A Teacher Speaks

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Mad Hatter, May 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter Guest

by a Florida teacher......
    ....... A teacher speaks
    This is a subject close to my heart. Do you know that we have adult students at the school where I teach who are not US citizens and who get the PELL grant, which is a federal grant (no pay back required) plus other federal grants to go to school?
    One student from the Dominican Republic told me that she didn't want me to find a job for her after she finished my program, because she was getting housing from our housing department and she was getting a PELL grant which paid for her total tuition and books, plus money leftover.
    She was looking into WAIT which gives students a CREDIT CARD for gas to come to school, and into CARIBE which is a special program (check it out - I did) for immigrants and it pays for child care and all sorts of needs while they go to school or training. The one student I just mentioned told me she was not going to be a US Citizen because she plans to return to the Dominican Republic someday and that she 'loves HER country.'
    I asked her if she felt guilty taking what the US is giving her and then not even bothering to become a citizen and she told me that it doesn't bother her, because that is what the money is there for!
    I asked the CARIBE administration about their program and if you ARE a US Citizen, you don't qualify for their program. And all the while, I am working a full day, my son-in-law works more than 60 hours a week, and everyone in my family works and pays for our education.
    Something is wrong here. I am sorry but after hearing they want to sing the National Anthem in Spanish - enough is enough. Nowhere did they sing it in Italian, Polish, Irish (Celtic), German or any other language because of immigration. It was written by Francis Scott Key and should be sung word for word the way it was written. The news broadcasts even gave the translation -- not even close. Sorry if this offends anyone but this is MY COUNTRY.
    IF IT IS YOUR COUNTRY SPEAK UP -- please pass this along. I am not against immigration -- just come through like everyone else.

:feedback:

2. bigbuddy21

bigbuddy21 G&G Evangelist

you sir, are a patriot. i could not agree more.

3. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

New York
    I know people who would love to get a college education, and have found there is no scholarship, grant money, or student loan money available. And yet this foreign student, who is not even a resident alien working toward citizenship, is getting FREE FEDERAL MONEY to pay her tuition, plus money for communting, and federal money to take care of paying for daycare for her child or children? And she makes no bones about not wanting to become an American citizen?

What is wrong with this picture?

When we have American citizens in the United States who can't afford to pay for college or technical training, or whose folks make too much money to qualify them for grants and loans and federal programs intended to help people get an education, where does the federal government get off throwing free money at people like this Dominican woman? Since when are the rights of aliens, legal or otherwise, exalted over the rights of American citizens in the United States?

The criteria for these aid-the-aliens programs need to be overhauled right away. I can (just barely) agree with helping a resident alien who has put in his/her application for naturalization, who wants to be an American citizen. But not at the expense of the native-born, and certainly not in favor of someone who not only has no intention of becoming a citizen, but actively mocks us for the benefits she is receiving! This sort of nonsense has GOT to stop! Why don't we try taking care of our own first and then worry about taking care of the foreigners?

4. Seabeescotty

Seabeescotty G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Well, this will end up in an argument, but non-citizens getting grants paid for by taxpayers, needs to stop. We have enough of our own kids to take care of, without taking care of the rest of the world. They come here, and we pay for their education, and then they go home, and badmouth the USA. Crap, why don't we start training the enemy military, and get it over with. Somebody, somewhere in our government, is working overtime to finish this nation, without a shot being fired. Why, pray tell, do foreigners get free education, on us, while our children have to struggle for it? This is another example of America being undermined. We need educated young Americans, who will be able to take the helm, and yet our system is teaching people who not only don't like us, WE HAVE TO PAY FOR THEIR EDUCATION!!! When will it end???

5. Windwalker

Windwalker G&G Newbie

It would end if Congress would pass a law making U.S.citizenship one of the requirements for any individual to receive federal aid, grants, money, or any gratuity of any nature whatsoever.

Then it would be up to each State to pass a law making U.S. citizenship one of the requirements for any individual to receive State aid, grants, money, or any gratuity of any nature whatsoever.

Last edited: May 4, 2008
  6. Seabeescotty

Seabeescotty G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Won't hold my breath, I'd prob'ly suffocate.

7. KGunner

KGunner G&G Evangelist

Thats AWESOME considering I have to take out over $20K in student loans a year because I was turned down by FAFSA and any other grant-givers because I'm a white, middle-class male whose parents work for a living.

8. MAD HATTER. TRUST ME. THE WAY THIS MAKES YOU FEEL, IT MAKES ME AND JUST ABOUT EVERY SINGLE HARD WORKING CITIZEN OF THIS COUNTRY, ESPECIALLY THOSE BORN HERE, WHITE, BLACK AND ANY OTHER THAT HAVE BEEN BORN HERE, MIND YOU, I DO NOT INCLUDE THOSE BORN HERE BY SOMEONE WHO JUST HAD A KID HERE, BUT BORN HERE, FEELS THE EXACT SAME WAY!!!!!

THIS IS A TRUE BUNCH OF HORSE CRAP. TRUST ME, THIS PISSES ME OFF TO NO END!!!

9. Midas

Midas Chief Troll B' Gone Forum Contributor

Here's my 2 cents, if one wants to come to the United States, and be a productive member of society, as well as a CITIZEN, that is one thing. But to aid to people who come here illegally, and bitch about the country, that is beyond idiotic, and I simply will not stand for such out and out BS.

10. Big Tool

Big Tool G&G Newbie

MS

Same here. No grant money for whitey. Hell even a tax break would make me happy enough.

Unlike the foreign trash that is invading our country, I have to pay for my education and pay 30% of everything i make to Uncle sam.

11. I was feeling good until I read this. What a screwed up goverment we have.

Mad Hatter Would you please send a copy of what you just said to your Congress person in Washington PLEASE !
    And write an editoral about this conversation you had with this illegal and send it to your local news paper because the American public needs to know.

12. Coeloptera

Coeloptera G&G Newbie

*sigh*.

It's fake.

snopes.com: Pell Grants for Non-Citizens

Haven't you noticed yet that almost every single one of these "outrage" pieces is basically made up?

It's so full of errors it isn't even funny. Pell grants are for permanent US residents, and they're about 4300 bucks.

This is just racist, inflammatory crap probably first disseminated by people little better than Klan members. Wanna see a tipoff? They whine about people "learning the language", the CARIBE program is for exactly that.

The CARIBE program is there to teach refugees basic English and get them into the workforce and paying taxes as soon as possible. It's for refugees only. If we're being nice enough to accept them, this program helps them pay back our generosity.

None of this stuff is for illegals. Not one thing mentioned. Don't get sucked in, huh? This is sick, vicious, racist stuff designed to try turning us against all immigrants, even those working, getting educated, and pitching in like they're supposed to.

So, anyone wanna keep complaining about an outright lie?

- Coeloptera

13. Well I fell for it. Thanks for clearing it up for us, Coel

14. I guess I did also. LOL

15. Coeloptera

Coeloptera G&G Newbie

No problem, guys. I know very well there sure are people abusing the system and people in government enabling these abuses. Every time someone in a local government complains about a lawful crackdown and roundup of illegal aliens they're exacerbating the problem. Every time the government ignores employers paying sub-standard wages to illegals because they claim they need to or they couldn't stay in business, that's a **** valid concern.

But this stuff here. This is the stuff we actually want. It encourages legal immigration, permanent residency, learning English, getting an education, and getting a job. It's a force for integration into our society, and we all know we want that.

Midas, your view on it, I think, was exactly right. This stuff is for people who follow the rules and I think it's horribly unfair for them that others jump the line when they did it the right way and cause a backlash against immigration in general.

I know a fair number of people who are legal immigrants or the children of same and almost without exception, if they were willing to do the work and take the time to get in the right way, they're really contributing because they really appreciate what they worked for. Not to mention most of them seem to be doing better than average too, Good work ethic maybe?

- Coeloptera

16. Windwalker

Windwalker G&G Newbie

Thank you Celoptera, for this post. I was taken also and was about to send a letter to my Senator. I have a good rapport with him but a few foolish letters could harm this. So again, thank you.

17. CrazyIvan

CrazyIvan G&G Enthusiast

Imagine, the man at the door has more rights than you and your family inside, in your beds.

This is disgusting. Someone needs to be neutered!

18. SKS NOOB

SKS NOOB G&G Evangelist

"Live and learn. Die and forget it all." -My grandpa.

19. Gee...Mad Hatter posting racist garbage? Whoda thunk?:09:

20. CrazyIvan

CrazyIvan G&G Enthusiast

I didn't know "Illegal Immigrant" was a race....

How does not liking illegal immigrants translate into being racist?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.