Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Firearm Aficionado
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided that I should go ahead and get the license for conceal carry.

I am very excited about this!

I am going to take a .22 ruger pistol with me...that way I save at least a little bit when I pay the $150 for the class.

·
Registered
17,218 Posts
In MO we're required to qualify on two different handguns. One must be a pistol and the other a revolver.

My question to you, though, is do you plan to use the .22 pistol as a ccw carry? Or will you use something with a larger caliber, for example a 9mm, .40 caliber, .357, etc? The main thing is to qualify on the gun you really plan to use as a ccw...not one that is simply easy to shoot. :right: :target: Most gun shops where CCW's are being taught have handguns available to rent fairly cheaply by the day. You might consider looking into that possibility.

Good luck, Tober! Keep us informed as to your progress.

·
Firearm Aficionado
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why waste the extra cash on bullets.

I plan on carrying a ruger SP101 that has been customized :)

·
Registered
17,218 Posts
Just seemed logical to me to use the carry piece when qualifying because that could save your life if things go south.

Guess you're implying that you've already achieved a high level of accuracy with the customized SP101 that would be sufficient for the CCW. In that case save a few bucks with the .22 Ruger pistol. :nod:

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
I would save a few dollars on target practice, but not on qualifying. If you are going to do it, do it right. Here in NC, you only need to use one pistol to qualify, and it can be any caliber. At the time I took CCW, I always carried a .45, so I qualified with the .45. I sometimes carry a small .22 and would qualify with the .22 if I felt so inclined. However, since I never carry my Ruger .22 for CCW but rather use it only for target shooting, then I can't see using it to qualify with. Granted, it may prove proficiency with a firearm, which is the entire concept of range qualification. It does not, however, demonstrate proficiency with the carry weapon.

L

·
0 Posts
my dad in Alaska qualified with a .45 ACP in pistol and a .45 Colt revolver so that he could carry any one of his guns..he said that if you qualified with a 9mm you had to carry a 9mm or smaller caliber pistol..revolvers are separate too..

I got my first carry license in Georgia ($50 for 5 years..great deal) when I moved here I traded my Georgia license in for an Alabama pistol license after paying the $35 annual fee..

·
Registered
177 Posts
After carrying otj for 30 years, and having held my CCW license since I retired 15 years ago, one thought comes to mind when I see folks getting their first carry licenses. One of the first things to consider is, are you ready to deal with the consequences? TV shows make gun fights/shootings look glasmorous, courageous, and sanitized. They are anything but. The impact of a slug on a human body is not a pretty thing. And you have to know as best that you can, in your own mind: can you pull the trigger on another person if you have to? Lots of folks like the "thrill" of carrying but if and when the moment comes; there isn't time to reconsider. If the bg sees that you have a weapon, then the bg will assume that you mean to use it and react to that assumption. It just appears that in many instances, the carrier hasn't considered the possible outcome. Be sure of yourself and if you carry, practice, practice, practice. And carry what you practice with. This certainly is not an indictment of those who cerry. Just a few thoughts.

·
Since 03-15- 2002
27,397 Posts
Can someone from a different state attend the CCW in another state. For example, I'd like to go to MO to qualify. mabe it would transfer if Il ever got it (yeah right) I'd just like to do it for the experience.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
jerry said:
Can someone from a different state attend the CCW in another state. For example, I'd like to go to MO to qualify. mabe it would transfer if Il ever got it (yeah right) I'd just like to do it for the experience.
I work with a guy from New Jersey who got a CCW from Florida through the mail. The permit is legal elsewhere, too. He eventually took a NC CCW class, as well.

·
][][][%
2,719 Posts
!!!!!!stop!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!STOP!!!!!!!
Gentemen, :wave:
I just recieved my CCW from the state of Florida.
IF YOU ARE A VETERAN,you may apply with a copy of your DD-214!
YES its TRUE. Go to www. packing.org and read the qualifications on the state of Florida.I found out after I took the CCW class and was given the runaround in MO.
YOU DO NOT HAVE TO TAKE THE CLASS IF YOU ARE A VETERAN!!!
You may find out some interesting info in the class, but it will cost 100-150 USD. I took the class from John Ross who wrote the book "Unintended Consequences" $125 by yourself,$100 if you bring a second person.
You can see all the info at www.john-ross.net
The class schedule is in there and people from 300-400 miles away come to attend his class. He has been one of the main persons to help ramrod CCW here in MO. Even the NRA wasnt as energised as Mr. Ross. He also furnishes the guns,ammo,site,and feeds you too. I got together five friends and all took the class together. You will also have the oppertunity to shoot full auto weapons. After taking his class I could see why any one would send to FL instead of thier home state. A lot more states accept FL CCW than any other,at least 25 maybe 27. Check it out PLEASE, before you spend your hard earned cash.
EVEN IF YOUR NOT A VETERAN YOU WILL HAVE THE PAPERWORK TO APPLY FOR NON-RESIDENT FL CCW!!!!!!! Look at packing.org and if you have any questions I WILL BE GLAD TO HELP YOU. It cost 117USD, as much again as the class,PLEASE LOOK IT UP!!!
Thank you very much.............Tony :hmmm:
PS YOU DO NOT HAVE TO QUALIFY WITH THE PISTOL/REVOLVER/GUN/CALIBER YOU ARE GOING TO CARRY!!!!! :cheer:

L

·
0 Posts
using Texas as an example

Chris said:
I am curious to how you get a CCW through another state.
Q: I spend a lot of time in Texas, but don't live here year round. Can I
get a license?
A: People who live in states that do not issue concealed handgun
licenses may apply for Texas licenses. Additional fees may be
charged to out-of-state applicants to cover the cost of conducting
background checks in other states. If you live in a state that issues
concealed handgun licenses, check for a reciprocity agreement or
proclamation issued by Texas recognizing the license issued in your
state. Also, if you have a permanent residence in Texas and a Texas
56 TEXAS CONCEALED HANDGUN LAWS
driver license or identification card, you may apply for a license even if
you do not live here for the entire year.
Q: If I move to another state, do I have to turn in my license to DPS?
A: Maybe. If you plan to keep your Texas residency (your driver
license, permanent address, voter registration, etc.), you may keep
your license. Students frequently attend universities in other states but
maintain their Texas residency. If you do move out of state and get a
new driver license there, or intend to make it your residence, the move
probably will be viewed as permanent and you may be expected to
turn in your license.
Q: Can others find out if I am licensed to carry a concealed handgun?
A: Yes. Information may be provided about specific, named individuals
as a part of the public record.
Q: How long will my license be valid?
A: Permits are issued for four year terms.
Q: If I am only 20 years old, can I take the proficiency class and still get
a license when I turn 21?
A: It is best not to take the course more than six months before your
21st birthday so that your proficiency certificate is current. Your application
may not be turned in to the DPS until your 21st birthday.
Q: Can an affidavit from my application packet be notarized in a county
other than the one where I live?
A: Yes. DPS will accept affidavits as long as they are notarized in
Texas. Applicants who qualify for non-resident licenses may have their
packets notarized in their state of residence.

from their FAQ link here http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/administration/crime_records/chl/reciprocity.htm

·
][][][%
2,719 Posts
Texas honors FL permits,and it seems easier.....................Tony

·
Registered
8,921 Posts
jerry said:
Jerry check with the guys on Packing.org

·
Registered
177 Posts
Tober said:
Why waste the extra cash on bullets.

I plan on carrying a ruger SP101 that has been customized :)
As has been said, it's really in your best interests to train/qualify with the weapon you'll be carrying.
Good luck.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts