A Bond of Brothers: The Search For WW-11 Missing Pilots

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Marine1, May 26, 2008.

1. Marine1

Marine1 G&G Newbie

Recovering the past - Finding missing WWII pilots...The search for missing WWII pilots in Papua New Guinea.

WARANGOI, Papua New Guinea - Allan Harrison was alone in his one-seat fighter, chasing Japanese Zeros through dark clouds, when his plane began its final plunge into the jungles of New Guinea.

Now, 64 years later, all that is visible of Harrison's plane is its rusted, weather-beaten Pratt & Whitney engine, sitting upright in the mud.

A bond of brothers - The Boston Globe

2. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

Thanks for that video! Very touching, as well as close to my heart. My Dad and my big brother came back from Viet Nam. My best friend's big brother didn't.

3. Seabeescotty

Seabeescotty G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Thanks, M1, I've watched documentaries about the search for missing pilots, and it's touching. At least their mortal remains are brought home to the country they defended. Have a good Memorial Day, and God bless.

4. Marine1

Marine1 G&G Newbie

Pentagon Launches a Search Mission....

During World War II, more than 2,000 American pilots and crew members were lost over Papua New Guinea. Now a Pentagon team is trying to bring them home..

What is it?
    The Pentagon launched the mission of the Joint POW/MIA Accounting Command (JPAC) on Oct. 1, 2003, to recover the remains of tens of thousands of MIAs from foreign wars. The organization, which identifies six missing servicemen each month on average, utilizes the largest forensic anthropology laboratory in the world and 15 teams that travel the globe on recovery missions. This is the story of one such recovery mission in Papua New Guinea.

Finding the Fallen -- Boston Globe MIA World War II project - Boston.com

5. KGunner

KGunner G&G Evangelist

One of my uncles was a fighter pilot in the Pacific and went down in 1943 and they never found him. Tramelli is his last name.