A few changes to my 16" carbine

Discussion in 'AR15' started by MosinRuger, Aug 9, 2020.

1. MosinRuger

MosinRuger G&G Evangelist

Colorado
    Final cut!
    IMG_20200812_130620.jpg
    IMG_20200812_130627.jpg
    IMG_20200812_130446.jpg

I just put the finishing touches on it and painted it again, hopefully for the last time!

I think its going to work well now though.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2020
  2. MosinRuger

Colorado
    just another coat and some time to dry:

IMG_20200812_143202.jpg

3. MosinRuger

Colorado
    got the armors wrench in today, come on upper receiver block! I cant stand having a box full of parts just waiting to be put back to together. plus my barreled upper looks so naked, i feel bad for it.

Huey Rider and ChaZam like this.
  4. MosinRuger

Colorado
    well, got the vise block during the day today, after work i got right to work. luckily the barrel nut that was on there came off relatively easy. assembling everything also went very smoothly. the gas tube hole in the barrel nut lined up nicely with the upper after a few "seasoning" tightening/ loosening procedures. after pinning in the gas block and tube i had momentary freak out when i went to put the charging handle and BCG in to test fit the gas tube alignment. the freaking bolt wouldnt close, it was about a half inch out of battery... um huh.. ok not cool! so i take the CH and BCG out. stick just the CH in the upper and see if it will go all the way in, nope. ok, oh crap, did i over torque the vise block and sqeeuze the upper so that its too tight? I^&*%*^&$%@*$

ugh.. start looking closer for the contact / friction point. finally i see that the CHlatch pin has worked itself out of the hole maybe 1/8 of an inch, contacting the rear of the upper and not letting either it or the bolt go all the way into battery! oh thank god, something i can do something about! so i go about re inserting that pin, and made sure to get it counter sunk a bit. put the CH and BCG back in and voila! it all goes right into battery!

so, after that everything went smoothly, got the rail installed, everything there all tightened up, went and got started on the muzzle device. it took between 1/2 and 1/4 turn to get timed, so not alot, it wasnt too much torque, but what i did was tighten, loosen, tighten loosen, until i got it where it needed to be. well about halfway in i decided to take it out of the vise block and just check things before really tightening it down. well. the one mistake i did make became apparent. i had marred the brass deflector with the vice. it stuck out of the vise block just enough and my vise was wide enough that it contacted it. i dont think anything other than some cosmetic damage was done. and if that is the only thing that really went wrong, i can live with it.

all in all it was a fun and enlightening experience. i feel like i really know my gun better and how it works and how to fix/ repair/ maintain it.

also it looks cool, its almost like getting a new gun!

5. MosinRuger

Colorado
    everything to build the upper all laid out:
    rifleparts.jpg
    And finally assembled!
    IMG_20200817_232120.jpg

Huey Rider, ChaZam and BigEd63 like this.
  6. MosinRuger

Colorado
    man something about being able to take metal parts and make them something different is REALLY satisfying. looking back through the pictures is really neat. ok im done reveling in self satisfaction.

ChaZam and BigEd63 like this.
  7. MosinRuger

Colorado
    the 1-4x lpvo feels right at home on this rifle as compared to the 10.5" pistol i had it on originally.

you know what the next step is... range time!

just gotta be careful not to use too much ammo. but i'd like to at least function check and get the scope close to zeroed at least

ChaZam likes this.
  8. MosinRuger

Colorado
    after looking at it a bit, i realized something. the rail was canted downwards just a few degrees. not the worst thing ever but, it did reduce the already small clearance between the gas block and rail, plus it just bugged me. so, it turns out that the extension that bridges the space over the lock ring to the front of the upper was actually contacting the front of the upper, putting the downward pressure on the rail. so, I disassembled the rail and used a file to shave a few thousandths off of that little protrusion on the top of the rail. I could have just turned the rail counter clockwise a turn or two, so that the whole thing moved away from the upper, but then there was a larger than desired gap between rail/ upper. so i went the "remove a little material route". well, it worked, though i had to do it twice! but, I got it all put back together, there is a small gap between rail extension and the front of the upper, just like i wanted, but no contact so the entire hand guard is now straight in line with the barrel. I also made sure to get the lock nut locked up alittle tighter as it wasn't very hard to get it off. and used a little more blue locktite on the anti rotation screw. I also turned the comp juuust a smudge to get it alittle more correctly timed with the barrel.

tip, I used a upper receiver picatiny rail riser to align the upper and top rail of the HG. this held it all straight while i was able to turn the lock nut to secure the HG. also, turns out an oil filter wrench, the kind with the wide jaws that go around the filter housing, well the one I have the teeth fit perfectly into the grooves on the lock nut. it did slip out once, my fault for not having a proper grip on it. but it worked! twice!

i took the irons off my AR pistol and put the on the rifle. the pistol is fine for Home Defense with just the holosun 403b. and the rifle needs irons, as it will serve as my go to SHTF/ survival rifle while out exploring blm land/ natl forest lands.

i have several rear sights, but since the rifle had the a2 front post i dont have any folding front sights for it!. and its hard to find a stand alone front sight that is decent quality but affordable. they are usually sold as pairs.

call it all part of the learning experience!

arnewrailirons.jpg

Huey Rider and ChaZam like this.
  9. MosinRuger

Colorado
    Got it out to the range yesterday!

put 75-80 rounds through it, man rounds go fast, even with slow aimed fire.

not a single malfunction. accuracy was good, still need to get it dialed in alittle better but its acceptable as is.

2 3 round groups at 50:
    55gr fmj american eagle.
    3" circle target.
    IMG_20200825_113628.jpg

another 2, 3 round groups at 50, 2" red circle.
    LC M193
    IMG_20200825_113621.jpg

with a better rest and maybe rear bag, im sure it (I) could do better. this was more of a sight in and function check.

TXplt likes this.