Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dugaboy:I start by trying to explain what brings this question on for me.I once saw an ad/tape of a man that walked to within a few feet of an elephant that had well over 60lbs of ivory on each side and weighed 5 to 6 ton and calmly shot the packy right between the eyes with a paintgun and caused a bright red splotch to appear on it's head.The elephant shook it's head,turned to the left and walked off.I have never been blessed with the opertunity to test my nerve on elephants or rhinos but realise that (from experience)a domestic cow weighing half a ton or less can cause more fear to rise in me than a false charge by a bison/buffalo weighing twice as much.Or a poodle dog can cause me to cringe from fear that he might nip my ankle when the sight of a griz/brown causes little alarm when he shows up where I am fishing.(in Canada I am not even armed)Anyway,I have felt these emotions when in contact with NA animals,both domestic and wild.I can't explain it but the basic reason I am there is to not only collect a trophy,but to test my ability to feel emotions and have thoughts and yet function and place a clean shot where it will count.So far I always was able to function appropriately.(even tho I didn't know what I would do.)The two scenarios I have often wondered about were going into the bush after a cape buffalo/or asian buffalo when I knew I was not going to have much time to place a shot where it would stop him and how it would feel to walk within a few feet of 5/6ton of elephant and place a shot to stop him.There are many challenges to bravery in the hunting field but these two are the ones I have often wondered if I would be up to the requirements,mainly due to the fact that I could,if I desired,be anywhere else on earth and possibly this will be the last bad decision I will make.Can you describe what goes through your mind,what you are thinking/planning at this time.Are you fearless?Is everything connected and you are thinking clear?If you attempt to answer this don't be afraid you might sound like a bragart.Just give your view on how it feels.I know you are a brave hunter or you wouldn't accept the challenge of the hunt which I have felt some but by no means all of the emotions.And by the way,why are we braver banging on a pan with something than we are while holding our favorite hunting rifle? Thanks for listening to an old man ramble.(I hope others join in and tell of their feelings,I chose to address Dugaboy because of his African experiences which I have none of) (these feelings are the basic reason for me being there.) ,,,sam.

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
wow. that is the best question I've seen on the forum. As one who also will likely never go to Africa (to hunt anyway) I look forward to the knowledgeable replys. Thanks for asking an A++ question Sam.

·
Freedom Zealot
33,733 Posts
Sam, like you I have never hunted Africa. But I've trusted my rifle to protect my life when I have encountered Bears, and a Mt Lion. The most afraid I have ever been was in the Army. The second was calling in a HUGE Bull Moose who came crashing through the alders with only sex on his mind, ROFL !! It took two shots from my S&W M29 to anchor him, and when I realized he was dead I started shaking like a leaf. Probably from the adrenalin dump. Speaking of dumps...
I feel that you are never more alive than when your heart is pounding, the adrenalin is coursing through your body, and all your senses are on high alert !! I think THAT is the reason we do what we do.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I feel as though I'm a child seated in a large circle listening to a story beeing told by by the tribe leader. I have no reply relative to the topic so I look side to side to see just who will be the next to speak. Wow, sam, what a question! (the only thing that comes close to the adrenalin rush woiuld be when I was attacked by a pit bull/lab mix in my back yard a couple of years ago. reaction preceded the trembles but this doesn't compare)

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Hmm. That is a great question Sam. I am only 21 and have never had a chance to experience any dangerous game in my hunting...yet. Hopefully I will someday. Hopefully this forum (and thread) will still be here for me to reply when that happens.

I will say the most nerves I have ever felt was when I shot my first deer. I was 14 and shot a small(ish) 8 point buck. It was the first time I had ever even been deer hunting. I'll be honest I really didn't know all that well what I was doing. I knew where the vitals were and what I wanted to shoot that was about it. My dad was a ridge over with my little brother and my older brother was across the ravine from me a couple hundred yards off. I had the little buck walk by my blind about 30 yards. My first shot from my mossberg 500 20 gauge hit it a little bit far back, then it took off. I shot again, and had a much better hit, a little high though and spined it. At this point I didn't know what ot do as it was still trying to drag itself away and I wasn't about to let this deer get away, so i put one in its neck. By now it was about 50 yards off. After that shot I ran up to it and just watched it for a second. It stared back and I didn't wanna see that so i reloaded and put a killshot on it. Yes I shot it 4 times. I was nervous, I was scared, I was excited. I just reacted to the situation. Looking back now i know that deer wasn't going far even after the first shot, but I didn't want it going anywhere at all. Anyway, live and learn. I had so much adrenaline flowing I thought I was going to fall over shaking. And that was just a whitetail. I can't hope to guess how I will react if I ever hunt something dangerous.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Well my only experience hunting dangerous game is with wild boar. If you search my posts, when introduced myself, I told a little about my background when I first came on here a month or 2 back and posted pics of some big boars killed with just dogs and a knife. I can tell you a few things from my experiences.

I've never felt more alive then times when I was in the woods, hear the dogs fighting what sounds like a monster. There you are, running in, in the dark, to take it on, not knowing exactly how big it is, or how tough, of whether it is under control or loose. It is an addictive and intoxicating mix of fear and anticipation at the same time. Adrenaline.

I could definitely NOT say I have never been scared. The thing is, once you have committed to doing something, you just do it, scared or not. There is no more time to think about being scared at the time, you just do what you have to do, because if you don't you are going to get hurt, or someone around you is. Which is your motivation. Then you are scared later, when you think about how close you came to getting seriously messed up.

I have had to step in front of a client when a big boar that we have been chasing with dogs is busting brush, coming at us through stuff so thick I can't see 5 feet. I remember thinking, "This is gonna hurt.", but I had my my knife ready, and when he popped his head out, I was gonna give him hell. Was i afraid? Hell yea. Down inside. But I was already committed to do what had to be done. I guess that is my answer. When you are afraid, you do what you have already committed to do. You bury your fear and do it.

BTW, in case you are wondering, the boar pulled up a few feet in front of me, a little suprised at running into us head on in the brush, huffing and puffing from the chase, then he heard the dogs coming then made a beeline straight off to my left, much to my relief.

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
^ I have had some close encounters in my time and usually did ok,but there is no way I am going out chasing hogs with dogs after dark and try to kill them with a knife.I'll leave that one to you and Tarsan.I'll bet you are the only one in the whole state of Texas that does that.How do you get "clients" crazy enough to pay you to take them on a deathwish hunt like that? How did you and the client get in front of a hog your dogs were chasing?Did I ever tell you about the time I picked up a squirrel I thought was dead and he bit my finger?Man,I got all excited and let go of him real fast! (I hope you believe me because it really happened) ,,,sam.

·
Registered
10,891 Posts
Bravery is spear-hunting dangerous game on foot.

Sanity is climbing up a tree over the game trail and spearing them from above where they can't get to you ;)

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
It's really uncomfortable to try to run with a pant load. :)
Better to stand and keep shooting.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
^ I have had some close encounters in my time and usually did ok,but there is no way I am going out chasing hogs with dogs after dark and try to kill them with a knife.I'll leave that one to you and Tarsan.I'll bet you are the only one in the whole state of Texas that does that.How do you get "clients" crazy enough to pay you to take them on a deathwish hunt like that? How did you and the client get in front of a hog your dogs were chasing?Did I ever tell you about the time I picked up a squirrel I thought was dead and he bit my finger?Man,I got all excited and let go of him real fast! (I hope you believe me because it really happened) ,,,sam.
I got one for u sam. I shot a squirel out of a tree. Made a poor shot. The squirel jumped out and hit the groud 80 ft. or so below him. Ran into a small hollow tree next to me. I hunted for a green briar to twist him out with, to no avail. So I did the only thing I could do. Grabbed him by the tail and drug him out. Slung him up on the bank, and unloaded the 20 guage 870 remington on him. finaly hit him with the last shot. lol!

Trick is let go of them before they get ahold of u! ;)

·
Super Moderator
11,533 Posts
Sam - What they didn't tell you was that the paintball guys name from his previous life was Uonmajajeekimah. That translate to english as "Elephant Toe Jam".

Tom

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi Guys.
The story of this MORON shooting an elephant with a paint gun just about drives me mad with anger.
Let me explain. Back in the 1960s I was a young lad out in Botswana with two of my uncles and a bushman tracker. My uncle sneeked up to a sleeping bull elephant and put a stamp on his rump. I then noticed the look of absalute disgust on the Bushmans face. I asked what the problem was. He replied, when the elephant wakes he will smell the stamp. We know we are playing, does the elephant ? does the next man who walks past and must pay for this insult? Then who will explain to the elephant why he must be shot??
Stupid is as stupid does. What this guy with the paint gun has done is not brave it is stupid and has a good chance of getting someone and the elephant killed.
There is a whole world between stupidity and bravery.
Be Safe
Russel

·
Registered
253 Posts
Believe it or not, hunting with dogs is a pretty strong southern tradition. It is done by thousands of hunters all over the south, most of the guy back east don't even use a knife. They "catch and tie." Of course our style of hunting down here in Texas is a little different, given the spanish influence on our traditions down here. What we do is called "Monteria", and we finish the boar with a knife. Let me tell you, if it is done right, it is INSTANTANEOUS. Far faster than an arrow and faster than all but the best aimed heavy caliber gun kills.

To answer your question about how we got in front of the boar that night many years ago. The "find" dogs had him stopped about 400 yards away, we turned the "catch" dogs loose. The boar heard the catch dogs coming and broke "bay". He circled around and came right back down on his own back trail, putting him head on at me me and my client. I (back then ) sometimes carried a.44 Ruger Super Blackhawk with a 4 5/8" barrel, but sometimes like on this exceptionally hot night I would go light and just take a knife. Never again, after that close call. If I have clients to protect, I carry the ruger. If I am hunting my for fun, I keep a lever action .357 in the truck in case the SHTF with the dogs.

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Believe it or not, hunting with dogs is a pretty strong southern tradition. It is done by thousands of hunters all over the south, most of the guy back east don't even use a knife. They "catch and tie." Of course our style of hunting down here in Texas is a little different, given the spanish influence on our traditions down here. What we do is called "Monteria", and we finish the boar with a knife. Let me tell you, if it is done right, it is INSTANTANEOUS. Far faster than an arrow and faster than all but the best aimed heavy caliber gun kills.

To answer your question about how we got in front of the boar that night many years ago. The "find" dogs had him stopped about 400 yards away, we turned the "catch" dogs loose. The boar heard the catch dogs coming and broke "bay". He circled around and came right back down on his own back trail, putting him head on at me me and my client. I (back then ) sometimes carried a.44 Ruger Super Blackhawk with a 4 5/8" barrel, but sometimes like on this exceptionally hot night I would go light and just take a knife. Never again, after that close call. If I have clients to protect, I carry the ruger. If I am hunting my for fun, I keep a lever action .357 in the truck in case the SHTF with the dogs.
I have chased hogs all over the south and west with dogs,sometimes using catch dogs and sometimes I/we were the catch dog.(Always wound up doing the catching anyway.I guess I didn't read close enough.I didn't realise that was what you were doing.I thought you were just out in the bush chasing wild hogs around with a butcher knife trying to get some canadian bacon for breakfast with no dogs.I never used a knife except after they were shot but did hunt with hog hunters that didn't carry a firearm and didn't allow me to.While the dogs hold/occupy them it is fairly easy to get a leg and upset them.Surprisingly,little ones are sometimes harder to handle than some large ones.I understand what you were doing now and apoligise for getting the wrong impression.When hunting in this way the only time one was killed was if the dogs had opened them up and guts were coming out. It used to be a he*l of a lot of fun. ,,,sam.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I have chased hogs all over the south and west with dogs,sometimes using catch dogs and sometimes I/we were the catch dog.(Always wound up doing the catching anyway.I guess I didn't read close enough.I didn't realise that was what you were doing.I thought you were just out in the bush chasing wild hogs around with a butcher knife trying to get some canadian bacon for breakfast with no dogs.I never used a knife except after they were shot but did hunt with hog hunters that didn't carry a firearm and didn't allow me to.While the dogs hold/occupy them it is fairly easy to get a leg and upset them.Surprisingly,little ones are sometimes harder to handle than some large ones.I understand what you were doing now and apoligise for getting the wrong impression.When hunting in this way the only time one was killed was if the dogs had opened them up and guts were coming out. It used to be a he*l of a lot of fun. ,,,sam.
Cool, over the years I have hunted in pretty much every state from Florida to Texas. Lots of different styles. Here in Texas we have an estimated 3 million hogs and people have been hunting them with dogs for generations. They have gotten pretty dog smart. Landowners want us to kill the hogs, you can get bad reputation for taking them alive...cause they think you are going to turn them loose somewhere else. I use and breed a special breed of dog for hunting that was created for hunting wild boar, that comes from Argentina. Not to toot my own horn too much, but I have had people come down to hunt with me from all over the world and been interviewed by quite a few hunting magazines over the years. Also had National Geographic come down and do a hunt with me to talk about dog breeding. Here is a link to a clip of the Nat.Geo vid if anyone is a curious: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zHkg5Aakqg"]YouTube- Dogo Argentino National Geographic[/ame]

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi Guys.
The story of this MORON shooting an elephant with a paint gun just about drives me mad with anger.
Let me explain. Back in the 1960s I was a young lad out in Botswana with two of my uncles and a bushman tracker. My uncle sneeked up to a sleeping bull elephant and put a stamp on his rump. I then noticed the look of absalute disgust on the Bushmans face. I asked what the problem was. He replied, when the elephant wakes he will smell the stamp. We know we are playing, does the elephant ? does the next man who walks past and must pay for this insult? Then who will explain to the elephant why he must be shot??
Stupid is as stupid does. What this guy with the paint gun has done is not brave it is stupid and has a good chance of getting someone and the elephant killed.
There is a whole world between stupidity and bravery.
Be Safe
Russel
To each his own.It probably isn't near as cruel,inhuman,etc,etc to "CULL" a herd of elephant and shoot all of them right down to the smallest calf to make room to grow crops and graze for man and his cattle as they do in many African countries,(I am quite sure I saw them doing it on tv in botswana) When I watched the method of shooting elephants with auto load weapons in what looked like .308/7.62x51cal and man did they pour the bullets into them.I consider "CULLING" cruel to the extreme and cowardly to the limit,but then I am not a brave african hunter that knows that a man with a paintball gun is is a moron while culling a whole herd and slaughtering them allwith multiple shots sprayed all over them is real humane bravery and intelligence.Glad you set me straight.Thats also the reasoning English subjects use when qualifying that it is much more inhumane to shoot a ground squirrel with a .44mag than it is with a 12ga.shotgun. Good reasoning. ,,,sam.

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well,I never got an answer to my question of what it felt like to walk up on an elephant or pursue a WB in the bush. One reason I can think of for not answering is someone felt it was beneath his dignity.The other would be if he had actually never been in a situation similar to those. I hope neither is the case. ,,,sam.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Well,I never got an answer to my question of what it felt like to walk up on an elephant or pursue a WB in the bush. One reason I can think of for not answering is someone felt it was beneath his dignity.The other would be if he had actually never been in a situation similar to those. I hope neither is the case. ,,,sam.

From what I know of Dugaboy he gladly would have answered your question. I'm certain he just didn't see this thread. Maybe you should message him to draw his attention to this?

·
Registered
554 Posts
I took the liberty of PM'ing Dugaboy. I'm sure he'll post his thoughts here once he sees it.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts