close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

About 103,000 deaths were linked to hospital infections in 2000

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Doglips, Jul 20, 2002.

1. Doglips

Doglips G&G Newbie

Humm Now I know I post some goofee stuff....I do post the soucre when possible....In this case it is CNN...now read the artical...This is about USA Hospitals...not Afganastan or some place.

.things like "Many of the deaths were caused by unsanitary facilities, germ-laden instruments and unwashed hands, the newspaper said"

Now people tell me guns cause crime..mass deaths ect...But even if I hated guns and wanted to sleep with sara brady...it would be hard to imagin saying guns are more dangrous than drs/hospitals. In fact IF firearms killed this many people in the USA....even the most ardened members of this board would be calling for more gun control..
    by the way the top 4 killers are "hospital infections, the fourth leading cause of death in the United States behind heart disease, cancer and strokes. " (I thought it was AK, SKS, handguns and saturday night speciials)....

Report: Thousands die needlessly from hospital infections
    July 20, 2002 Posted: 4:27 PM EDT (2027 GMT)

Bridgeport Hospital in Connecticut was linked to dozens of patients' infections and one death in the late 1990s.

CHICAGO, Illinois (AP) -- About 103,000 deaths were linked to hospital infections in 2000 -- a figure 14 percent higher than government estimates -- and nearly 75 percent of the deaths were preventable, the Chicago Tribune reported.

The national Centers for Disease Control and Prevention last year calculated 90,000 deaths in 2000 were linked to hospital infections, the fourth leading cause of death in the United States behind heart disease, cancer and strokes.

Many of the deaths were caused by unsanitary facilities, germ-laden instruments and unwashed hands, the newspaper said in early Sunday editions distributed Saturday.

According to the report, infection rates are soaring nationally, exacerbated by hospital cutbacks and carelessness by doctors and nurses, and serious violations of infection-control standards have been found in the majority of hospitals.

Since 1995, more than 75 percent of all hospitals have been cited for serious cleanliness and sanitation violations.

Eunice Babcock needs husband Keith's help to walk after she was left weakened by a 1997 infection contracted during cardiac surgery at Bridgeport Hospital.
    Hospitals are not required to disclose infection rates, and most do not. Doctors are not required to tell patients about risk or exposure to hospital germs.

To document the rising rate of infection-related deaths, the newspaper analyzed records from 75 federal and state agencies, as well as internal hospital files, patient databases and court cases around the country.

CDC officials said they believe most hospital infections are preventable, but the agency has not arrived at a precise number.

The American Hospital Association said the last decade of unprecedented cost-cutting and financial instability has impacted all areas of hospital care.

"It's had an effect on infection control and it's had an effect on our ability to recruit and retain workers. It's had an effect on our ability to invest in new and updated equipment as much as we would like to," said Rick Wade, spokesman for the AHA.

"It's also a question in front of society. How much do you want to invest in high-quality, safe medical care?"

Among recent incidents in which hospital-linked infections were cited, the newspaper noted a 1998 case in which eight children died at a Chicago pediatric medical center; a 1997 Detroit case in which four babies died in 1997; and an infection at a West Palm Beach, Florida, hospital where 13 people cardiac patients died in the late 1990s.

Copyright 2002 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
    :eek:

2. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

Guns are safer than doctors ain't they?

3. Doglips

Doglips G&G Newbie

Rember the big flap about DR.s asking if we own guns...got to figure that killing 100,000 people a year they just wanted to make sure not to kill family members of us gun nuts :)

4. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

They don't like the competition,they'd rather kill us than have us dying by gunfire!

5. In the early 80's my cousin had a hysterectomy and the hospital miscounted the guaze in the OR and she got a serious infection from one left in her.

They decided to make a stance and came to find out, when she was released, in the itty bitty teensy winnie fine print of the release paperwork she signed was a thing saying she could not hold accountable the hospital stafff in the event they did something crazy like they did.

However, nothing was in the print about the lead OR Doctor and they went after him.

I guess you need to take along a Lawyer when you're released from the hospital, unless, of course, your Attorney is a brother of the Doctor.

But then again what can you expect from Doctors or Lawyers when they refer to their profession as a 'practice'?

You would think with the money they get from tax payer grants for education, and a few years of experience, they could get it right? LOL

Last edited: Jul 21, 2002