Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm relatively new to reloading and made some 9mm test rounds. I had fired 200-300 of different test rounds and only had 1 or 2 cycling issues with my pickiest gun. 1 group of test rounds had 100 rounds and fired all of them throught the day with several different guns and no problems. Loaded the last 10 and had a couple that the primer fired and burnt the powder but bullet didnt release. It burnt a hole out the side of the primer. Have never seen that happen and can't find anything on line about it. Does anyone know what is happening in that scenario

·
Registered
589 Posts
Did the case have a primer flash hole so the powder could not ignite ?

Reactions: TXplt and jwrauch

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The primer fired and powder DID ignite but the bullet did not fire out of the case and it had a small hole next to the primer where the powder burnt through

·
Registered
9,770 Posts
that IS a weird one! I have never heard of anything like that happening. especially when the powder burnt. I can't imagine the bullet being crimped so hard as to not let it leave the case. even a squib load with little or no powder pushes the bullet into the barrel. how big is the "burn out hole"? I have even shot ammo that the primer popped out (loaded too many times) but the bullet still went out the barrel.

·
Premium Member
13,272 Posts
How much powder, and what kind, were you using? Was it old powder? Did this happen once or a number of times? I'm curious as well.

Stop by the INTRODUCTION forum and tell us a little about yourself. You can leave out your reloading inadequacies...LOL. Don't worry, I have them to. Love the name by the way!

(FYI - I posted this before the post above with pictures, went public)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Was using win 231 4.0 grains with 124 gr RN xtreme plated bullet and winchester small pistol primers. Can't find anyone that I know that reloads that has heard of it or understands it. Loaded them on a dillion 550 press and was checking powder and seating and everything quite consistently so I'm a bit stumped?

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Interesting. What powder, bullet and weight and amount of powder? When the powder ignites, it ignites. Unless it is damaged from something getting into it or very very old the explosion and pressure is the same every time within a range.

Second, what is the percent of space filled by the powder in the case? A powder like Bullseye only fills a small portion of the case and it burns quickly. If it gets a smaller than normal charge it might not have enough explosion to break the bullet loose from the crimp, obviously jacketed bullets are harder to get moving. So, the first thing I want to know is the powder and charge which gives us a hint if the load may just be on the margin of having too little powder which is my first thought.

The primer issue is secondary in my view. I do not think the powder can burn a hole in a primer or case, it happens in a nano second, so that one is interesting. From the picture I am speculating that the powder level is just too low to break the bullet loose and the explosion just tried to leak out of the primer. I have had primers like that in rifle rounds and most of us will have primers break free after many re-loads and look much like that. So, we need to know the load and are you using a powder measure or how is the powder getting into the case?

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
You put the primer in sideways.

I bet they were really hard to push in and you just never noticed they were in wrong. I've done it before with those little hand primer tools. Especially the Lee.

I think if you pull the bullet you'll find the powder in the case is fully intact and never ignited.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I was using 4.0 grains of Win 231 in this load with a 125gr. RN xtreme plated bullet it was the last 10 of a hundred I had fired randomly through different guns and fired fine. I fired them out of my ruger pc carbine when it did this. I believe 2 maybe 3 did it and I didn't fire anymore of those ten. Then I fired 20 or more through the same gun with the same powder charge just a different length and fired accurately and flawlessly was shooting a 4 in gong at about 90 yds from a standing position and everything shot great. It sounded like it fired and smoke came back out of the chamber so we dropped the mag, cleared the cartridge and made sure the barrel was clear and those pics are what was the result. I ran my fingernail down the bullet and it would catch on the case mouth so the crimp.seemed ok. ???

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
It doesn't matter if you put cake batter in the shell if you have the primer in sideways or upside down or what you were shooting at nor what any thing else you shot or didn't shoot.

It is plain as day that primer is in wrong to any one who has ever seen it before.

Pull that bullet and you will find the case full or empty of powder, but either way it will not be burnt.

Then resize the case and knock that primer out and you will see it was put in the pocket wrong and there is NOT a hole burnt through any thing.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Interesting. What powder, bullet and weight and amount of powder? When the powder ignites, it ignites. Unless it is damaged from something getting into it or very very old the explosion and pressure is the same every time within a range.

Second, what is the percent of space filled by the powder in the case? A powder like Bullseye only fills a small portion of the case and it burns quickly. If it gets a smaller than normal charge it might not have enough explosion to break the bullet loose from the crimp, obviously jacketed bullets are harder to get moving. So, the first thing I want to know is the powder and charge which gives us a hint if the load may just be on the margin of having too little powder which is my first thought.

The primer issue is secondary in my view. I do not think the powder can burn a hole in a primer or case, it happens in a nano second, so that one is interesting. From the picture I am speculating that the powder level is just too low to break the bullet loose and the explosion just tried to leak out of the primer. I have had primers like that in rifle rounds and most of us will have primers break free after many re-loads and look much like that. So, we need to know the load and are you using a powder measure or how is the powder getting into the case?
New to these blogs so have not been replying directly to this thread. I apologize.
I'm using Win 231 Ball that's only a few months old with 4.0 grains 124 grain RN Xtreme plated bullet with oal 1.156 . The powder appeared to fill the case just a lil over half. I was using a dillon R550 C progressive. The powder measured is how.it was dispensed. I check loads consistently for correct charge through the process of all the test rounds. I pulled the bullet and looked like it was crimped a bit too much by the mark on the bulletbut all powder was burned. I had fired the 4 sets of test outs I did through various firearms. Ruger pc 9 is what gun I was using when this happened. Also shot through gen 1 xd9 sub compact no problems. Kanik tpx 9 ( pickiest gun) with only a couple feed issues. A walther q5 match, and a few others with no problems at all. I put the last 10 of a test of 100 that were all pulled out of the ammo box randomly and it happened 2 or 3 times. I took the remainder of the clip and put aside and tried every other test load ranging from 3.8 grains to 4.2 grains of same powder components etc at least 20 a piece and all fired very accurately with no issues whatsoever. Baffled me a bit why 3 randomly picked would all do the same thing? And no.issues orherwise?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It doesn't matter if you put cake batter in the shell if you have the primer in sideways or upside down or what you were shooting at nor what any thing else you shot or didn't shoot.

It is plain as day that primer is in wrong to any one who has ever seen it before.

Pull that bullet and you will find the case full or empty of powder, but either way it will not be burnt.

Then resize the case and knock that primer out and you will see it was put in the pocket wrong and there is NOT a hole burnt through any thing.
otherwise? P

·
Gun Toting Boeing Driver
21,447 Posts
Yup. Looks like the primer went in sideways. Lucky it didn’t go bang in the press (always wear eye protection). This is not an uncommon failure mode in some progressives usually occurring at the beginning of the batch and cause by primer misfeeding inside of the primer tube—somehow it gets flipped or turned at the junction where the sliding steel/nylon primer shuttle picks it up to take it over to underneath the cartridge. They’re SUPPOSED to feed flat but don’t always. Things to check are that the primer tube is properly seated inside the holder (on my Square Deal B the primer tube goes into the feed tube on the press and there’s a ‘key’ to ensure proper orientation of this inner tube in the press. Once it’s seated properly the knurled nut is tightened — but not over tightened — which centers the primer tube in its holder in the press. Sometimes that little plastic head on the tube gets screwed up and if that happens you might notice priming problems—Dillon is happy to provide replacements if you call them. IF the knurled nut gets over tightened, you can smash that plastic tip causing feeding problems OR sometimes the primers can get flipped when you do the transfer from the primer pickup tube to the primer tube in the press. I’m assuming you are placing the plastic guide rod/weight into the primer tube on top of the primers which also helps keep primers feeding properly by providing light pressure on them pushing them down so they can be picked up from the primer shuttle which is the block that slides back and forth horizontally and lessening the chance of misfeed and binding).

I have had this happen before; I usually notice it when taking cartridges from the completed bin and putting it in my container. I use a square deal B which is similar to the 550 except it auto sequences. The Dillons are fantastic equipment; the priming stage is always the weak link in that primers can get flipped sometimes if incorrectly loaded on pickup from the flip tray and sometimes there are feeding issues with the priming device (for me, these usually happen early in the reloading process if the press hasn’t been used for awhile—the nylon sliding primer carrier can bind if it hasn’t been used in awhile—it usually limbers up as I get further through the batch). Once you reload for awhile, you get used to the ‘feel’ of the seating primer on the lever upstroke and if there’s something wrong can stop the process. It’s an experience and tactile thing. ONE thing I’m REALLY careful of is when the batch gets interrupted for any reason to start over and examine each powder charge very carefully—at least doing a gross error check—until I get back into the ‘flow’. If there’s a cartridge with powder I put it back in the hopper and kinda do a ‘start over’ even though the SDB (unlike the 550) auto-sequences.

Like has been said I REALLY doubt any of the powder would have burned (it’d have disloged the bullet if it did; the 9 uses a taper crimp) so when you pull it the case should be full of unburned powder (or you can just chuck the whole thing).

A progressive is great but after awhile you notice when something doesn’t feel right and when you do it’s worth investigating exactly what happened.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts