Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Just recently, I picked up my first couple of guns (aside from a .22).
I got a Glock 17 Pistol, and a Mossberg 535 12ga Shotgun.

It came with a few chokes, and I was wondering what each one is for. I have Full, Modified, and Standard, I think...

I was wondering what each choke is for...Im new to shotguns..this is the first one i've fired since I was 12...Just would like to know some general information, on how often to clean it, like, after how many shots should it be oiled, and cleaned. What to use each choke for, and stuff like that.

Hope someone can help a newbie! =)

Thank you.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Full is for tighter patterns at longer distance, such as for ducks or turkey. Modified is a medium range choke, good for trap and bird hunting. Standard is new to me, but cylinder or open chokes are the diameters of the bore and are used for close range, skeet and some people like them for buckshot so the pellets will spread faster. Full and modified can also be used for buckshot at longer distances, if the tubes can handle it. I believe the 535 is a cop pump-gun. They're tested with 3000 rounds of full power buckshot. If I'm not mistaken.

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
I think you're confusing the 535 with the 590 as a police gun. I believe the 535 is a modification of the 500 design (no interchangeability) that can take 3.5" shells.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts