close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

A public school in Byron, Calif. is being sued after forcing Christian students to pr

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Doglips, Jun 28, 2002.

1. Doglips

Doglips G&G Newbie

The more I read about the weird stuff comeing from our West coast state...the more I wounder if we can sell it back to Mexico... This torqs me off...IF my kids were told to act "Mulsem" for 5 min Id be down at the school....and not useing nice words.

Christian Parents Sue After Students 'Become Muslims'
    By Susan Jones
    CNSNews.com Morning Editor
    June 27, 2002

(CNSNews.com) - A public school in Byron, Calif. is being sued after forcing Christian students to pretend they were Muslims for three weeks.

As part of an Islam simulation" project, students prayed in the name of Allah, chose a Muslim name, and played a "jihad" dice game, according to the group that filed the lawsuit. The Michigan-based Thomas More Law Center is representing parents and children in the lawsuit against the Byron Unified School District.

"What's at issue is the true meaning of the Establishment Clause," said Richard Thompson, the law center's chief counsel.

While it's perfectly legal for schools to teach courses in comparative religion, in this case, Thompson said the school district "crossed the line...by using taxpayer dollars to teach students how to worship as a Muslim."

The 7th grade students "became Muslims" as part of their world history class, much to the surprise of parents, who said they were caught off guard.

According to the lawsuit, students were encouraged to dress as Muslims and to use such phrases in their speech as 'Allah Akbar,' which is Arabic for 'God is great.' Students were required to memorize Muslim prayers, fulfill the Five Pillars of Faith and fast during lunch period to simulate fasting during the Islamic holy month of Ramadan.

"Public schools would never tolerate teaching Christianity in this way," said Thompson.

"Just imagine the ACLU's outcry if students were told that they had to pray the Lords Prayer, memorize the Ten Commandments, use such phrases as 'Jesus is the Messiah,' and fast during Lent."
    :rolleyes:

2. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

This somehow doesn't surprise me. It seems to be cool to be anything but a patriotic, flag waving moral christian who believes in GOD! I'm really starting to hate those west coast states...which by the way if your looking at a map of America they are on the LEFT, strange...

3. The far far left.

4. Oxford

Oxford G&G Evangelist

Islamic beliefs may be taught in schools using our tax money.

Just think about this...with this week's supreme court ruling relating to voucher schools...Islamic schools (or any other special interest group) may soon be funded by our tax money. I'm definitely against that.

Separation of church and school is definitely needed. Without this rule there's no limit on how far or what religious subject may be taught, including islamic beliefs.

Oxford

5. Klaus

Klaus G&G Newbie

There is nothing wrong with parents sending their children to Islamic or Buddhist schools if the vouchers can be used for Christian or Jewish schools. If the schools meet the state curricula and do not violate any laws like conspiring to commit crimes, they should be treated equally. Personally, I have a problem with the whole Department of Education, which seems to be blatantly unconstitutional.

6. Stopper

Stopper G&G Newbie

Unconstitutional and an oxy-moron (kinda). Education as alot of other issues is best left to the people not the gummit!!

7. Oxford

Oxford G&G Evangelist

Vouchers should be outlawed!

No personal offense is intended here but I can't ignore some of these comments.

Isn't "education" is made up of people. What curricula? Direct me to where I can see their curricula. State public education is only possible because of the constitution. Do you actually believe legislators would support schools unless they were encouraged to by the people who voted them into office? Come on...I'm beginning to believe that no school would be acceptable to some people.

Also, I'm beginning to wonder what educational experiences occured with some individuals which caused that kind of thinking. Obviously, mine seemed to be in another world than what I'm reading about from some posters.

Oxford

8. Jesse

Jesse G&G Newbie Forum Contributor

I'm all for vouchers. You've got to remember, it's not the government's money, it's yours. I think I can determine the best for my kid's education. Vouchers have become popular due to restrictive, (politically motivated), school zoning, which locks kids and families into schools that are depressed and crime ridden. That money (for your child) represents what the government owes you for your tax dollars. The whole fight is over the school districts losing money by students leaving and going to charter and private schools with federal money (vouchers). It causes a spotlight to be cast on those districts that are not doing a good job, creating competition, (as Chris stated earlier). I'm all for it. It is hard for me to believe that they are now allowed since the government loves to deny you control over your money once they have it!

Jesse

9. Klaus

Klaus G&G Newbie

Oxford, each state has a department of education that establishes the required curricula for the schools, public and private. Stopper was clearly referring to the federal Department of Education, which is NOT in the Constitution. As for your statement "State public education is only possible because of the constitution", that seems to be pure nonsense. I have no Idea where you got that idea from.

10. Oxford

Oxford G&G Evangelist

Some students succeed in spite of the obstacles they face.

It's definitely correct that the state funds are not legislators money. And I'm sure we all attempt to vote into office people who represent our ways of thinking based upon our beliefs.

I'm beginning to believe that my positive experiences with eduation were extremely different than many of the posters who seem to find nothing right with public education. I can understand that if a person, or his kids, etc., had terrible school experiences that they would have plenty of reason to look for changes. That is logical. Guess we need to understand each other's viewpoints.

I've talked with friends and relatives who live in other parts of the country (other than the midwest) who have sent their kids to private schools because they didn't have confidence in their public schools. And I've seen several charter schools started and fail in my metropolitan area.

These schools were terrible public schools before they became charter schools and they still failed miserably under the new system. And I'm sure there are plenty of charter and private type schools which do an excellent job, too. But why do so many charter schools fail? Probably for many reasons they don't educate students to an acceptable level. Many times it's the parents who don't support their kids in the right way. Griping, avoiding school contact, voting down school improvements which cost money, etc. all take their eventual toll.

As a result some students succeed in spite of the obstacles some parents place before them. However, the majority merely have bad school experiences and pass on their learned experiencs to the next generation. It becomes a viscous cycle. These schools definitely should be closed and a different approach to educating their kids should be taken.

Guess the bottom line for me is that I understand where some posters are coming from. My experiences have been positive resulting in a positive attitude toward public education. I'm not naive about the fact that all schools aren't acceptable. I just want to preserve what I consider a right for a public education for the masses.

Otherwise, too many students would be excluded from their opportunities to better themselves. Our country already has too great a gap between the have's and have not's. Someone needs to go to bat for those students who don't have financial means to go to private schools. I'll take my stand with them.

Oxford:nod:

Last edited: Jun 29, 2002