Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
My buddy and I went hunting one day. His wife worked at Starbucks at the time and we stopped in and got free coffees on the way to the woods. He is lactose intolerant and proceeded to order a drink with real milk and four espresso shots. Then we drove an hour up the road out into the woods. He was getting uncomfortable by the time we arrived and asked me if I had any form of paper in the car. I've always got a big pile of napkins in the dash. He dashed over to the base of a tree and let loose. Used all of my napkins too. Monday morning we were waiting for muster and he asked me if I could help him with something. He had got chiggers while pooping in the woods! His wife thought it was some kind of STI and she was furious. She was on the brink of throwing him out of the house. Things smoothed over though once he was able to explain what he really had.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
My buddy and I went hunting one day. His wife worked at Starbucks at the time and we stopped in and got free coffees on the way to the woods. He is lactose intolerant and proceeded to order a drink with real milk and four espresso shots. Then we drove an hour up the road out into the woods. He was getting uncomfortable by the time we arrived and asked me if I had any form of paper in the car. I've always got a big pile of napkins in the dash. He dashed over to the base of a tree and let loose. Used all of my napkins too. Monday morning we were waiting for muster and he asked me if I could help him with something. He had got chiggers while pooping in the woods! His wife thought it was some kind of STI and she was furious. She was on the brink of throwing him out of the house. Things smoothed over though once he was able to explain what he really had.
Lost a lot of sock tops and lower t-shirts over the years of hunting. Thank god for wet ones these days.

·
Premium Member
24,835 Posts
Paper products are cheap, and biodegradable. There is no excuse NOT to have plenty of them with you.

·
Premium Member
2,866 Posts
In have two comments... First is the advertisement before the video... Yes, I watched it - - of the three times they showed their "models" handling rifles... The first two had their finger inside the trigger guard. Guess you can't find good help these days:mad:

Now on to the pooping comment. The video showed a pretty clear area (of course for demonstration) where he was doing his business. In reality, (especially in the terrain I am used to) tends to not be so clear and open. That said... I will offer this piece of advice, ESPECIALLY at night - - make sure you feel the area you intend to squat in BEFORE you squat! The old saying about having a stick up your a$$ certainly came from somewhere, and I think I found its origin! :D

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I keep two rolls of TP smashed flat in a gallon sized ziplock bag in my backpack at all times. They have come in handy on more than one occasion. I also keep baby wipes in the truck, which is nice until they freeze solid. They work for cleaning up after cleaning game too.
Im always careful where I put my backside when in the woods or swamp hunting.
A friend of mine who wears coveralls hunting made the mistake of not clearing them while doing his business. When he came back to the truck, he was saying he could still smell $h!t. He didn’t realize it was on the back of his neck and down his back. :D:D It’s also important to make sure your hands are clean before holding on to Mr Wiggly to pee, poison ivy down there is very unpleasant. My brother learned that one the hard way too. :D:p

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Aside from always keeping a couple of rolls of the good kind paper towels in the vehicle I've found that you can vacuum seal a roll of TP into almost nothing to save space in a rucksack, also a good idea to always have a handful of zip locks in there too to keep it fresh if after you take it out of the vacuum seal stuff.

·
Premium Member
3,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Back in my younger days when riding my cowpony across the Montana plains I used bunch grass or silver sage to get the job done.
Got to watch doing that in the Ohio woods. We have Sumac, Poisson Oak, Poison Ivy,Hog weed,Nettles and a little bug called a chigger. So you best know what you are grabbing.:D

·
Premium Member
2,866 Posts
Got to watch doing that in the Ohio woods. We have Sumac, Poisson Oak, Poison Ivy,Hog weed,Nettles and a little bug called a chigger. So you best know what you are grabbing.:D
You think poison Ivy, oak and Sumac are bad, we have this wonderful plant with nice wide leaves uninformed people think would be perfect for toilet paper... It's called Pushki - - aka "cow parsnip"
The oils on the stalks, and leaves (I think flowers too) have a photo-toxin that activates in sunlight. While your backside may experience some discomfort in the form of rash and burning, this will be nothing compared to the open burning oozing sores (literally burns) that will develop on your hands... These sores can last weeks to months and keep reactivating if you don't keep the skin covered from UV.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Comfort is the key, I keep a four pack of Charmin behind the backseat in the truck for emergencies. When out in the woods a full roll of ultra soft super mega roll TP and fresh baby wipes in a gallon size zip lock bag go into my pack last for easy access. If overnighting the cat hole is pre-dug downwind and area cleared of brush just in case. A sturdy fork branched dead fall stripped of bark makes an excellent and comfy seat too.
Use pieces of TP to mark blood spots on the ground if tracking game as well.

·
Premium Member
6,185 Posts
The Grizzly Bears catch Jack Rabbits to wipe on. They are soft and run away when the Bear is pooped out. "Cowboys" spin yarns.:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts