Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
I've come to a similar conclusion, not for all of his reasons but yes mainly because it's so versatile and very effective if someone uses the same rifle for everything. "Fear the man with one gun..." makes sense - not that I'd ever be content with one gun. ;)

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
while i believe in different calibers for different purposes, if a guy was limited to just 1. the -06 would be a good choice due to its versatility. i dont believe the -06 does anything perfectly, but it does most things that are asked of it very well.

·
Registered
53 Posts
It would be pretty hard to go wrong with a 30/06 for whitetails. If you bought it for someone capable of carrying it and loaded it properly it could do the job in most hunting situations.

·
Registered
17,218 Posts
Those reasons above are exactly why I have two 30-06 rifles..one being a Springfield 03A3 and the other a Rem 700. It does the job for me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Read a similar article in 1965 in a magazine called "Argosy". Then I came under Jack O'Connor's spell who admitted the '06 was more versatile than his beloved .270. I do have one complaint about the '06: it will shoot different weights to different points of contact. Which caused me to purchase a second '06. I have one to shoot 150 grains and lighter; one to shoot 180 grains and heavier.

When I was younger and poorer with one '06 I found two loads that would shoot to the same POC: 165 gr Speer boattail and 180 gr Nosler partition.

An alternative to the two gun approach is two scopes.

My uncle's lifetime gun is a .338 Winchester Magnum. He loads it down for deer and up for everything else. Doesn't shoot varmints or small game with it but one as a reloader do the same.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts