close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

A New Dog Owner (Once Again)

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Chris, Jul 28, 2002.

1. Chris

Chris Administrator Staff Member

Well after my last dog Wilabi pasted on, I was determined never to get another dog, because I just didn't feel it was right...

Today my brother went and saw a man giving away 2 Huskie dogs, once female brown beautiful, and a black one that is just the prettiest thing you ever seen.

The man wanted to give both away and not seperate them because the black one was not as friendly...

The black dog has 1/8th wolf in him and is a bit more aggressive. Wow, the dog was very caring to me today, but I am guessing the master was within 10 feet of me. We shall see tommrow...

But the guy said repeatedly that he was scarred of the dog, so the dog does have agression, but I know that animals react the way you are acting, if you are scarred they are scarred and they do not know how to react.

So I believe the dog to be an excellent guard and with proper training and time and love that has to be given to him can be one heck of a dog, and I know the man that is giving him up is heartbroken because he had the dog before he was married...

I am just very excited at the moment!

I just hope he doesn't bite the hand that feeds him!!

2. Well if he does then teach him not to. You are the boss.

3. Chris

I agree, but this isn't your normal lets play catch dog :)

4. That's not what I mean if your dog ever bites you--better nip it in the bud or you will have big problems. I raised a doberman from birth and he bit me hard one time--no repeats. And he was a good frisbee player.

5. Redirect

Howdy Chris.

I recommend a book called "Good Owners Great Dogs"

With a tempremental dog remember to re direct, not assert authority.

You must establish yourself as the dominant male, and in such a manner that does not provoke confrontation. If your new dog wants a confrontation, do not press the issue. Re direct him with a command he does well, like sit or some such deal. then, when he complies praise him for being a good dog.

Then revisit the issue at hand.

Dogs never forget, don't you reinforce bad behavior. BTW, when he comes up to you, and nudges your arm for you to pet him, do not do it! Redirect. Tell him to sit, then praise him, then pet him.

You won that round, you told him you are the boss and you pet him on your terms.

Little interactions like this are where your dog starts down the bravado path. If you pet him without a re direct, he won. He told you to pethim and you did. Once you get that ball rolling, it is hard to stop.

It is even more so with a dog that has some wolf in him. Also, a good neuter job goes a long way! Do it young if you have no intent to stud him out.

Have fun with the new dog.:nod: :D :nod:

Last edited: Jul 28, 2002
  6. Chris

Well he is not neutered and he is 4 years old!!

My thoughts of maybe studding him with a 100% German Shepard, I just think that will make a really awesome dog.

Thanks Sniper and Alan!

7. Politically correct.

Just remember you are a pet guardian and not a pet owner. Don't want to give your dog a bad complex.:D :D

8. Oxford

Oxford G&G Evangelist

Sniper[M1] has summed it up best with his dog handling tips. What he wrote is exactly what I've heard, too.

Bottom line...don't reinforce bad behavior and redirect each of the dog's moves so that you're in charge. You've got to stay in control at all times.

Oxford

9. Doglips

Doglips G&G Newbie

My dogs are vary passive towards the family members..even the rotie...however when we play I let them play bite my arm...especialy if I act like Im hiting the wife or kids...the rotie likes biteing my butt...guess its a dog pound thing.....but they seem to know when play time is over and calm down pretty quickly..espicaly if they get their tummies scratched.
    I still cant get the lab/mix to play fetch...

10. 7mmag6

7mmag6 G&G Newbie

you have to be careful of part wolf dogs, not that they will bite you, but can become extremely inquisitive, a friend of mine raises part wolf and part coyote dogs, i/8 wolf may not sound like much, but they can become bored very easily, that squeeck in your sofa may drive them crazy, and one day you will return to a sofa torn completly apart as they look for the noise, also you must remain dominant alpha male, they look for any signs of weakness, eat before they do, you dont have to be mean, but i suggest you find a good source of part wolf dog behavior, books, internet links, or im sure there are some good organizations to give you advice

11. 7mmag6

7mmag6 G&G Newbie

oh i forget part wolf dogs make terrible guard dogs, its not part of thier normal behavior, they may choose to slink off and hide behind the couch when an intuder arrives, survival is part of wild behavior

12. wes

wes G&G Newbie

I had a wolf/dog for fourteen years,she was a sweetheart, they don't make good guard dogs,unless cornered,but most people won't get too close. You really need to bond with a wolf,you do need to be the alpha male,things like eating before they do,going through the door first,and starting a group "howl". Mine was kind of her own dog,she decided my spare bedroom was her room.

13. Klaus

Klaus G&G Newbie

I am not an animal expert, but I have no trouble getting along with most critters. I use a method that is quite different from what most books recommend. I guess my way requires a certain personality. When I meet a new cat or dog I look them in the eye, staring them down if necessary, to establish dominance. Then, once they show submission, I act friendly. I think this won't work if you are afraid. I usually am not afraid because I know I could kill dogs with my bare hands (and feet). Most people just don't consider how much bigger and stronger they are than dogs. At the very least, if the subject does not become friendly, it will take you seriously and keep it's distance from you.

14. Chris

For sure on the dominance...I have not been in the cage with him as I believe it too soon! But I looked him right in the eye and was as calm as can be, when I say guard dog, I mean kinda walks around barks, as their bark is enough to make my heart rate jump 5x normal speed, but he got really close to the gate wanted to be rubbed, so before I posted here I did just that, to see what kind of tolerance and such, but I will keep what everyone said in mind, and I am going to search the internet right now!! Thanks all.

15. 7mmag6

7mmag6 G&G Newbie

chris, apart wolf dog may never be house trained, the previous owners may not know, if the dog is part wolf(maybe) look for wolf features like straight hind legs i bet dollars to doughnuts the dog does not have any wolf in it, just giving you advice, huskies are naturaly aggressive towards other dogs, but submissive to the owner

16. Chris

The dog's lower body, is slender showing signs of wolf, and he gets along fine with other huskies. He is not house trained, nor will he be with me.