Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the guys at work came through the guard shack at work yesterday carrying a box of 7mm Remington Mag and a box of 9mm ammo looking like he had been raped. The 7mm ammo was Hornady American Whitetail, and the 9mm ammo was a 20 box of some sort of self defense ammo by Winchester. I asked him about it and all he would say was 93 f'n dollars. I asked him where he got it, he told me, but I don't remember the name of the store because it's not somewhere I regularly go.

·
Premium Member
10,156 Posts
I saw a guy set up at the local Flea Market this morning. He had plenty of hunting stuff and ammo. I glanced at the ammo and prices and just laughed. Some people are tricked into buying the stuff. If you look around it can be found. He was asking $60 a box of 380. I found a box of 9mm critical defense last week for $5 . I gave it to my neighbor as I have plenty.

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
I just order my SD stuff from Federal.
I load most everything else.
The only SD I shoot is in my carry when I rotate the ammo, Once a month. Ordered enough 380 SD when it was on sale a few months ago to last another 5 years. Got 500 rounds of hydro shock for about 75 cents a round, so done with that mess for a while.
Just been favoring my 22's Cause I have something like 10k rounds, Also my AR lately, because I cast my own bullets for it, and have thousands of primers for it. Saves on the other ammo.
Hunting ammo we'll have enough I got before the crisis, probably to last a lifetime.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I guess the only solace is that its expensive for the bad guys too. Heh, it may come down to bad guys robbing folks of their ammunition. You come walking out of your LGS, Cabela's, or wherever, with 5 boxes of Hornady 9mm FTX and the bad guy pulls his gun on you and says "This is a stickup!" As you start to hand over your wallet he says "No, no, no. The ammo!" :mad:

·
NOT a new member
1,754 Posts
Other than a couple calibers that I have not had long there is nothing I am in dire need of. Your worker friend needs to realize that ammo makers are working on the most in demand rounds and I doubt 7mm rem mag is high on their list. There is nothing across the north american continent that 30-06, 308, 300 win mag, or some of the other rounds that there are stacks of on the shelves, won't take down. Firearm supplies are back to a decent level so I would suggest to this fellow he look for a 30-06 or a 308. I have been picking up Federal 30-06 soft points for 19.99 a box and I did find some 300 win mag norma for 26.99 a box.
Also starting to find winchester 9mm in 115gn and 147gn JHP 50 rnd boxes for about 25.00, far better than 25.00 a box for 20rnds marked for personal defense ammo. I stocked up on the 147gn.

We have had travelers come thru the area and buy up stuff so its back to purchase limits on ammo the flippers and hoarders are looking for. A couple of the local shops if you are from out of state and you are buying more than a box or two of anything they just tell them they can't sell to non residents, which is true with some exceptions.

The best advice you could give this guy is LEARN TO RELOAD

·
NOT a new member
1,754 Posts
I visited a sports shop a month ago and saw a box of 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser for $75. Fortunately I have enough components to keep me busy loading and shooting test loads until this shortage (hopefully) ends.

Back during the odumbo ammo shortage I happened in a surplus / firearm / junk shop. While looking around I spotted some Norma 6.5 x 55 boxes on a shelf behind the counter and they had price stickers of 8.00 on them. When the guy came over and I asked about them he said he would make a deal on them. Turned out they were once fired Norma brass in the old wood grain and red colored Norma boxes. I could not refuse what he offered them for and told him I would buy all he could find and I think it ended up at 6 or 7 boxes.
Back when I bought my Swedish Mauser in the late 80's ammo seemed scarce and then thru the 90's it seemed to be at every gun show and now its scarce again. I got plenty of factory 6.5 x 55 and a decent supply of brass.

·
Registered
5,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Other than a couple calibers that I have not had long there is nothing I am in dire need of. Your worker friend needs to realize that ammo makers are working on the most in demand rounds and I doubt 7mm rem mag is high on their list. There is nothing across the north american continent that 30-06, 308, 300 win mag, or some of the other rounds that there are stacks of on the shelves, won't take down. Firearm supplies are back to a decent level so I would suggest to this fellow he look for a 30-06 or a 308. I have been picking up Federal 30-06 soft points for 19.99 a box and I did find some 300 win mag norma for 26.99 a box.
Also starting to find winchester 9mm in 115gn and 147gn JHP 50 rnd boxes for about 25.00, far better than 25.00 a box for 20rnds marked for personal defense ammo. I stocked up on the 147gn.

We have had travelers come thru the area and buy up stuff so its back to purchase limits on ammo the flippers and hoarders are looking for. A couple of the local shops if you are from out of state and you are buying more than a box or two of anything they just tell them they can't sell to non residents, which is true with some exceptions.

The best advice you could give this guy is LEARN TO RELOAD
Are the moment I'm going to refer him to Bridgeport Tractor Supply in Gallipolis, oh. They had ammo the last time I was there and it was a lot cheaper than what he paid. Later on when supplies are easier to get I'll talk to him about reloading.

·
NOT a new member
1,754 Posts
Our local Rural King has 7mm Remington Mag on the shelf,, its Winchester hunting ammo at 33.99 a box. Rural King will ship ammo to residents of other states if you don't have one local. Right now their warehouse does not have any. If you get to a Rural King they can check inventory of other stores. If it shows store 13 that is the main distribution warehouse.

·
Registered
5,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Our local Rural King has 7mm Remington Mag on the shelf,, its Winchester hunting ammo at 33.99 a box. Rural King will ship ammo to residents of other states if you don't have one local. Right now their warehouse does not have any. If you get to a Rural King they can check inventory of other stores. If it shows store 13 that is the main distribution warehouse.
The Rural King just below work seems to be getting mostly 5.56, 7.62X51, 7.62X39, 7.62X54, 9mm, 40 S&W, and a little 12ga. They aren't getting much else. They also have some Norma 22 LR for 8.99 a 50 round box

·
NOT a new member
1,754 Posts
Our local Rural King had stacks of 9mm in several brands all in the 20.00 to 23.00 range. They had a couple specials going on where some of the 9mm was below 20.00 a box and people bought it up. There is still a good amount on the shelves but when people hoard at just under 20.00 a box it signals to the makers and sellers that is likely to be the bottom line price point going forward. Rifle ammo will sit for awhile too high of a price to move much, then they will drop it to a decent price till it starts to move and then push the price back up to even higher than when it first was put out.

·
Premium Member
13,433 Posts
One of the guys at work came through the guard shack at work yesterday carrying a box of 7mm Remington Mag and a box of 9mm ammo looking like he had been raped. The 7mm ammo was Hornady American Whitetail, and the 9mm ammo was a 20 box of some sort of self defense ammo by Winchester. I asked him about it and all he would say was 93 f'n dollars. I asked him where he got it, he told me, but I don't remember the name of the store because it's not somewhere I regularly go.
Was he holding his butt like it's been penetrated? Sounds like it was.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I live in CA and avoid buying ammo. A dealer required me to go through a background check with any of my existing firearms to just buy a box of .22lr. I consider the law as an indirect way of determining what guns a person owns and shoots so I said no.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts