Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Since 03-15- 2002
28,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally giving up the 'ole Norinco. It's served me well, nothing wrong with it just want some pride of ownership.

Stopped by the gun store last night. Looked at some Springfields and Kimbers.

Had some nice Springs SST for $539 stock 1911A1 with the better sights. Not crazy about the short trigger, I can fix that. arched mainspring hsg, been using it on the norinco, easy to replace too.

Looked at the Kimber customII $669. Nice gun. never looked at them close before. don't like the long recoil spring guide. should be able to replace with standard. I like the beavertail grip safety, albeit have never been bitten with the stock one. flat mainspring housing, I do like better as well as the long trigger. This gun has a firing pin block, yuck. I'll give it credit though, the trigger pull was not bad. Did they do something differently than a series 80 colt? Sights, not bad, no dots, kinda dark.

Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
3,620 Posts
I love Springfield, price ( even here ) and quality.. I couldnt even see a PICTURE of a Kimber for that price, Jerry, not here!.. Hard to argue with the range offered by Springfield, something for everyone, really..

·
Since 03-15- 2002
28,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks JR.
Well, for the first time in 14 years I'm 1911less. I feel so naked.

I traded my Norchinco 1911 (14 years old) and a Norchinco SKS + $300 for a Kimber CustomII out the door.

http://www.kimberamerica.com/pistols/custom/custom.php

Yeah, you always take a beating on trade ins. I don't feel I did badly. I bought the 1911 in '92 for $225.00 the SKS ran me $130 The Kimber was marked at $669.00 Figure I saved at least the 8% tax.

I still have an SKS (Yugo) one seems to be plenty. I kept the better quality of the two.

Tough decision between the Kimber and loaded springfield. The springfield was about $40 more and had an ambi saftey on it. Just didn't do anything for me.

I pick it up Monday or Tuesday. I'll post the pics for you meatheads.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Congratulations on the new pistol. I have two Kimbers and one Springfield. All are great weapons, and I would hate to choose between. Keep us in the loop when you get to fire it.
Indy

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
I spent $550 including tax on my 1911A1 Mil-Spec. If I had the extra cash I would have bought a Kimber, but I can't really complain because the Springfield has turned out to be the best handgun I ever owned. Either way you are getting an awsome gun.

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
I have never fired a Springfield but I do have a couple of 1911s...one being a Kimber, which I am capable of honest comments.

First, my Colt 70s Series 1911 is far more accurate that it's higher cost big cousin.

Yes, the action is smoother on the Kimber. It's true the workmanship is more refined. It has adjustable rear sights. It looks perty. It's also true for the price it should out perform (without needing fine tuning) other out of the box 1911s such as my Colt. But it can't.

Would I buy another Kimber?....only if it were competatively priced lower with the other big boys.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
I would have a hard time saying that Norinco is better than a true American 1911, such as a Springfield Operator or MAtch. For the 650 range I would get the target match in Stainless, a great gun.

[

[/IMG]

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
i have met people on the range that have said that they have had many problems with their springfields and colts, but i have never had any problems with my norinco. just their is some stovepiping with one of the mags that i use. i just use my other good ones though

·
Since 03-15- 2002
28,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I ran my Norinco for 14 years with zero issues and good accuracy, just time to upgrade.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Kimber is great

I think Kimber makes as a good a production 1911 as you can find, although they are a bit pricey. Anyone checked out the new Taurus PT1911? The Taurus is getting rave reviews and is considered a bargain for value contained.

·
Since 03-15- 2002
28,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Welcome John,

I seen a link on the Tauri. Nice looki'n gun. If I had the disposable income, I soppose I'd have several 1911's. Taurus has been pretty decent to the U.S. market. I wouldn't hesitate to support them.

The price on the basic Kimber isn't bad if a person is looking to do some customizations on a stock pistol. With a 1911, it's fun to do those yourself. The Kimber had all the options plus a couple of more. It was $160 over a stock Springfield. I would have put way more into add on's on the Spring.

I know guys, the stock gun is fine as is with good sights. I just wanted a couple of the refinements. Turned out to be a good value dollar wise too.

sks forever said:
I would have a hard time saying that Norinco is better than a true American 1911, such as a Springfield Operator or MAtch. For the 650 range I would get the target match in Stainless, a great gun.

[

[/IMG]
"Better" is very subjective. There are alot prettier 1911's with more refinement. I still believe the Nork had the best steel in any gun I have ever seen. With raw material issues, especially in China, I'm not sure if they are still made that way. My '92 Nork sure was though. My only complaint the whole time I had the gun was the barrel lugs seemed to want to round off pretty easily. 'course this was after 14,000 rounds. There was no subsiqusent wear in the slide grooves. And did not seem to affet accuray. For as good as I shot anyway.

·
Registered
11 Posts
jerry said:
Finally giving up the 'ole Norinco. It's served me well, nothing wrong with it just want some pride of ownership.

Stopped by the gun store last night. Looked at some Springfields and Kimbers.

Had some nice Springs SST for $539 stock 1911A1 with the better sights. Not crazy about the short trigger, I can fix that. arched mainspring hsg, been using it on the norinco, easy to replace too.

Looked at the Kimber customII $669. Nice gun. never looked at them close before. don't like the long recoil spring guide. should be able to replace with standard. I like the beavertail grip safety, albeit have never been bitten with the stock one. flat mainspring housing, I do like better as well as the long trigger. This gun has a firing pin block, yuck. I'll give it credit though, the trigger pull was not bad. Did they do something differently than a series 80 colt? Sights, not bad, no dots, kinda dark.

Any thoughts?
jERRY IT DEPENDS HOW DEEP IS YOUR POCKET

SPRINGFIELD XD 40 FOR THE MONEY RELIABILITY & REPUTATION. KIMBER IF YOUHAVE MONEY TO BURN

·
Since 03-15- 2002
28,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Really wasn't burning money. In the end I traded my Norinco 1911 (made money) and traded a norinco SKS (broke even) add $169 + Tax on the cash transaction. At a total of $669.00 I spent about $100 more than a Mil Spec Springfield. Which is a nice gun, my brother has one.

XD's are nice. I like 1911's, no I love 1911's.

Don't take this personally, but I have to tell you all. I have never taken this much flak on a gun buying decision. I was at the range and got treated like the !!!!!!! child gun snob becuase I bought this thing. The couple of forums have been mixed. One, you'd think I was ablazin idiot for geting rid of the 14 year old chinese 1911. Good riddance gun.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts