbitrary. Many have changed names through the years, often changing from a pond to a lake with no change in size or depth. Often these changes in name were to make the area sound more attractive to perspective home buyers. Examples of ponds that are now called lakes include Mud Pond to Mirror Lake in Canaan, Mosquito Pond to Crystal Lake in Manchester and Dishwater Pond to Mirror Lake in Tuftonboro.

Limnology

In limnology (the study of inland waters), surface waters are divided into lotic (waters that flow in a continuous and definite direction) and lentic (waters that do not flow in a continuous and definite direction) environments. Waters within the lentic category gradually fill in over geologic time and the evolution is from lake to pond to wetland. This evolution is slow and gradual, and there is no precise definition of the transition from one to the next.

Early limnologists in the late 18th, early 19th centuries attempted to define the transition from a lake to a pond in various ways. Area, depth or both were an essential part of most definitions, but what area or what depth differed. Some used thermal stratification – a lake is a body of water that is deep enough to thermally stratify into two or three layers during the summer in temperate regions such as New Hampshire. Others used plant growth – a pond is shallow enough that sunlight can penetrate to the bottom and support rooted plant growth across its entire width. Some included all plant growth (including submerged plants) while others said a pond was shallow enough to support emergent or floating-leafed rooted plants throughout. Although we won’t attempt to define the distinction between a pond and wetland here (it is an even less precise distinction), a pond with emergent plants throughout would frequently be considered a wetland (marsh) by many observers.

Limnologists today recognize that nature can’t be divided into precise, neat categories and accept the fact that there will never be a precise definition. However, they also recognize that "deep" lakes and ponds function differently than "shallow" lakes and ponds, and modern limnology texts often discuss the two separately. The generally accepted definition of a "shallow lake or pond" is that class of shallow standing water in which light penetrates to the bottom sediments to potentially support rooted plant growth throughout the waterbody. Lack of thermal stratification and the presence of muddy sediments are also common characteristics of this class of water. In contrast, a "deep lake or pond" has both a shallow shoreline area that may potentially support rooted plant growth and a deeper portion where sunlight does not penetrate to the bottom. These waterbodies frequently stratify into distinct thermal layers during the summer.

19. rondog

rondog G&G Evangelist

Mitch, Mitch, Mitch...not ALL guns in ones collection need to be toted around for hunting or S/D. Nothing wrong with having guns that are just for plinking around and fun shooting, killing cans, etc. I'm seriously considering a Hi-Point carbine just to play with. Been thinking of the .40, but I only see the ATI stock for the 9mm on the ATI site. I've got serious guns, gotta have fun ones too.