close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

A Really Dumb (but serious) Question.

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Cranky-Kraut, Apr 2, 2002.

1. Ok, I know this is a stupid thing to ask but here goes. I have a great, unused, East German NVA Brown leather holster for my EG Makarov but can find no solution to the eternal problem....

Can anything be done with a leather holster to treat or seal it so that you can store a gun in it without leading to corrosion & rust?

2. Klaus

Klaus G&G Newbie

I would try Silicone boot oil, in large quantities.

3. Calvin

Calvin G&G Newbie

Klaus is right on that. I also use mink oil on mine. I usually don't store my pistols in holsters or cases, though. I use the socks, as they are treated with silicone. HTH

4. Dennis

Dennis G&G Evangelist

Texas
    Cranky I have Never been able to store any firearm in a leather holster for an extended period of time. The natural cemicals in the leather AND the cemicals that where used to Tan the leather, eventually get to the steel of your gun and cause problems.
    I havent found a way around it. You may postpone corrosion from leather with treatments but that is allways for a finite period of time. Eventually they will allways rust up on ya.
    Now if you are like me my guns never stay in one place long enough. I am allays getting them out and shooting or cleaning them ot something.
    I saw whatwas left of a 1911a1 .45 automatic that had been left in a leather holster for 27years it wasnt pretty.

5. Calvin

Calvin G&G Newbie

Yeah, I have seen what long-term storage in a holster does to a pistol, too. That's why I use the socks. My Dad had an old Smith and Wesson that he left in the holster for 30 years. It was pitiful. The rust was everywhere, even inside the action. He eventually broke down and had it refinished. Looks great, but it's not original now.....

6. Jesse

Jesse G&G Newbie Forum Contributor

Those silicone gun socks are great! I use them on my Maks for storage.