close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Aaaaaand the wait is over.

Discussion in 'Silencers' started by Ron Eagle Elk, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Ron Eagle Elk

Ron Eagle Elk G&G Evangelist

Back in November (the 20th) I submitted my paperwork and money for my AAC 762-SD Suppressor. Though it is configured for 7.62 (.308) center fire ammo, it will also quiet down my 5.56 ammo through my AR. All of my 7.62 and 5.56 rifles are set up with the AAC 51 Tooth ratchet attachment muzzle devices. The ATF cashed my check on February 1st. Projected times were 285 days from the time ATF cashed your check until the tax stamp and suppressor were available for pick up. I got a call yesterday that mine was in and could be picked up. My wife and I drove the hour to the gun shop and picked up that sweet little piece of goodness. It is a mite heavier than I expected, but not enough to affect the ability to carry the rifles for distance.

Working the range all this weekend, so the can will get a workout during slack times. Will report later.

2. animalspooker

animalspooker G&G Evangelist

SEMO
    So how many days after the check was cashed...215? And how quiet is it....like a mouse fart?

gsbuickman, jwrauch and Cyrano like this.

3. Ron Eagle Elk

Not quiet as a mouse fart, but quiet enough that I can shoot supersonic .308 without hearing protection. My POI is about 6 inches low at 300 yards so I imagine a velocity loss of some small amount. The big winner is felt recoil reduction. Shooting with the can, besides being quieter by far, the felt recoil is reduced by about half. Makes shooting very comfortable. Was it worth the investment of money and time? IMHO, yup, it sure was.

Heading back out in the AM with the can and a 5.56 gas gun. Same can fits all of our rifles. Want to see how quiet it makes a supersonic 5.56. There may be a .300 Blackout in my future...maybe an SBR or...a pistol, since a pistol can be shouldered on occasion.

4. blaster

blaster G&G Evangelist

congrats on the wait being over! if it wasn't for that dam wait I would have more cans!:mad: I think the P.O.A. shift has more to do with the weight on the barrel. suppressors actually increase muzzle velocity. I saw this first hand when working up sub sonic loads for my 300 BLK. while I was waiting for the ATF to do their thing before I could pick up my can, I developed a nice load that chronographed 950 -1000 fps. when my can arrived, the same load was super sonic! I had to reduce the powder charge to go sub sonic.

Ron Eagle Elk and Jaison like this.
  5. Artbrownsr

Artbrownsr G&G Regular

Alaska
    193 Days if my counting is right!:usa2:

Ron Eagle Elk likes this.
  6. Ron Eagle Elk

Never thought of the weight being a factor. I'll have to stick my magnetospeed on the end of the muzzle and see if I can get a speed reading.

Hopefully, the hearing protection act will pass, though I doubt it will. It would make buying a can much easier. Funny, that in England, where gun ownership is tightly controlled, you can walk into any gun shop and buy a can...or so I've been told.

blaster likes this.
  7. gsbuickman

gsbuickman G&G Evangelist

Congrats Ron, I'm glad you're putting your new toy through its paces and enjoying it :) . I'm not exactly a fan of cans myself and I don't believe in paying a $200 extortion fee for a tax code that shouldn't exist just to own one, otherwise I'd probably have a couple myself just to play with once in awhile. I suppose if they finally legalize them the market will be flooded and I'll end up picking 1or 2 up off Amazon, eBay or some other retailer Just for kicks, until then I'll wear my ears and enjoy my boomsticks the way they are :)

Ron Eagle Elk likes this.
  8. Ron Eagle Elk

The supersonic 5.56 really surprised me with how quiet it was. Shooting with a can isn't going to be an everyday adventure, but I need to know what affect it will have on my POA/POI for all weapons that it will fit.

My wife has put her foot down and said that I must wear my ears when shooting with or without the can. My hearing is already pretty bad. I guess I was around too many loud explosions and such, plus riding in military aircraft a lot.

If the hearing protection act passes I'll definitely be getting a couple more cans, especially for our pistols and maybe a dedicated 5.56 can for our AR-15s.

I am giving serious thought to a .300 Black Out pistol now though.

blaster likes this.
  9. blaster

blaster G&G Evangelist

you NEED a 300 BLK pistol! the giggles you will make while shooting it will be louder than the report.