Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to buy a stripped lower. I called the local gun shop and these are some of the things I was told.

I wanted to see about a colt.
I was told that colts machining was JUNK and that they use a 169 trigger pin which is not the same as other AR lowers. They are also the most expensive which I knew but they suppose to be the best.

He had a saber arms stripped lower for 149. Said they were one of the best.

Also had a stag arms for 139.

Lower parts kit by DPMS is about 60 dollars.

Has a stripped DPMS upper for 170.00.
Or a full 18" stainless DPMS upper nato chamber 1 in 8 twist stainless barrel 980.00 dollars.

Also said that none of them are MILSPEC because they are not full auto :hitwithrock:. Which I call BS on as well as some of the other things he said.

He also told me that It is cheaper to just buy one right out from a manufacturer which I did not get according to my math.

So My question is. What is the truth, Is the snake Junk? Is it better to buy a whole rifle. I am calling BS on this guy but I want some other opinions, this will be my first AR but not my first rodeo. Just looking for a little knowledge from the AR crowd. Thanks for your help

·
Registered
935 Posts
Well, I'd say you have this guy pegged right. Colt does have different size pins, but it's not a war stopper. I don't think the Colt is any better than some of the others you named or any worse, for that matter, but Colt is not junk by any means. If it was me, I'd get either the DPMS or the Stag. Either one is a good reputable outfit. And quality is high on both. Never heard anything about Saber Arms stuff. He's completely out in the Ozone layer on his price for the complete DPMS SS upper. All in all, I'd say this dude is full of chit. And I, personnaly, would not spend a dime of my hard earned money with him. I've seen too many people get behind a counter and turn into a self made expert. All this in only my personal opinion. Other folks on here may and probably will disagree. Good luck in your endeavors. JB PS...You can save a few dollars by building your own as opposed to buying the complete set up.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea I bought my Springfield XD from the shop cause they are the biggest and basically only shop I could find what i wanted without a 8 month wait. But I doubt I will be doing much more business with him. I thought I was thinking right about this cat. And I KNEW I could build it a little cheaper than buying, when he said that I was like "HUH!"

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
I don't agree with anything that guy told you. Colt, LMT, Bushmaster, Stag, Sabre and a few other are mil-spec or at least as close as you can get in the civilian market. What makes them mil spec are the steel they are made from and the process in which they are made. Who do you think makes the majority of the ARs for the military? Yes some of the pins on Colts are different sizes, but not all. The Colt 6920 is about the best carbine money can buy.

I don't see many Colt stripped lowers, but they are around if you look hard enough. If you are going to spend that much on a lower get a LMT for sure. It is far far far cheaper to build a decent rig than buy one out of the box. I put together an RRA for the fraction of the price it would have cost me if I bought a complete rifle, plus you gain the knowledge of exactly how an AR is put together. I went with a DPMS lower because I love DPMS lowers, but nothing else DPMS. Alot of it is personal preference and keep this in mind, you will hear a million different opinions from every person you ask, but for sure it is cheaper to put together your own rifle. Of course if you ask a gun shop they will tell you to buy a complete rifle, I don't think I have to tell you why.

P.S., that is a great price for a Sabre lower and you should get it. Don't put a DPMS lower kit in a Sabre though, get a Stag LPK.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Yes I really think the guy was looking for a commission and is a douche. I found this. add 10 dollars shipping and 25 dollar FFL transfer and your at 200 bucks for a lower. and I can get it with and OD green A2 grip, and i would like green hardware to match My XD .40. I know it is silly but I think a matching XD and AR would be kinda classy:headbang:.
Also is the rock river stage 2 trigger worth the 80.00?
Del-Ton, Inc. AR-15 Stag Arms Complete Lower Receiver

Or should I just get it stock and all for a bit more.

Del-Ton, Inc. AR-15 Stag Arms Complete Lower Receiver with Buttstock

Also Magpull and M4 is there a big difference in the adjustable stocks?
I Would like to know basically if you guys have found it cheaper to buy stocks and things after the fact or just do it all in one piece. Thanks again guys I appreciate all your knowledge. I thought about posting on one of the AR boards but I like the community here better, it's smaller and more helpful plus I can tell almost of you guys know your stuff from your other post i have seen.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I am looking to buy a stripped lower. I called the local gun shop and these are some of the things I was told.

I was told that colts machining was JUNK and that they use a 169 trigger pin which is not the same as other AR lowers. They are also the most expensive which I knew but they suppose to be the best.

Or a full 18" stainless DPMS upper nato chamber 1 in 8 twist stainless barrel 980.00 dollars.

Also said that none of them are MILSPEC because they are not full auto :hitwithrock:. Which I call BS on as well as some of the other things he said.

He also told me that It is cheaper to just buy one right out from a manufacturer which I did not get according to my math.

So My question is. What is the truth, Is the snake Junk? Is it better to buy a whole rifle. I am calling BS on this guy but I want some other opinions, this will be my first AR but not my first rodeo. Just looking for a little knowledge from the AR crowd. Thanks for your help
those prices here are kind of hi!that's ridiculos!:34::hitwithrock:
wre is your location ?

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
I like Stag a lot!! You can't go wrong. There is a huge difference in the Magpul and standard adjustable stocks, night and day. The Magpul stock is really neat looking, but with excellent function. It is all personal preference in the long run and what you can afford, just don't let people sway you from putting together the rifle you want.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think this is the one I'm looking into getting
Del-Ton, Inc. AR-15 Stag Arms Complete Lower Receiver with Buttstock
Regular M4 6 position buttstock cause I think it is a tapco.
OD green stock and grip. Also you guys have any opinions on adjustable triggers or the RRA stage 2 triggers? Worth the extra cash for a plinker/defensive weapon? Thanks again guys really appreciate all the good info

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
I have one in my 18'' mid length and like it a lot. I got the RRA lower kit with the 2 stage and don't regret it one bit. I went ahead and smoothed it out and shortened the pull. It is a great trigger for the money but maybe not ideal for a carbine. What are you going for? If all you are going to do is dump mag after mag then it is not the best fit, but if you are going for tight groups and take your time for each shot then it is perfect. IMO, a light pull single stage like a Chip McCormick or LMT is perfect for carbines and rifles that you are dumping mass amounts of ammo and fast, but 2 stage is for precise shots with tight groups.
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
What are you going for? If all you are going to do is dump mag after mag then it is not the best fit, but if you are going for tight groups and take your time for each shot then it is perfect.

Beer is 100% correct here. If you're just wanting something to plink with, just stick with the standard trigger. There's not a darn thing wrong with it for that.

If you want to shoot less than MOA (~1"@100yds) then get a 2 stage trigger. I put the RRA 2 stage on my target rifle and LOVE it. It's amazing.

As far as the colt/stag/dpms stuff, I honestly don't think that a Colt, DPMS, Bushmaster, etc is any better than one that you build, as long as it's built correctly. I'd just start with the Stag lower. If you want the brand name on there, get the DPMS, but in my opinion that's all you're getting for the extra $20 or $30. I'd also recommend putting your entire lower together yourself. Not for the cost, but for the knowledge. If you don't need that, it doesn't matter. :)

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The occasional mag dump will happen but that is what AK's are for, I want something that is accurate as well as fun and easy to shoot. I would put the lower together but Del-ton has such a good price on that stag lower completed that I can't see getting it somewhere else unless. It also seems a little cheaper to go ahead and get what you want to begin with than to go back and re piece. I really like a short bull barrel. I will probably honestly end up with 2 uppers starting out one for a nice bull barrel and one for a short carbine type look. I knew a little about these little black rifle to begin with but there is a lot to know, never realized they were THIS many accessories. If we could get some of those glam women in Hollywood to start accessorising with guns we would be in home free, cause if Hollywood say's it's ok IT MUST BE!

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
LOL...

