close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Ackley Improved Rounds?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Rooster, Jul 27, 2002.

1. Rooster

Rooster G&G Newbie

I'm looking for some information on the Ackley improved cartridges and reload information. Something that would list the different improved rounds and thier advantages. I've looked on several of the reload sites I usually check, but not too much info. Either internet or in book form would be helpful.

2. jarcp

jarcp G&G Newbie

Rooster, Which Ackley round? or do you wan tthe info on all of them?

3. Rooster

Rooster G&G Newbie

I would like to read up on them all but I'm considering re-chambering a 30-30 to the AI. I'm looking for some reload info also.

4. jarcp

jarcp G&G Newbie

For the .30-30 AI, I show load data as
    130g SP 36.0g of W748 Velocity of about 2380 ME of 1645

also a 150g sp 37g of IMR3031 vel. of about 2600 ME of 2280

I also have data for 110,130,150, and 170 if you need.

5. dave375hh

dave375hh G&G Newbie Forum Contributor

Ohio
    Rooster,

You can still buy P O Ackley's "Handbook for Shooters and Reloaders" vol. 1 & 2 from Sinclair Intn. in Ft Wayne IN.

www.sinclairintl.com

6. Rooster

Rooster G&G Newbie

Jcarp,
    What was the source of your info? I read elsewhere that you could take published data and add 5% to the min and max which would get you started for the AI's. Do you have a manual that lists AI's or just worked up your own?

I going to check out those books on Ackley.
    thanks

7. dave375hh

Ohio
    Rooster,

I have them if you just want to look up something. let me know.

8. jarcp

jarcp G&G Newbie

Rooster I pulled those loads out of "Cartridges Of The World" 9th Addition. I believe those loads are max, so I would drop them 10% and work from there. Not the other way around.

9. jarcp

jarcp G&G Newbie

Dave, how do those loads I posted look compared to the loads in your books? max? min? way off?

10. dave375hh

Ohio
    Jcarp,
    From the book as follows;
    30-30AI

125gr- 39gr 3031=2940
    35gr 4198=2940
    150gr- 34gr-4198=2700
    38gr- 3031=2700
    40gr- 4320=2500
    This book was written in '62 and many of the newer powders were not available then. I would consider all these loads to be max and work them up as needed. No one ever accused ol' PO of being afraid to tip the can with his loads. Caution would be prudent. There are no loads listed for W748 but that's due to the age of the book not the suitabilty of the powder as it works well in the std. 30-30 and should in the AI as well.
    If it was me I think I'd work up a load with RL-15 to see what it would do. The RL series work very well with sharp shouldered cases for some reason.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2002
  11. Rooster

Rooster G&G Newbie

The article I read was using the "standard" round and going up 5%. Use the 30-30 data and go up 5% for min and max loads which the article stated would be a good place to start.

I went to the sinclair site and read about the books on Ackley but it said the reload info was outdated, is it still worth the purchase. Is there a reload mannual out there that lists Improved cartridges? I'll probably get the books just for reading/reference.
    thanks

12. dave375hh

Ohio
    Rooster,
    They were worth it to me because sometimes it's the only place an oddball wildcat is ever listed. The majority of these two vol. are wildcats other than Ackley's. All the AI's are there but so are hundreds of others. Hey you never know when a super nice old sprgfd. or custom Mauser will show up with a wildcat chambering that you never heard of at a dirt cheap price because they never heard of it either. These books give you at least a starting point.

I would have to agree that the data is outdated as far as the powders that arn't included, as well as some that are discontinued. It's a good read, but dosen't replace my modern manuals untill you run into an oddball.

13. Rooster

Rooster G&G Newbie

I found another place that I may be able to get the books a little cheaper. Amazon.com has a place where they sell out of print books so i listed the Ackley book. We'll see what happens.
    thank for the info.

14. dave375hh

Ohio
    Rooster,
    my present copys say they are the 22 nd printing done in '98, and are soft cover. My original hard cover copys were perminently borrowed by somebody and I couldn't remember who. So I ended up buying them twice. The admin won't let me print what I feel about that LOL!