Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hiya Guy's :),

Yep, so it's official, I told myself I wasn't gonna do it. I wasn't gonna buy another gun for awhile, especially another rifle because my gun cabinet is full . Especially since I just bought a reloading setup, spent a couple hundred dollars on ammo, bought a new flat screen TV and several other things over the Black Friday / Cyber Monday Turkey Day Holiday & got satellite and internet hooked up here at the house. ( also paid the ol' lady's insurance and phone bill, damn! ..).

Then my friend Don decides to put his beautiful Steyr Mannlicher M95/30 straight-pull bolt in 8x56R up for sale on our local gun Grapevine for $400. Now he knows that I wanted an m95 for quite a while but I haven't picked one up due to the availability of the ammo or lack thereof since I don't reload. Then he offers to trade me for my 1891 Argentine Mauser that he's been trying to get back ever since I bought it from him.

I found out that he traded 2 Mausers for this m95 and then he spent another $180 on ammo for it, and he was letting it go with 17 em-block clips, 245 rds of Privi PPU ammo, reloading dies and a bunch of bullets & several rounds of Nazi marked ammo from 1938 - 1940. I slept on the offer then I decided what the hell, I may as well just buy it for Christmas instead, so, I did :)...

Needless to say I've spent more money in the last couple of weeks than I have in a long long time so I think I'm officially done for a while and now it's time to relax & play catch-up.

20171203_161145.jpg 20171203_161207.jpg 20171203_161222.jpg 20171203_161233.jpg 20171203_161330.jpg 20171203_161406.jpg

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,510 Posts
Very nice addition gsbuickman. I have a carbine and a full length rifle. You don't see many of the Steyr rifles around like you used to. So did you get the en bloc clips and ammo with it also? I have accumulated quite a bit of clips and also the German manufacture ammo from 1938. It was the swastika's stamped on it. I am saving that. The carbines kick a little. Its a unique design for sure. Watch taking the bolt out and letting it uncock. Sometimes a PIA to get it back in. Let me know if you get a chance to shoot it one day. Nice Christmas present you bought yourself

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Very nice addition gsbuickman. I have a carbine and a full length rifle. You don't see many of the Steyr rifles around like you used to. So did you get the en bloc clips and ammo with it also? I have accumulated quite a bit of clips and also the German manufacture ammo from 1938. It was the swastika's stamped on it. I am saving that. The carbines kick a little. Its a unique design for sure. Watch taking the bolt out and letting it uncock. Sometimes a PIA to get it back in. Let me know if you get a chance to shoot it one day. Nice Christmas present you bought yourself
Thanks Random, due to the crappy lighting the pictures don't reflect it, but it is a beautiful rifle. Yes, it came with 245 rounds of privy PPU ammo and a few rounds of the Nazi ammo w/ 17 emblocks, reloading dies and a bunch of component bullets to reload the brass with for $400, so I got a pretty good deal considering he had more than that into it :) .

Reactions: jwrauch

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
BTW Rando, if you wouldn't mind selling a little bit of that ammo let me know, I'd love to park some of it in my china cabinet :).

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok , the receiver on this thing says m95 so it's probably a rifle that was built prior to 1930 and then rechambered in the 30's by Steyr for the 8x56 cartridge, who knows ? ..

·
Premium Member
9,510 Posts
Ok , the receiver on this thing says m95 so it's probably a rifle that was built prior to 1930 and then rechambered in the 30's by Steyr for the 8x56 cartridge, who knows ? ..
Yes they rechambered many of the M95's in like 1930 to 32 to 8x56R. Many were 8x50R. I have noticed that most conversion rifles they stamped a big " S " on top of the receiver to show it was converted. It is right on top of the barrel actually where it is threaded onto the receiver. Most were stamped this way. Also chamber your ammo you have. It is 8x56R and wont chamber into an 8x50R. You got a nice deal on everything there gsbuickman. Have fun with it sir.

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes they rechambered many of the M95's in like 1930 to 32 to 8x56R. Many were 8x50R. I have noticed that most conversion rifles they stamped a big " S " on top of the receiver to show it was converted. It is right on top of the barrel actually where it is threaded onto the receiver. Most were stamped this way. Also chamber your ammo you have. It is 8x56R and wont chamber into an 8x50R. You got a nice deal on everything there gsbuickman. Have fun with it sir.
Yep, it's 56r. My friend ordered $200 in privy PPU ammo for it, then he took it out and fired one round through it and decided it was too Stout for him, then I bought it. It came with all the ammo that he bought for it including the one empty shell that he fired as well as the reloading dies and components that he had also bought for it. I guess I'm just a glutton for punishment because I'll enjoy it and I still say you need to sell me some of that Nazi ammo :) ...

Reactions: neophyte and rando

·
Registered
36,568 Posts
I have three, an Austrian, a Hungarian, and a Bulgarian contract. Somewhere I have ONE bayonet for them. It was funny, I ordered the first rifle from SOG. Before I got it, I had already got my reloading dies, cases, and projectiles that I had ordered from Graf And Sons. I was reloading rounds for it before I had it. I also bought some of that Nazi marked stuff at a gun show once. I don't shoot it. My babies have never had a corrosive round shot through them by ME!;)

·
Premium Member
9,510 Posts
Yep, it's 56r. My friend ordered $200 in privy PPU ammo for it, then he took it out and fired one round through it and decided it was too Stout for him, then I bought it. It came with all the ammo that he bought for it including the one empty shell that he fired as well as the reloading dies and components that he had also bought for it. I guess I'm just a glutton for punishment because I'll enjoy it and I still say you need to sell me some of that Nazi ammo :) ...
Yeah that Nazi ammo you don't see much anymore. Most of mine came in the brown cardboard box with two clips of bullets in each. It also has labels holding flaps closed. I remember some that I bought years ago had the year of Manufacture stamped in red on the label. It was crossed out by the factory and another date written but only a year apart and from the 1930,s. Thinking it is like 1936 dated and sealed. I promised to never shoot it in my rifles. I see this stuff run $20 a bow at shows sometimes but usually only a few boxes here and there.

·
Premium Member
9,510 Posts
I have three, an Austrian, a Hungarian, and a Bulgarian contract. Somewhere I have ONE bayonet for them. It was funny, I ordered the first rifle from SOG. Before I got it, I had already got my reloading dies, cases, and projectiles that I had ordered from Graf And Sons. I was reloading rounds for it before I had it. I also bought some of that Nazi marked stuff at a gun show once. I don't shoot it. My babies have never had a corrosive round shot through them by ME!;)

Ganny where did you find that pretty blonde at on the bottom?

·
Premium Member
6,598 Posts
I own a M95/30 but have never fired it. How does the recoil compare to a Mosin Nagant M44? I assumed that they would kick about the same.
I find it a bit more stiff than the M44. It weight a couple of pounds less and the buttplate is a bit smaller.

·
Registered
36,568 Posts
I own a M95/30 but have never fired it. How does the recoil compare to a Mosin Nagant M44? I assumed that they would kick about the same.
It is a harder recoil. When I reload for it, its pretty much the same amount of powder. But the Mosin pill is 150 grains, the Steyr pill is 208 grains.

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Damn Ganny , them are purdy' . The furniture on the bottom one that Rando asked about sure does look like the furniture on my 1891 Chilean Mauser :)

Reactions: neophyte
1 - 20 of 23 Posts