A fit of lunacy or chronic cheapness

Discussion in 'Rimfire Rifles' started by MoDoc, May 17, 2018.

1. MoDoc

MoDoc G&G Evangelist

While my wife & I were very modest in creating offspring, my 7 siblings were not; ditto for my wife's 4 siblings. Somehow, I became the supplier of first .22 rifles to most of these nieces & nephews, as well as first instructor for gun safety rules and safe handling. It started with many Marlins going from my hands to theirs, and ended in a large run of Mossberg 702 & 802's being passed on to them, when I became more budget-conscious. It seems to have worked out well enough.
    I still have plenty of .22 lr rifles of my own - Marlins & Rugers, but I find myself thinking of collecting a sampling of other budget-friendly .22 rifles. I've been happy with the Mossberg Plinksters that have gone through me, but I'm looking at picking up a Rossi, and a couple of Armscor products.
    It seems harmless to build a collection of budget .22 rifles just for kicks. I'll probably haunt pawn shops for anything that strikes my fancy as well.
    What say you?

2. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

I have some thirty-plus rimfires in my collection. My favorites are my Mossbergs. The classics, NOT the later Brazilian-made 702s and 802s.
    Tough steel, quality wood, American quality.

3. I was going to place a bet with myself who'd be first to respond and sure enough, there's Mr Rimfire :rolleyes:

4. jerry

jerry Since 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    When .22 was no longer being sold at $9.00 a brick, a lot of orphaned .22’s seemed to hit the racks, at least in this area. Good opportunities.

5. Dutch

Dutch G&G Evangelist

CO
    I'm probably the wrong person to ask, because I think having a collection of 22's is a necessity. I say go for it.

They may never go up much in value, but they'll always be cool.

6. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Evangelist

Be sure to include at least one "Supremely Viable Ruger 10/22" in ANY .22LR collection. LOL!

7. shanebrews

shanebrews G&G Evangelist

My dad was telling me not too long ago he had picked up a Cricket for my older daughter. She is 3. Secretly, I think he wanted a Cricket just to play around with it a couple of times. I'm sure he will pass it to her at some point.

I've been impressed with the Mossberg Plinksters but it has been about five years since I had hands on one. I bought a Marlin 60 instead when I wanted a cheap rimfire. My old buddy bought a Marlin 795 and I was not impressed. I hardly even shoot my Marlin anymore because the Henry carbine I bought for my wife is better. In fact, I was just shooting that Henry a bit last week.

MoDoc, neophyte and Ten Man like this.
  8. Jaison

Jaison G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Out
    Another inexpensive option is a Rossi Youth. Like the NEF stuff, youngsters can grow into .22lr, .22mag, .410 all with just a barrel change.

9. Kmcdowell

Kmcdowell G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Omaha NE
    I only have a few rimfires. I have a Ruger 10/22 all dressed up in that scary black tactical furniture, a Marlin 17HMR and another Marlin chambered in 22WMR. That and a 22 revolver with both 22LR ad 22WMR cylinders. My son in law bought my grandson a nice little Ruger 10/22 for his first birthday and for Christmas he got him a couple BX25 25 round magazines for said rifle. Sounds a little fishy to me. Something tells me the Ruger will be broke in well before the boy ever has a chance to pull the trigger. :)

EtherialOne, MoDoc, Jaison and 3 others like this.
  10. Big Dog

Just roing my bit, Johnny!

Johnny_Revolver and Ten Man like this.
  11. gsbuickman

gsbuickman G&G Evangelist

Hell yeah, you can't go wrong with a nice collection of good shooting 22's :) . I have an affinity for the fine old vintage 22's made for 22 / 22L & 22LR and I have a hard time passing up a good deal on one when they pop up on our local gun Grapevine. Out of the 17 or 18 rifles I have & besides my 10/22, 5 or 6 of them are 22's from the 1930's to the 60's w/ my Stevens Buckhorn tube feed bolt action from about 1935' being the oldest . I find that the old vintage 22's are much better shooters Dan any of the newer cheap off-the-shelf production rifles that you usually see , and they're much better quality. One thing you want to keep an eye out for are the old department store guns from Sears Roebuck & Co . & Monkey Wards. most of the Sears department store 22s that I've seen are nice old High Standard's that were made before high-standard went out of business in the late 60s like my JC Higgins model 31. The best thing about nice old vintage 22s is their better shooters & you can usually pick them up for a song these days because most people want some kind of plastic Mall ninja tactical junk instead .

12. runfiverun

runfiverun G&G Evangelist

22's cost too much to shoot.

blaster and Ten Man like this.
  13. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Evangelist

A very sad statement of current affairs, for most folks.

Fortunately, I had stocked up before Obola got "elected" and I have plenty to last a LONG time, unless the grandkids get a hold of it! LOL!!

Dutch and rando like this.
  14. jerry

jerry Since 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    I shoot the stuff like it’s a buck a round.

15. MoDoc

MoDoc G&G Evangelist

I toss it around like a wealthy man of leisure feeding pigeons, not even seeing where it goes - just smiling at the shiny brass piling up to the right of me.

Dutch and EtherialOne like this.
  16. Have to say that I never exit a gun store without perusing the used rimfire rack!

A couple of my favorite finds have been my Remington Speed master, my H&R 22 mag autoloader (can't remember the model number at the moment) and an old JC Higgins pump that can handle s/l/lr, and I'm sure there will be new additions to the collection when something catches my eye.

MoDoc likes this.
  17. Big Dog

That's what I did for years, especially the local pawnshops. Prices were cheap enough to bukld a good collection. But several years ago, prices climbed. No good deals anymore.
    Latest rimfire I bought was the Henry Goldenboy, for full retail price. Lovely rifle, excellent shooter. But can't afford any more at that price!

EtherialOne likes this.
  18. rando

rando G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Maryland
    I am not sure about costly to shoot a 22. There is so much 22 in supply right now and cheap. I saw CCI boxes of 50 for like $2.50 a box at Walmart a little while ago. They have 100 round packs in many brands for like $7 a box. I have hundreds of boxes of bricks of 22 stored for future use. Cheapest ammo to buy and shoot

MoDoc and EtherialOne like this.
  19. rando

rando G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Maryland
    I have collected 22 rifles for over 40 years. I have like lets just say far enough of them. I have many lever actions, semi auto, bolt action tube feed, single shot etc.. in about every brand and even from department stores.

MoDoc likes this.
  20. runfiverun

runfiverun G&G Evangelist

7 cents each is almost double what I shoot my 9mm and 44 type guns for.
    cheap is relative.