A friend's M1 Carbine

Discussion in 'M1 Carbine' started by Ninja Piper, Sep 10, 2010.

1. Ninja Piper

Ninja Piper G&G Evangelist

A friend of mine gave me his carbine to take a look at. It was having issues chambering rounds. I took it apart and it looked as if it hadn't been cleaned since Berlin! At any rate, it is an absolutely beautiful rifle! I was hoping some of you could enlighten us as to what he has. It seems to be all correct as it was a war bring back. It's an IBM SN #38875**. The stock is in almost perfect condition. No markings except for the (P) on the grip. The whole receiver is parkerized and is in really great condition. One thing that looked off was that the inside rails of the receiver looks like they are parkerized as well, not clean and smooth like mine. I know mine isn't USGI, but it didn't make sense that the inside rails would be parkerized.

2. oldjarhead

oldjarhead G&G Evangelist

MO
    Not sure of your question.
    You've already stated it's an IBM war bring back.
    I would guess that somewhere during the carbine's past it has been re-parkerized and saw little use after that; thus the parkerization hasn't been worn.
    It also appears the stock may have been replaced although I haven't found a P mark designated to a war-time carbine...still looking.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2010

3. texnmidwest

texnmidwest Sir Loin of Beef Forum Contributor

Jer the P is a proof mark, FWIW. But at least that shows that it is still the GI stock. Not too up on the different stamps on the carbine but if you can, bring it Sunday and let us have a look!

I agree with the repark job. If in the repark job they reparked the chamber as well.....bad news.

4. Ninja Piper

Ninja Piper G&G Evangelist

To clarify, the main questions were 1. when was it made? 2. is the parkerizing on the inside of the receiver supposed to be there, and if not, could that be part of what is causing the failure to chamber problems? 3. what would it be worth?

Tex, he's coming to shoot the match on Sunday.

5. oldjarhead

oldjarhead G&G Evangelist

MO
    Look at the barrel just below the front sight, there should (may) be a date stamped there which will give you an idea of when it was produced. There are no distinct records of manufacture by serial numbers...unfortunately.
    Parkerization of the rails could cause the problem but if the chamber is parked, as Tex mentions, it could definately be a problem. A reaming of the chamber should take care of the park problem if that is the case...must (best) be done by a good gunsmith.
    Value would probably be in the range of $650-850 at hte moment. I speculate carbine prices to increase some since the CMP has sold out.

6. Paper

Paper I can justify anything. Forum Contributor

I looked at the rifle today, and then compared it to my Winchester.. No difference in where the parkerizing was in the rails.. I did mention that it needs to be torn down and have him grease the rails and bolt lockup points as shown on the CMP website.

http://www.thecmp.org/pdfs/m1carbinedisassembly.pdf

7. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

So...was it a type 1, 2, or 3 ???

8. Paper

I really didn't pay attention.. I'm guessing a 3? It had a bayo mount, and a later model rear sight, but it had a round bolt.. Can't remember much more than that..

He's actually just finishing up a CMP match with it right now.. I shot my Winnie in the first relay but had to get home and didn't stick around for the second relay.. Tex and NP shot in the first relay with me..

9. Paper

I don't pay attention to it since all of mine are the same.. Bayo mount and later rear sight.. Standard CMP rifles..

Looking forward to hearing how he shot. Very nice younger guy and it was fun to shoot with Tex and Ninja Piper at the Match this morning.. Perfect weather!!! I took pictures, but I'll toss them up in a different post.

10. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

Sounds Good Paper !!!

Type 1...Has Original flip L sight (No stake marks on Rec) and No Bayonet Lug.
    Type 2...Has adjustable sight and No Bayonet lug.
    Type 3...Has adjustable sight and Bayonet Lug (Most common).
    Type 4...Bubbafied , tapped for scope, aftermarket stock, rubber buttpad, etc.

LOL

11. Paper

All of mine are type 3.. If I can find a perfect Irwin Pederson, I'll make it into a type 4.. :)

I'm closing in on all the manufacturers.. I have a National Postal Meter on the way, and I'm bidding on a Quality Hardware.. If I get it, I'll have them all, except for a IP.. If I win the lottery, I'll get an IP, maybe. :D

12. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

Haha...I have the Type 4 Irwin Pederson...LOL
    I still have the Type 2 Quality Hardware Carbine...I just havent been home in 2 months for more than a few minutes.
    Rich