A Real Carbine Find

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by BOB487, Mar 20, 2002.

1. BOB487

BOB487 G&G Newbie

CT
    I know that real carbines are scarce as hell. Last summer bought a clean 1900 cartouched carbine stock for 3 bucks at flea mkt No signs of ever being messed with and not a hint that it was ever anything but a carbine I am in the process of reassemling it as it should be Could use a handguard if any ones got one . This model never had saddle ring so I will do it like it should be ... But I do like those saddle rings!!!

2. If its a carbine stock with a 1900 cartouche, it's got to be for an Model 1899 carbine. What are you using for an action in it? The earlier saddle ring carbines are kind of neat, but ultimately harder to find parts for and more expensive than the '99.

Good luck finding an original handguard and remember that the type of handguard used is dependent on the model of rear sight. I've been looking for an "original" humped handguard for a '99 carbine with a 1901 rear sight for several years with no luck yet. I've heard that S & S Firearms is again offering reproduction handguards for Krags, and also that Boyd's makes a handguard, but you'll have to cut it for the rear sight and install the spring clips if you buy one from Boyds.

Regards,
    Hal Beatty

3. BOB487

BOB487 G&G Newbie

CT
    I have a 1901-02 action off a sporterized rifle 350XXX range I date it as it has the late model rear sight I also am waiting on a genuine cabine barrel so I have to see for what sight it was drilled. I have the handguard off the sporterized one but wood a good deal darker than my sock I spoke with S&S and they are NOT happy with ANY of their handguards and it will be 4-6 months to get satisfactory ones made

4. A "genuine" carbine barrel? Off a real carbine or one of the GPC repro's? Do tell! Either way, all of the Krag sights used a common hole pattern, so with the use of the correct screws and handguard are interchangeable.

Too bad about the new S&S handguards, the ones they used to sell were really nice, other than being way too red to be look right.
    Regards,
    Hal Beatty

5. BOB487

BOB487 G&G Newbie

CT
    HAL
    its on the way to me It is not a cut down rework Has orig front site intact except for the blade. I am concerned about getting the cut down barrel out of the action. risk ok cracking the hardedned action??? Any tips ??
    bob

6. I'd be more afraid of bending or twisting the receiver. I know that from experience as I tried to Mickey Mouse the barrel out of one of my junkers just to see if I could do it. I could! (bend the receiver that is)
    I ended up buying a barrel vise from Brownells and making an action wrench to fit the front end of the receiver. Have swapped barrels around in several Krags without a problem that way. With the right tools, its not hard, and all of them have lined up on the witness marks and headspaced OK. If you don't want to buy or make the tools, I'd take it to a gunsmith that's set up to do the job.

Regards,
    Hal Beatty

7. carbineer

carbineer G&G Newbie

Hi Bob,
    I hope this isin't a violation of forum rules but I have a M'99 carbine action that I might sell you for your project. I've been saving it for my own shooter project to protect my good carbines, but have been side tracked latley with other things.

8. BOB487

BOB487 G&G Newbie

CT
    Carbineer
    I think that this should be done off the forum can email me at bob487thbg@aol.com thanks