Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
In Iowa we have two shotgun seasons This weekend was the opening of 2nd season shotgun and we headed out pretty early. We were in the timber around 6:30 before daylight. As a group (4 in all) we each went to our planed spots. The original plan was to wait till 7:30 when 2 guys would drive the deer to my friend and I. What ended up happening is one of the pushers shot at a doe and the rest of the deer ran on the outside of the timber I was on the North side my buddy and the two pushers were able to get some shots off and I got nothing. When we re-grouped we found one blood trail and decided to not chase the deer and let if bed down for a little bit. After about 30 min of waiting we started to trial the doe and found a 2nd blood trail. Even though we didn't think any other deer were hit it seems that one of the guys got a good shot in when he thought he missed.

I followed the new trail. One guy followed the 1st trail and the other two guys flanked us and walked ahead incase they got up again. The deer end up running back into the far side of the timber. When I just get into the timber again I hear one of my buddies yell to shoot at a deer. He could see it but it was out of range. It had ran out from where the blood trail I had been following was taking me. I assumed it was the one I was trailing. I shot at I think I missed but another guy was able to pick him up. At about the same time they also found the 1st blood trailed deer and finished that one off. Thinking we had found both of the deer we were trailing everyone was happy and was ready to get to gutting the deer. I wanted to be sure that we got the deer I was trailing and so I continued to follow it and another guy tried to reverse track the trail to me but at about the same time we found that in fact the one I was trailing had laid down and was already dead.

So by 8:30 on opening day We had gotten three deer and by 9:30 they were gutted and dragged out and loaded in a pickup. I was pretty happy and since one of the guys didn't want any deer meat we ended the day wtih 3 of our 4 tags filled and had them at the butcher before noon. The guy that still has his tag might go next weekend (the last two days in the season). I don't plan on going and have to say this is the easies deer hunt I have ever been a part of.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Amazing. I haven't had your luck yet. I have been hunting deer two seasons on public land and have yet to even see a deer. I may quit deer hunting. Don't have the time to throw away like that. Kinda bums me out.

·
Registered
271 Posts
that was a fast hunt

I can beat that one though. I came home from work, the wife met me at the door and started in complaining about something. I grab my gun and gear and headed out into the wood lot behind my house, and was no more than three steeps away from my daughters swing set, when I saw the six does.
When I came back into the house, the wife admitted that she thought I shot myself or her, sinceI had shot so quickly. I told her not to worry about it, she would never know if I shot her, lol.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I only saw 3 deer this year and didn't have a shot at any of them.

However, I've been known to show up a little late on opening day (once or twice...or thrice :eek:) and "stand" on a drive in progress, score: 3, 5 & 7 point bucks. I've been forgiven for my "dog" impression afterwards: drivedrivedrivedrivedrive; did I say I drive for them? :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts