Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok - I'm getting annoyed and I want to get a reality check from fellow shooters. I bought a 105CTI and had it for about a month before it started misfiring. I sent it back to the factory for warranty work more than a month ago. When I called Remingon to status check the repairs two weeks ago, I was informed it was "waiting for production to send over parts." I still dont have it back.

Am I being unreasonable to think Remington should have completed repairs by now?? I guess the most irritating part of the situation is that I am left with the impression that Remington believes it's good business practice to keep a customer who has already bought a gun waiting while continuing to use parts to build new guns that are not yet sold.

Anyway - just looking to vent and to get some informed feedback.

·
Registered
17,237 Posts
Patience ... my Boy Patience !
I know it is hard to wait for a gun to be returned, but remember that you are in the "Line " of other people getting repair work done. I know GunSmiths that take 8-9 months to repair guns , either because of being swamped, or waiting on parts to become available, or just being slow... I have guns I can't fix due to the unavailability of parts anywhere...
Give them time.
Rich

·
Resident Sasquatch
9,496 Posts
I'd be a bit peeved as well. Customer service is becoming non-existent in this country. I remember when most companies' highest priority was making sure their customers were happy.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I still think that we are the greatest nation in the world. But as crazy as this might sound, I have noticed that there is a lack of morals, and pride in the gen x-y-z? I know alot of people in my age group, 18-25. They just do not care. Families do not instill the" "do your best at everything you do" People do not take pride in their work anymore, unless they are a true craftsman at a trade. It's not only the parent fault, look at the schools, everyone wins, everyone is the best, I'm sorry folks it isnt true. Your 2 year associate arts degree in underwater basket weaving does not "REQUIRE" me to hire you because you did it. Employers do not strive to make employees feel like going above and beyond either i have work alot of places where the bare minimum is expected. You want to see a awesome working enviroment, look into Google and see how they run shop. Sorry to thread jack and rant, its been building up.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys - I feel somewhat vindicated in feeling the way I do.

If it was anyone else but Mooseman, I'd tell him I disagree. But, he's right I need to be a little more patient.

Although I will say, Remington is not a mom and pop gunsmith outfit where one would naturally expect long delays like this in getting work done nor should there be any delay in getting parts from its own production department.

I'm gonna give it another week before I go up the food chain and start pestering them until I can find a sympathetic ear.

Thanks fellas

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Yea, I would be a bit ticked as well. If they said they had more than they could fix, I could live with that. But, waiting on someone to bring over a part? That is a little much.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Well this i would suspect is a very busy time for them. I know the season just started here. So I would expect them to be alittle slow. A month may be alittle long though. I guess it may also depend on the problem. Also we have no idea of how many gunsmiths or gun repair persons they have on staff.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I spoke to the Remington home office yesterday, and here is what I learned.

Remington will not replace the failed parts with new ones of the same design. Because of numerous failures of this kind, Remington is in the process of manufacturing newly modifiied parts and this is going to take some time. This explains why there is a waiting list for parts - there arent any.

This isnt just a one part situation either - at least half a dozen different parts are involved.

When I asked how long before the repairs were finished, they could not provide a definitive answer.

I was assured that once all the parts were replaced, I would have a second generation 105CTI which was more reliable than the one I originally purchased three months ago.

I know that even the best designs and mechanical devices fail and that's just the way it goes and I appreciate Remington's candor in trying to handle the situation.

With that said, I would strongly urge anyone considering purchasing the Remington 105CTI to reconsider their choice and consider alternatives.

Ultimately, I only have myself to blame for allowing myself to be lured into purchasing a new and untested model before it earned a reputation among the shooting community.

I hope none of you make the same mistake I did and let all that BS about "Gun of the Year" lead you down the same path I took.

When I get it back, the Remington will serve as a backup or guest gun.

Gotta go now - I see a shiny new Beretta in my future as quickly as this weekend.

·
Registered
20,562 Posts
You know there ought to be away to get your money back ! I wonder if you can take Remington to small claims court ?
I would want my money back, if this were to happen to me.
While you were waiting to talk to some one did you hear a recording that this conversation may be recorded ? If so get a copy and take them to court and get your money back and then some...It's the American Way...lol

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
I purchased a 105CTI last feb. and have had no trouble with it after a couple thousand rounds but before I bought it I had read several articles including Gun Tests jan. 2007 review on them and past problems and improvements made to them.In your case it sounds to me that either knowingly or unknowingly the dealer let you purchase a firearm that he had in stock for a long time that didnt have the improvements in it.Also in my opinion Rem, should have had a recall because several gun editors had pointed out the failings of first production CTI,s and Rem. had made improvements,thus admitting they had put faulty merchandise on the market.All new systems should be researched as much as possible.Handguns are terrible in this respect but most are better in customer service than it seems Rem. has been.I wouldnt wait.I would bug them every day and even threaten to sue.I believe a class action law suit could be in order due to Rem. virtually admiting to putting faulty merchandise on the market.This is not what I consider a small investment.And to replace it doubles your investment.Good luck. sam.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for your supportive reply Samuel. From a legal perspective, I'm not convinced a law suit would be an effective approach to the problem.

For one thing, it would be difficult to prove much in the way of damages since the guns have not caused injuries. A consumer's pride or loss of opportunity during hunting season are not likely to result in a jury award making a law suit worth the time and expense.

As it happens, I'm a trial lawyer :scool:and believe me if I thought it was appropriate, I would serioiusly consider a legal option to encourage Remington to reconsider its position in asking customers to wait indefinitely for them to fix their problems.

