close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

A sweet lil' Stevens Savage 87A .22 / .22L / .22LR

Discussion in 'Savage' started by gsbuickman, May 18, 2017.

1. gsbuickman

gsbuickman G&G Evangelist

Hiya Guys,

So I've been looking to replace the Savage Stevens model 6A that I wound up selling a few years ago, because I've been kicking myself in the proverbial butt ever since. Well, I dropped a listing on our local gun Grapevine yesterday looking for a nice old 22 rifle that shoots 22 shorts, 22 long and 22 LR in a nice wood stock, just to see what would turn up. Sure enough about an hour later a guy hit me up with this little model 87a, after talking with him about it I jumped all over it. It's an old gilgun and identical to my old 6A in every way. My 6A was from Savage in Utica New York Circa 46'. The 87A is from Savage Arms Chicopee, mass . Circa 46'-56' just after they moved to Chicopee. Not only does this have the distinctive gill slits on either side of the receiver, it also has the bolt delay trigger. After you fire a round as long as you keep the trigger pulled back the bolt will stay back as well. As soon as you reset the trigger the bolt closes as well.

He also recently had this into Buckhorn Gun and Pawn where they serviced it, replaced the extractor and the springs. The barrel is tight and clean and the rifling is sharp so this thing is practically as good as new. Even though the pictures don't show it due to the lighting he refinished the stock and put several coats of urethane on it, it looks pretty nice. Now I just need to find a scope mount for it and a little 3x9x40 to finish it off. In anticipation of picking this up today I also bought 1580 rounds for it last night for $100. That'll give me a pretty good start with this old gem.

20170518_173729.jpg 20170518_173607.jpg
    20170518_173424.jpg

Last edited: May 18, 2017
    PAPA G, mauser9, jwrauch and 3 others like this.
  2. gsbuickman

Picked up 1,580 shells for $100 to get things started. Not a bad deal I guess considering 500 round bricks are selling for $35 at Sportsman's. It's hard to believe that 22LR is selling for 66¢ per round 5027996.jpg

jwrauch, minkowski1552 and neophyte like this.

3. neophyte

neophyte Wonderment :) Forum Contributor

gsbuickman: Sir, very nice :) do follow up with your experiences:)
    $35 500rds ='s $00.07
    Your decimal point didn't show:)

Your $00.06 is :):) 1,580 :)

PAPA G, jwrauch and gsbuickman like this.
  4. minkowski1552

minkowski1552 G&G Evangelist

I think you will like that gun. I have an 87t with a tenite stock. It is a very accurate shooter with the iron sights.

gsbuickman and PAPA G like this.
  5. Tall22shooter

Tall22shooter G&G Newbie

I have the 85A version of your 87 and it is a very accurate rifle. I got mine from my father in law and I have enjoyed years of knocking the heck out of things with it. Contact havlinsales.com about getting a mount for your scope. I have been told the barrel might have been made by Mossberg. Enjoy your Stevens, I sure enjoy mine.

gsbuickman and minkowski1552 like this.
  6. mauser9

mauser9 G&G Evangelist

Very nice. One quick look and one can see the quality of days gone by manufacturing. An old shooter is on my bucket list too. Good ole walnut!!

gsbuickman, neophyte, PAPA G and 2 others like this.
  7. minkowski1552

I was over at my ex's out on the farm last night and when I left there were three rabbits on lawn, good size ones too. She said they were eating her beans in her garden and were on the lawn every evening. So I will be putting the 87t to work Saturday evening. Too bad it's not winter.

gsbuickman and neophyte like this.
  8. MikeWA

MikeWA G&G Evangelist

I have 3 of the 87A, and a couple more of the closely related models. They are my favorite .22 plinker because of their ability to lock the bolt for low power rounds (Like the CCI CB22) and switch over to semi-auto for the standard and high velocity.
    I learned the hard way that running low power rounds in semi-auto leads to a near complete teardown to get it unjammed. It eats that case hard.
    I had to cut grooves in the receiver for a scope though...
    How are you attaching the scope?

gsbuickman and neophyte like this.
  9. Tall22shooter

Tall22shooter G&G Newbie

Havlinsales.com has an attachment you can get that makes putting a scope on these fairly easy

gsbuickman likes this.
  10. minkowski1552

I was out on the farm tonight with my 87t hunting bunnies. There was a nice big one out on the lawn. He's dead now. I will be out here again tomorrow night. That gun is one sweet shooter.

gsbuickman and Tall22shooter like this.
  11. minkowski1552

I was out tonight hunting bunnies again on the farm. Saw a second big one on the lawn. Now it's dead. This is too easy. I think I'll take a pistol out tomorrow.

gsbuickman likes this.
  12. gsbuickman

Thanks guys, much appreciated :) ...
    I'm certainly enjoying having this old girl in my collection, and I'm thankful that I was actually able to find another one in this good a condition since I was forced to sell my 6A during the O'zero ammo drought.
    Thanks for the source for a possible scope mount 22 shooter, much appreciated. I figured I would need to find the correct style of scope mount bases and have the receiver drilled for them to attach a rail to. Then again the 6A I had, had a pretty slick although somewhat unorthodox Optics rail on it. Rather than having the receiver tapped and threaded for a rail, my friend Rick decided to mount the rail with a little bit of JB Weld instead. Rick was a professional composite man so he knew exactly what he was doing and I'll tell you that **** thing was Rock Solid. It had a nice BSA 3_9x40 on it sighted in @ 120 yds and it was dead nuts accurate.