A good vacation for you bow hunters!

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by killsnapz, Aug 24, 2010.

1. killsnapz

killsnapz G&G Evangelist

Up here in Conneticut we have a serious overpopulation of deer. Here is a good artilce from a local paper.
    Excess deer population has its costs - StamfordAdvocate

It would be alot easier to deal with it but most of the areas around here are restricted to bow hunting only and only on your own property or with the owner permission. If I had a clue how to butcher a deer I could sit on my patio and wait almost any night and they will walk up within about 50 feet of the patio. I am a good shot with a bow and I am sure I could nail one but I would never kill one unless someone else was there to gut it and butcher it. Even though they do alot of damage to the gardens ever year I still could not bring myself do just kill a deer unless it was going to eaten. Today we had about 20 wild turkey's eating all of the new grass seed that was just put down! Now I am seriously thinking of getting a pellet gun and poping some of there heads. They are like giant rats around here.

Michael

2. tnmedic

tnmedic G&G Evangelist

wow gutting and skinning a deer is fairly easy, it's the butchering afterwards that I never did like. I wish the deer and turkey were like that here in TN, I had a couple wild turkeys for most of the summer that liked my yard but I guess finally after all the water receded and the hollows dried out they went back down to never been seen again. Good luck figuring out what to do about the animal population in your yard and you might distract them with some wild birdseed instead of expensive grass seed

3. killsnapz

killsnapz G&G Evangelist

It's frustration having a closet full of high powered mil-surps and not being able to blast these PIA wild turkeys that have infested this whole area. I usally try and run them down with the car if I see them in the road infront of me but they can move pretty fast if they want. I really don't want to spend $200 bucks on a decent air rifle when it could go towards a nice mil-surp but I might not have a choice. Someone stole my guard cat Scooter about 3 months ago otherwise he would have made short work of the turkeys but there was not much he could do about the deer.

Michael

4. tnmedic

tnmedic G&G Evangelist

lol I have seen cats try and go at a wild turkey, they usually end up hiding under a porch or something till the turkey leaves since trees offer no protection for the cat, but trees do offer protecetion for a cat from deer, which is amusing as well when a nice little buck has a cat tree'd