Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I would post something here. The last several topics were started by Clancy. I guess everybody's attention is on the carbines. That's too bad. I just never liked the carbines as much as the Garand.

What do you think it is, the carbines?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Carbines? Naaaah!

Well, I suppose that there are some folks obsessed with the carbine release from CMP. And the lack of Garands -- until what, October? -- isn't helping any.

I think, however, that the slow-down on the various boards has a much simpler explanation. It's called Summer, guys: you remember Summer, don't you? That's when folks take the firearms they've been posting about all Winter to the range and actually shoot 'em!

There.

Ben Hartley

·
Premium Member
1,087 Posts
All I can say is they are the best marketeers that I have seen in along time. Also Orest is trying to get them gone by years end from what I heard. The sooner there gone the better it is incase the wrong folks get in office.

Rick B

·
Banned
1,236 Posts
Boy I know I'm gonna get shot-down on this,but without the exemption of price going out of this World.How much more can be written about two ultra historical dinosaurs?The good M1 Garand with the M14 being the best of the two,and the M1 Carbine being an exceptional plinker.

·
Premium Member
1,087 Posts
I can bring up many stories on the M1 Carbine doing allot of killing. Ask Bugsy Seagal about the one he took to the head when they killed him with the 30 cal Carbine. Ask Audie L. Murphy how he loved his. It is still a weapon and I wouldn't want to take a shot from one even in super heavy clothing. Rick B

·
Premium Member
7,703 Posts
I love the M1 Garand.

It's the symbol of American superiority in WWII.

I have yet to find one I will call my own, though.
I want one shooter, and one collector.

·
Registered
8,754 Posts
Well, I understand that they were trying to get the Garands out the door and into the hands of civilians before Hitlery and Schmucky Schumer get their hands on the CMP program, but I think it was wrong for them to sell them by the dozens to one person. It should be one per person, per year. Then people wouldn't get left in the cold. I waited too long, and that's my fault, but it didn't help that they let people buy 8-12 of them so they can part them out on Ebay. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
The limit thing has been beat to death many many times. Bottom line is CMP is in buissness to sell rifles, ammo ,etc to raise funds to promote shooting sports. If they find someoen who is buying rifles just for nothing more than resale they do stop them from purchasing anymore. They don't sell dozens to one person a year the limit is 12 which is one dozen. Its better to get them in the hands of civilians no matter who is getting them than being destroyed ny the governmant.One reason there were so many parts on E-bay was from the woodless Danes. People would buy a few WD scavenge the parts to make a correct rifle, selling off parts they didn't need. Just because you waited and sat around to long to get a Garand I should only be allowed to buy one rifle a year? I don't think so CMP has been around for years and advertise in a few differnt gun mags, if you missed the boat its your own fault,

·
Banned
1,236 Posts
I can bring up many stories on the M1 Carbine doing allot of killing. Ask Bugsy Seagal about the one he took to the head when they killed him with the 30 cal Carbine. Ask Audie L. Murphy how he loved his. It is still a weapon and I wouldn't want to take a shot from one even in super heavy clothing. Rick B
Bugsy Siegel was shot with a 30-30 lever action I was informed from the History Channel,Marlin or Winchester they didn't tell us.

The first time I fired the Garand M1 was in 1956,I was 17 and remember thinking WOW this rifle speaks with authority.With the bayonet it possess the heft and strength needed in hand to hand fighting.

The positive I remember about the M1 Carbine was it's light.When firing it definitely didn't have the authority I'd want in my hands when the Buggy Man is trying to kill me.But then it's intended purpose was for rear echelon troops,I know to some degree if was used on the line also.

·
Premium Member
1,087 Posts
I'm trying to think of who it was then??? He was shot on the couch at night thru his window but I forget the name it seems. These guys were vulnearble and many of them were killed and no men to protect them. Its taking the time and doing it quickly as many gansters found was deadly. Rick B

·
Registered
8,754 Posts
The limit thing has been beat to death many many times. Bottom line is CMP is in buissness to sell rifles, ammo ,etc to raise funds to promote shooting sports. If they find someoen who is buying rifles just for nothing more than resale they do stop them from purchasing anymore. They don't sell dozens to one person a year the limit is 12 which is one dozen. Its better to get them in the hands of civilians no matter who is getting them than being destroyed ny the governmant.One reason there were so many parts on E-bay was from the woodless Danes. People would buy a few WD scavenge the parts to make a correct rifle, selling off parts they didn't need. Just because you waited and sat around to long to get a Garand I should only be allowed to buy one rifle a year? I don't think so CMP has been around for years and advertise in a few differnt gun mags, if you missed the boat its your own fault,
Well, I guess that's your opinion. The orignal intent of the CMP was to train as many people as possible in marksmanship. I don't think selling a person 12 rifles in one year is the best way to keep in line with that original goal.

And yes, I think you should be limited to buying one a year so other people might get one. As far as waiting around too long, I said that was my fault, you don't have to be such a jerk and rub it in. Sometimes in life you have to prioritize a little.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Jerk huh, now you are name calling. I didn't think I came across that way at all, just stating facts. Its up to CMP not you or me to set the limits. CMP's intent is to introduce marksmanship to the public, not buy just suppling rifles to them . It goes much much deeper than that. The revenue "from the sales" of rifles ammo, literature, tools supplies, etc,etc, goes to the funding of shooting sports,training, education, etc. Garand sales is just a small part of it. There are Carbines, 1903's, 22's, BB guns. Actually I have purchased 11 Garands in the last 2 years and before you start screaming that I'm a dealer you should know that I have givin two away to those that couldn't afford one. So if I was limited to one per year someone wouldn't have got a Garand. Anyway the supply of Garands isn't completely over not quite yet anyways, so start saving or should they hold one back especially for you when you can afford it. I'm done on this subject , it has been beat to death many times and I just got sucked into it again.

·
Registered
8,754 Posts
Well, you certainly weren't that nice about it, in my opinion. I was just stating my opinion, and you jump in with about me missing the boat.

I don't think that the government was about to destroy the rifles, if they were, fine, open up the flood gates and sell them for 50 bucks to get them out the door. But even with current political climates I don't think that was going to happen. So what was the big hurry? Selling something for less than market value invites people to buy large quantity and resale them at a profit. And I think that was not the right thing for them to do. Again, that's my opinion.

Enjoy your nine Garands.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Selling them less than market value? Man thats the first time I have heard that. OK for the next batch of Garands coming out I'm sure they will raise the price then you can complain about that to!

·
Premium Member
1,087 Posts
Ok Guys,
you both have some good points and honestly we shouldn't get upset with each other over the CMP's selling procedures. I see both of your points and think were going to deep. I think .22 took your comment a to heart and Orlando take a step back and you can see how it may seem as if you basically said "To Bad you Loose" :34: in a rougher way than maybe intended.. I know it wasn't your intentions but look at how someone else may take it first by reading it over. .22Guy you also did call him a jerk:hitwithrock: which didn't help matters any. Yes it was following his comment I understand but lets get back on track, ok guys.

Lets shake hands :kiss: and go back to our corners to discuss the Garand itself. Thanks,,Rick B

·
Registered
8,754 Posts
Selling them less than market value? Man thats the first time I have heard that. OK for the next batch of Garands coming out I'm sure they will raise the price then you can complain about that to!
Well, when they sell something for 4 or 5 hundred dollars and then someone takes it to a gunshow and sell it for a few hundred more, in my opinion that is selling below market value.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Anyone else read this:

Eventually, Siegel's business venture in Las Vegas failed. Hill stole the money Siegel owed the mob and fled to Paris, then Sweden. Hill was not at home on the night of June 20, 1947, when, at 10:45 p.m., a mob hit-man, (allegedly Eddie Cannizzaro), hid outside the couple's mansion at 810 N. Linden Drive in Beverly Hills and shot Siegel many times with a U.S. military M1 Carbine as he sat near a window reading the Los Angeles Times. One of the .30-caliber bullets smashed the bridge of Siegel's nose, the impact and pressure blowing Siegel's left eyeball out of socket, where it was found intact, 14 feet away from the body. Though there were no witnesses to the shooting to testify to the fact, the physiology of the wounds suggests that 41-year-old Bugsy Siegel died instantly. The crime went unpunished, since no one was ever charged with this bloody and much-photographed mob murder (the standards of the papers at the time allowed the bodies of "mob" murder victims to be photographed in ways which would have never been permitted for deaths of "respectable" citizens).

Though Siegel was actually not shot exactly through the eye (the eyeball would have been destroyed if this had been the case), the bullet-through-the-eye style of killing became popular in Mafia movies, called the "Moe Greene special"[1] after the character Moe Greene was killed in this manner in The Godfather. Other references to this form of demise come from The Sopranos, where the character of Brendan Filone is also executed with a bullet through the eye. Siegel was hit by many other bullets from the 15 round carbine magazine, however, including shots through his body and lung. A second bullet to his head which passed through his right cheek and though back of his neck, would almost certainly have been fatal by itself. [2][3].

·
Premium Member
1,087 Posts
That is exactly what I read and thank you for taking the time to dig it up. I looked briefly the other night but did not get it to come up on searching.

There are many others buried in Gods Green earth and some frozen that died from the M1 Carbine. The are proof it did the job. Remember the Mafias choice for many years was a 22, a much lesser of a bullet than the carbine.

By the way in all of the WWII books I have seen, I never seen a German with a Garand but I have seen plenty with the M1 carbine. Rick B

Some good reads. Rick B

M1 Carbine

M1 carbine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The M1 Carbine

M-1/M-2 Carbine Rifle

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
OK 22Guy, I'll be the bigger man and apologize. I truely didn't mean to offend you. There are a few things to think about though. The dirctor of CMP has discussed this on the CMP forum many times. He stated that the number of people buying more than one rifle in a year is a very ,very low percentage compared to the number of rifles sold in a year. Most peple are buying one. Also there is absolutly nothing wrong with buying a rifle and then reselling it for any price if you decide to do so( need the money, hobbies change etc) CMP will also ban pepole from purchasing again if you have proof that they are buying with the sole intent of resale for profit. He also stated that if they were to change the limit to one rifle per year the price would have to drastically raise as they would have to store them . They are nonprofit but do have expenses. They pay armorers , sales people, secrataries, etc, etc. Its really no buissness of ours what the limit is. Again, I apologize, I'm really not a jerk I just tend to get riled up when uniformed people make statements without the facts.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts