A lesson about steping away from a problem.

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Doglips, Oct 17, 2002.

1. Doglips

Doglips Guest

We put a lot of miles on our cars and I hate paying someone else to fix them....well wifee poos car had a intermitn problem...just sudenly losses pick up. sometimes when cold..others when hot....highway speed and city speed....would last a few min then be fine. Welp pulled ever sensor, electronic control module I could and hand them tested...no luck...pulled engin computer codes..none....changed fule filter, air filter, plugs cap roter....no luck...took it to the shop $35 not bad....Coil termanal corroded (Coil cost $13).... Lesson 1 keep it simple..check the obious.

Put the coil on...decided to put new plug wires on....after being up all night....no loss of power...but now missing....check everything cuss scream...wimper.....now up 24 hours and getting grumpy...screw it took a nap....went out and looked....I put the # 1 wire on cylinder 3 and #3 on cylinder 1 (6 cylender engin).
    Lesson 2....dont rush..dont try to think when exuseted....and some times takeing a break from the problem and the problem will make some more sense.

Now if I can just get that 454 engin to fit in my Hyundi Excell Ill solve its power problem.

2. Man I know what you mean I work on my own vehicles. Sometimes it's best just to back off and think about it. I had to have the rack and pinion replace in my wifes Acura. Thats one job I didn't want to tackle.

3. lefty o

lefty o G&G Evangelist

mn
    try being slightly dyslexic- thats how life is everyday.

4. Oxford

Oxford G&G Evangelist

dyslexic ro just plain oot da mned tired to thnik?

Lefty O: As I recall, Doglips mentioned recently that he might be a little dyslexic, too. Now that's definitely a good excuse for switching wires around, just like words.

This would be especially true after staring at the wires glassy eyed for 24 hours.(ha) It's a wonder he even found his right bed that night. :D :nod:

5. Lenny2

Lenny2 Guest

I used to work on my cars. But now that they are fairly new, I am spoiled on taking it in for warranty work. I could tell them that the alternator is bad, but they're the experts - right?

6. lefty o

lefty o G&G Evangelist

mn
    definately a good excuse-sometimes the brain just dont want to co-operate!! much frustrating at times.

7. taras

taras Guest

I do mech. work under the table for a little extra jingle, and that incl. small engine repair. Someone brought in an electric mower to sharpen the blades, lube, etc. After this I turn it on and get nothing. Badly frayed cord, so I replace it still nothing. Switch looks worn, replace it,nothing.
    After hours of frustration checking and reconnecting every single wire, even going over Franklin's theory of electricity, I swear I will never touch another electric motor and go inside for a wobbly pop. Go downstairs where the beer stays cool only to find that the old lady had unplugged the extension cord to plug in the wash machine.
    Well the owner got his newly re-built machine back with sharpened blades, on the house and I learnt the most important rule of all...Check the obvious, and KISS...keep it simple stupid.

8. Oxford

Oxford G&G Evangelist

Taras: That's a great story. Funny but I can see how that could happen. Like you said, look for the solution in the order of the most simple to the most complex.

Oxford:nod: :D

9. i've been doing my share of yelling and carrying on, but that's how it goes when you try to upgrade the suspension on a Porsche actually that's how it goes when you try to do anything on a Porsche, it's times like this when i really miss my '70 Camaro with the 400cid big block i ripped from an old cadillac, all i needed to work on that car was a set of wrenches and a hammer, and if it won't come off easily, don't force it, get a bigger hammer!!:D
    -Jesse

10. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

8mm, I used to have a '70 Cadillac coupe d'ville with the 400 cid with a 4bbl quadrajet and dual exhaust with glasspack mufflers...man that car would pass everything but a gas station!

11. Taras because of my job I work on a lot of small engines. Most of the time it is the simple things that I over look.

12. Doglips

Doglips Guest

The best and yet worse "tool" I ever bought was an air compressor with ratchet and impact wrench...saves time but Ive torn some stuff up trying to speed things along :)