close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Accurizing ??s.

Discussion in 'Mosin Nagant' started by Mkrauss, Feb 16, 2017.

1. Mkrauss

Mkrauss G&G Newbie

I understand and have completed most of the fine tuning that can be done on a mosin. Trigger, Barrel recrown, freefloating stock, . The last two things I was going to do were pillar and glass bedding. Can someone tell me exactly what the advantage of bedding is. I understand how to do it but why does it make the gun more accurate. Every time you get set to take a shot you line up the front and rear sight. These never change. They are fixed to the barrel/ reciever.it wouldn't matter.if the stock moved balf an inch since the previous shot. I am exaggerating but seriously what dont i understand about it. I am fairly new to all this so bring on the knowledge. Thanks

2. TACAV

TACAV G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

When you have your action installed in your stock without the bedding, it might not (probably won't be) a perfect fit and even after you tighten everything down in there you create uneven stress points around the screws/bolts or whatever. The action is sort of... I don't want to say "floating" but it's not in even/consistent contact with the stock throughout it's length. it might be pushing more against the stock in some places like around the attachment points to the stock, and less or not at all in other places. we are talking very small tolerances here.. but these willl cause flex which then cause accuracy loss. When you bed the rifle you are making everything fit nice and flush together so there is less stress points on the action and thus there will be minimal flexing when you fire the gun... or at least keep any remaining flex consistent throughout each shot.

3. Mkrauss

Mkrauss G&G Newbie

So it is more about flex than anything else. I was thinking it was more about keeping everything in the same location. Lack of movement i guess. Glad to learn more. I guess i will go ahead and do it then.

4. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

While bedding the receiver can be beneficial, bedding the barrel likely will hurt. It rarely works with long military stocks with upper handguards. Floating the barrel is usually better, though again difficult with the handguard.
    With standard sporting stocks, I bed the receiver, then use a small pressure pad at the front of the stock.