I think at this point I'm better served by taking Mooseman's advice and just waiting it out and hoping Remington EVENTUALLY sends me the shotgun I paid for three months ago.

From a consumer satisfaction and loyalty standpoint, Remington should, at a minimum either replace the defective guns returned by customers with their new upgraded version immediately or at least offer a comparable loaner gun if they are going to ask their customers to wait indefinitely for parts.

Had they offered to do this, I would have considered remaining a Remington customer.

Remington's choice to do neither makes my decision simple - no more Remingtons.
:hitwithrock:

Exercising patience with Remington is going to be easier with a new Beretta in my hands though. :09:

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
Right now Remington is going through a transition with the outfit that bought them and is trying to build them back up.They almost went broke.I hate to see it but believe all consumers should beware of Remington products if this is typical of future costomer service.I have bought a lot of Remington products for years and never had any complaints but now they have new management so things may be different.I am a little imbarrised to find I was trying to advise a lawyer on on lawsuits.One thing I can advise is you will love the Beretta and I bet there will be no problem if you need customer service.They have great firearms and great service. sam.

·
Registered
6,054 Posts
Everyone talks about this car or that gun or this appliance is built by a company that offers a "no questions asked warranty." Well, a warranty is not worth crap if they don't back it up. Rarely to failure of warranty fullfillment end in some kind of mitigation settlement or court decision, because of the small-amount of damages.

As some have said here, customer service in this country is going to sh|t. I generall try to buy something that has been Tried & Proven over something of new design that is perported to have some 'great' warranty. After a company gets your money, they couldn't care less about your problems.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Orion, I did just as you did, and switched to Beretta, and have not looked back. It's kind of sad to see this happen with Remington's new "top of the line" gun. I can't advise you on Beretta's Warranty, because none of them that I own have had a problem, but if it is as good as their product, you will see no problems there.

·
Registered
3 Posts
orien, any update?

I know this is an old thread but found it very similar to my experience:

Bought the gun as soon as I could get my hands on it. At first I only had problems with cheap light loads. Then it wouldn't cycle ANYTHING. 3" turkey loads, STS, AA. It also started gashing a 1" long stip into the spent rounds.

Finally I sent it in, was told 6-8 weeks. As this is my only gun, I couldn't believe it. Asked for a replacement, loaner, anything. I kept getting told there was nothing they could do. So, I started dialing random numbers from their company directory. Wouldn't you know it within 1 day they had shipped a brand new one with the updates off the production line. :burnout:

Here is a post I found in another forum about the problem parts they are "updating."

F300810 Trig plt assb - this is apparently the trigger group. I don't have a clue why they are replacing it.

F301286 Interceptor latch - this must be the little thingy that sticks out of the receiver that you push to drop the bolt onto the chamber.. Probably got a lot of complaints about it being uncomfortable and redesigned it.

F301673 carrier buffer - this is a rubber bumper that the carrier rests against. the early design ones swell up if your cleaning liquid contains kerosene.

F301686 action sleeve outer plated - this is part of the stuff that is the piston that pushes the action open. This must give more reliability on functioning is my guess.

F301687 action sleeve inner plated - also part of the stuff that is the piston that pushes the action open.

F305890 bolt assembly - the bolt with all parts it contains, like firing pin. On mine the firing pin did not line up with the chamber center, and I had 5 failures to fire during 3000 rounds of use, because the firing pin hit too far from the primer center.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi Shadow,

As a matter of fact I just heard from Remington today - I'm told the gun should ship out in 5-7 days. That would make it about 7 weeks that they have had it.

The list of replacement parts you posted is nearly identical to the parts I was told needed replacement on my gun.

My gun problems were the same as yours - bad hits on the primer which were way out on the edge of the primer instead of centered. I was getting 4 out of 5 failures to fire when I sent it back.

Thanks for asking. I'll post the epilogue once I see how she shoots.

All I can say is, I love my new Beretta !!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Here's my 2 cents worth. I feel that Remington should have replaced your CTI 105 with a brand new unit. Stop and think how much money this will/could end up costing Remington! If they were to have responded immediately with a shinny new gun within a few days, I'm almost certian you would be a many times over purchaser of new Remington guns in the future, now I'm reasonably certian that when you belly up to the firearms counter, you may ask the question " what do you have in the new XXXXX round BESIDES Remington "????

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Roger that commnorth. In all fairness, the gun is a sweet shooter so . . . they would have had me as customer for life.

In fact, before the problems arose, I was seriously considering a second 105CTi for my wife. Now, we're seriously considering anything but.

Once again, it wasn't that the gun had some problems, I could have lived with that. I just expected a little better in the way of customer support.

·
Registered
3 Posts
i agree 100% orien. when it shot correctly it was GREAT. and it only took me a few times to get used to the speedloader, once i did it was fast and easy. no pushing buttons or anything. tracking number says mine will be here on Wednesday, I'm crossing my fingers the darn thing works!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Orien, I got my new one yesterday, serial number around 8,300. took it to the SC range and let everyone try it out. I think we put a total of around 700 rounds through it without any issue at all. AA's STS, heavy reloads, light reloads, cheap walmart rounds. Worked like a charm. There is hope! I wish this would have been the gun I bought from the store.

Also, I could definitely tell that they had put quite a few test shots through it before they sent it back...very wise of them (although they didn't clean it!)

They definitely shot themselves in the foot by rushing this masterpiece out.

I have enough confidence with it right now that it is going in the duck boat with me at midnight friday night.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts