close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

A belated Christmas miracle from the CMP

Discussion in 'M1 Garand' started by TheJoker, Dec 31, 2014.

1. TheJoker

TheJoker G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

So on 12/20, I got a holiday bonus in my paycheck. Since Christmas presents were all bought and bills were all paid, I decided to invest the extra cash. I placed an order for one SG and one FG US Rifle Caliber .30 M1 and two tins of HXP M2 Ball.

I'd be happy with anything; but, my rifle collecting interest centers around WWII, so what arrived today is nothing short of a Christmas miracle.

Both rifles were made by Springfield Armory in 1944(June and October), both would seem to have their original WWII barrels and the FG actually has a stock that could be original.

[​IMG]

The SG is in the 2.9 million range with a SA-5-44 barrel. It measures MW 1 and TE 4. All the parts that I can easily see are SA with the exception of an IHC windage knob.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The FG is in the 3.2 million range with a SA-10-44 barrel. It measures MW 2 and TE 2. All the parts that I can easily see are SA. It also has lock bar sights and a very correct SA stock(...the hand guards look to be replacement). To me the FG is the neatest of the two; but, I couldn't be more pleased with them both. I mean what are the odds of getting two WWII rifle with original barrels?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

SUBMOA and neophyte like this.
  2. neophyte

neophyte Wonderment :) Forum Contributor

Thejoker: You are very lucky/fortunate and luck wow-weee. If you do shoot them :) a range report will be nice

3. PAPA G

PAPA G G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Neat! Any idea what the scratched in stock lettering means?

4. TheJoker

I just may go to the farm/range tomorrow. The cartouches are acceptance stamps. The top initials are S.A. for Springfield Armory. GAW is for Col. George A. Woody, SA inspector from July '43 to Oct '44 and NFR is for Gen. Norman F. Ramsey inspector from Oct '44 to Nov '45.

SUBMOA and PAPA G like this.
  5. PAPA G

PAPA G G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

That's some weird markings for an inspection stamp!

TheJoker likes this.
  6. Tack Driver

Tack Driver G&G Evangelist

Since you bought two, that means you can sell one to me for a good deal ;)

That is awesome, congratulations sir. Those are two beautiful pieces of history :)

TheJoker likes this.
  7. goat roper

goat roper G&G Evangelist

I thought there was a long wait to get rifles.
    Verne

8. TheJoker

Here are the common inspection stamps. The ones used by Springfield Armory and Winchester Repeating Arms during WWII are all very similar. The DOD Eagle w/stars was used post WWII.

[​IMG]

9. SUBMOA

SUBMOA G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Very nice! Santa did extra good on you!

10. TheJoker

Both rifle performed flawlessly today, I put 24 rounds through each. I have a bit of a problem with the field grade rifle. I'll post some pictures later. I'm not familiar with the locking bar type sights; but, I think the outer piece is missing.

11. TheJoker

12. TheJoker

Found a knob and a screw at Numrich for $26 and some change, shipped.

13. Orlando

Orlando G&G Evangelist

Ohio
    Seems like CMP has been shipping alot of rifles with WWII barreled receivers lately. Nice score

14. TheJoker

Yeah, Orlando. I've been visiting the CMP forum a lot lately and that's sort of what prompted this little impulse buy. Folks were not only reporting really fast turnaround; but, they seemed to be shipping some great rifles.

I was expecting to get a project rifle and one a bit nicer. Instead, I got two really nice ones. That 10-44 field grade could easily become my new favorite. (...don't tell the others!)

Last edited: Jan 2, 2015
    goat roper likes this.