Let me add this to your thoughts... I wanted accuracy, but liked the shorter barrel look. I went with a 16" extra heavy bull barrel, and the accuracy is not all I hoped it would be. If you are indeed wanting a target gun, I really say go with the 20". Additionally, a 16" heavy barrel is not tactical... it's heavy as heck. :)

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
That is why I went with the 18'' mid length, best of both worlds. Yes it is a bit heavy, but nothing compared to a M1A1 or a Garand.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
I like Bushy, but bull barrels are heavier than chit!

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
so you think a good 18'' barrel will do me fine out to say less than 500 meters? I know a chromed barrel is best. what about a stainless I have heard some good things but what are your thoughts?

·
Banned
3,876 Posts
Some Colt stuff you run into does have a different size trigger pin compared to the rest. However, I know ALL of their stuff is not like this. Colt does make a great gun, worth the money? Yeah, if the little logo means that much to you.

First thing I would do is ask him if he enjoys bending people over. A stainless upper for $980? Please tell me this is a complete AR? If not, this guy is a joke. The Stag lower for $140 is not THAT bad, however you could get it about $20-$30 cheaper.

If he wants to go that far, technically I guess he's right. It's not built to military specs because it's not EXACTLY the same. Is it cheaper to buy one then build? It depends. I can go buy a used M16 upper(complete) for about $300, a lower for $120, LPK for $60, a used stock/grip for fairly cheap, and buy the rest of the parts. That takes me to about $550 at the most for a complete rifle. Now, you can't buy a quality AR for $550, but you can build one. However, if you start talking about building a M4 profile upper with a free float tube, forward grip, 2 stage trigger blah blah blah, then yeah, it's about the same to buy it complete, or at least buy a complete lower and a complete upper and just stick them together.

It all depends on what you want, and unless you've got a decent amount of tools, and previous experience, I wouldn't get into building your own upper, just buy it complete. However I would put a lower together. It will give you a good look at how and why things work, plus it's fun. Anymore an AR is an AR. There are so many different companies that if one sold junk, they wouldn't be around very long. My first rifle was a Double Star lower, standard 16" Double Star upper, M16 bolt carrier group, and RRA stock, LPK, and a MIAD grip. Great gun.

so you think a good 18'' barrel will do me fine out to say less than 500 meters? I know a chromed barrel is best. what about a stainless I have heard some good things but what are your thoughts?
Spending the extra $50 for a chrome lined barrel means two things. One, it's a littler easier to clean, and two, if you live in a jungle it wont rust as bad/quickly as a non chrome lined barrel. If either of those two is worth the $50, then do it. Maybe I missed it, but what exactly are you wanting this rifle for? If your wanting to go out to 500 yards, I'd look into AT LEAST a full size stainless steel barrel, and look to spend $300, if not more on a good quality scope to go along with it(check out Supersniper scopes). Now, if you decide to stay under 300 yards, go with a 16" barrel. Will save you weight and space while still giving you the ability to reach out and uhh, touch someone at that distance. Also, if your going to spend that money, might as well throw in a match/2 stage trigger from RRA. Trust me, your going to drop some money on a quality long range AR. Now, I love AR's, but I'd much rather have a .308 at that distance then a .223. At this price, you could buy a PTR-91, or a really nice DSG FAL(when up over $1000). And actually, at that price be really close to a national match M1A, easily a 1000 yard gun. But it's up to you.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i appreciate the insight pred. This is going to be primarily a target/varmint rifle. Under 500 meters. I want a good rifle that will shoot as true on the first shot as the thousandth shot. I figure i can always buy another upper to fit my needs if i need something extremely long range.

·
Banned
3,876 Posts
Do a little research on a SAM-R(Squad Advanced Marksman Rifle). I'm going this route on one of my next builds, should give you what you want.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Will do thank you. How lopsided does a heavy barrel AR feel compared to an 18" normal barrel. Seems it would be a little to muzzle heavy now that I think about it.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts