9mm Mak

Discussion in 'General Reloading' started by gandog56, Sep 19, 2010.

1. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Evangelist

So I used up all my AA#7 powder making up some 9mm Makarov rounds. But I noticed as I was firing it last Monday that the pistol was constantly spitting out sparks, like the entire powder load was not getting burned in the barrel. Going to try some with my old standby pistol powder, Unique, to see if I may get a better burn.

2. texnmidwest

texnmidwest Sir Loin of Beef Forum Contributor

Reloading for pistols is next on my list for reloading. Never reloaded for pistols before so it should be interesting. I looked a the gun show for 32acp dies...found 270 Hornady dies for a good price so I bought them. Brand new dies for 25 bucks! still in sealed box!

3. toolman

toolman Resident Sasquatch Forum Contributor

Gannie, fwiw Titegroup works great in the 9mm Mak.
    Tex, you got a steal on those Hornady dies! I really like the Hornady sliding seater and the Zip collet system.

4. res45

res45 G&G Addict

W231/HP-38 work well also those are the powders I use. 3.5 grs. is a nice plinking load 4.0 get a little snappier in my PA-63.

5. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Evangelist

Yeah, well, except I have about 8 pounds of Unique in da house and no Titegroup.

6. 338RUM

338RUM G&G Evangelist

I really like true blue in the 9x19, I really have no experience with the 9 Mak so have fun with ur project

7. toolman

toolman Resident Sasquatch Forum Contributor

Like I said, try some Unique and see what happens. :D

8. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Evangelist

Ramshot? The only Ramshot powder I've tried so far was Enforcer for my .454 Casull and .357 Mag.

9. Kaybe

Kaybe G&G Evangelist

Ohio
    I have reloaded for the Mak for awhile, I think the Unique will work out pretty good. Nothing wrong with a few sparks though.

10. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Evangelist

Unless I'm out shooting in a very dry field....which I was.

11. 338RUM

338RUM G&G Evangelist

Yup I like it it gives great accuracy in my 9x19!

12. Ghugly

Ghugly G&G Newbie

Unique should be dandy. I've used Universal, and it worked well (pretty much interchangable with Unique). I've loaded and shot several thousand rounds of tumble lubed Lee cast bullets over Bullseye. They all shoot well.

13. Ninja Piper

Ninja Piper G&G Evangelist

I have gotten nothing but huge plumes of smoke and fire from any combination of bullet/charge I've tried of #7 in my .40. I'm not a huge fan of it so far.

14. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Evangelist

I used AA#7 a lot for 10mm. Kept to Unique with my .40 and 9mm.

15. DocAitch

DocAitch G&G Enthusiast

9x18

I've had good function and accuracy in my 9x18 with Titegroup and w231/HP38.
    I think that AA7 and possibly Unique may be too slow for the small cartridge and short barrels(but if you have a large amt of Unique, use it)
    DocAitch